Why become a member? ×

Preferring The 'Wrong' Version

9 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

18 hours in and nobody has yet mentioned Valerie?

Sorry, but I play and sing that in a duo and lean on the Amy Winehouse version as it’s a foot tapper.   The original is too slow.
Proud Mary and Have You Ever Seen The Rain very much like the CCR versions. 

3 hours ago, Cliff Edge said:

Sorry, but I play and sing that in a duo and lean on the Amy Winehouse version as it’s a foot tapper.   The original is too slow.
Proud Mary and Have You Ever Seen The Rain very much like the CCR versions. 

There's another notable version of Have You Ever Seen the Rain?

Oh, and sorry to be the pedant, but that would be Mark Robson's version of Valerie. Amy's own version was possibly even slower than the original.

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

For me it’d be the Bonnie Tyler version on ‘Faster Than the Speed of Night’.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Oh, and sorry to be the pedant, but that would be Mark Robson's version of Valerie. Amy's own version was possibly even slower than the original.

No problem, pedant away, you are right of course. And I haven’t heard that version of Have You Ever Seen The Rain, I shall look it up, thanks. 

Tons of 80s tracks were taken directly from the 50s originals. And tons of 50s tracks were taken from the 30's originals. 

It's a tradition handed down through the generations in my house. My grandad told my dad what the originals were, my dad told me, and now I'm telling my son...

On 01/04/2024 at 22:09, TheGreek said:

Soft Cell's version of "Tainted Love" is probably now considered the "go to" version with the majority of the population not knowing it was by Mrs Marc Bolan.

We played it but based ours on the version by Prosac+

Another gor me is the Frankie Goes To Holywood version of Born To Fun over the Springsteen version.

Edited by mep
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Oh ... and  a Frijid Pink style House ofvthe Rusing Sun.

That was one of the first 45 rpm records I bought, haven’t heard it in ages. On Deram records IIRC.

On 02/04/2024 at 10:42, Henrythe8 said:

It's actually Marylin Manson's version that is the Go To nowadays. 🙂 

Never heard anyone do mansons cover of that. My last group did tainted love, the original version, whcih I think beats all the others.

On the other hand, I doubt there are few who would disagree that Hard Corps Back in Black is clearly better than the original :D

On 02/04/2024 at 10:05, Happy Jack said:

18 hours in and nobody has yet mentioned Valerie?

The Zutons' original actually makes sense. The Ronson/Winehouse version has a feel that is completely at odds with the lyrical content. It's a fun sounding tune, but I much prefer the original. 

• Like 1

Tainted Love?  We do an unholy alliance of three versions - the pace of the Gloria Jones, the structure and "rockness" of the Scorpions, and the "*emphasised double hit* run away"ness of the Soft Cell.  As long as the people at the gig like it, I don't really care what anyone else thinks about it.

Edited by neepheid

I'm ashamed to admit I've played the Alien Ant Farm version of Smooth Criminal, the Gun version of Word Up, and the Kula Shaker version of Hush.  In a completely different band we did the Beatles version of Twist and Shout, the Eric Clapton versions of Cocaine and I Shot the Sheriff.

I've only ever played the original versions of Walk This Way, Valerie and Proud Mary and I wish there had been cooler cover versions of Colbie Collait's Bubbly and Kylie's Cant Get You Outta My Head but these were played pretty close to the original.

Actually to be fair when we do a cover version we do it in the style, rather than someone's version.

We have guitar, bass and drums. So many songs are just what arrangements we come up with to approximate something recognisable. 

I tend to prefer our versions and I suspect that's what must of us do, even if we won't admit it. 

Going back and listening to the 'original' after we have been playing something a while is quite odd and can often lead to some confusion as to how 'our version' goes. 

Edited by TimR

On 02/04/2024 at 12:35, Cat Burrito said:

I was in a Creedence Clearwater Revival tribute for 6 years so we didn't have a choice. 

I grew up with the Sisters of Mercy version so never liked the GnR version and I must confess I heard the Sisters before Dylan's original. 

I love the Sisters cover of Confide in me

• Like 1