Why become a member? ×

American Deluxe Precision vs MM5 Bongo

Faithless

So, just as I was ready to pull a trigger on a 5MM BONGO, this turned up to our local shop for around a thousand quid:

It's a American Deluxe P with active pre, made in 2007.

I was ready to get myself a MM5 Bongo (1400), but now I'm thinking, which one of these axes is more versatile?

I'm doing session pop work, and I already have a Mayones Jabba 5 Jazz in my arsenal, so "jazz" side of things is covered - I'd like myself something different and modern at the same time.

I'm not a particular fan of P, tbh, but it could be interesting for a change..

Opinions, go.

image.thumb.png.ea22d2042ce1f8102d5a51f4ec51dbea.png

image.thumb.png.c4a2aa9957f51f09e3c635c685e4260f.png

Well, obviously its whichever you prefer, as you get a chance to play both, but I am not sure that there is much of a question on versatile. Do you want something that sounds like a P or something that can sound like other things.

If you are doing session work a P is generally something you have as a lot of producers only want that. If you want modern, the bongo is it.

20 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, obviously its whichever you prefer, as you get a chance to play both, but I am not sure that there is much of a question on versatile. Do you want something that sounds like a P or something that can sound like other things.

If you are doing session work a P is generally something you have as a lot of producers only want that. If you want modern, the bongo is it.

That makes sense.

With the Fender, I was kind of hoping to kill two birds with one stone, since it looks it got a H at the bridge..

Well the Fender will obviously do Precision and looking at the bridge pickup you’d expect a good impression of a Stingray, plus the blend and eq options available. You say you’ve Jazz bass covered, the Fender gets the rest of the classic trio.

• Like 1

Maybe tastes are different in Lithuania, but as you are already doing session work, I'm surprised that you're not already being asked to bring a Precision. I'd already have one, but I'm biased.

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

Well the Fender will obviously do Precision and looking at the bridge pickup you’d expect a good impression of a Stingray, plus the blend and eq options available. You say you’ve Jazz bass covered, the Fender gets the rest of the classic trio.

That's what I was thinking, Lozz, thanks!

Just now, chris_b said:

Maybe tastes are different in Lithuania, but as you are already doing session work, I'm surprised that you're not already being asked to bring a Precision. I'd already have one, but I'm biased.

Well, it's a bit of a stereotype you 'need' this or that on a gig.
I'm not doing studio work, I'm a touring sideman, and these days most of work is done on keybass, rather than electric.

Actually, last tour I did, I didn't even bring an electric to it.

• Like 1

I am familiar with both these basses and there's pros and cons to either. 

The Fender sounds hefty with the active EQ and P/H pickup configuration.  It does classic Fender tone with a bit of a modern twist. It does not however, sound much like a Stingray on the rear humbucker. It's much more of a chunky Fender tone than the  typical scooped-out Music Man zing. The early model of that bass ( late90's early 2000's) had a very big chunky neck, but the one pictured looks to have a narrower nut width. It's worth investigating if the neck profile suits you, though.

The Bongo is an entirely different proposition. It's a big, beefy and very modern tone with loads of punch and attitude. On the five string model though, I would be aware that the G string  is usually very close to the edge of the fingerboard and has a tendency towards slipping off the edge. It's a major irritation to a lot of players, myself included. The 17.5mm string spacing is also a little tight to some people. Other than those idiosyncrasies it's a superb bass.  Sounds as good if not better than any modern boutique bass on the market in my opinion. If you specifically want a modern non-Fender kind of sound it's a very good proposition.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Misdee said:

I am familiar with both these basses and there's pros and cons to either. 

The Fender sounds hefty with the active equipment and P/H pickup configuration.  It does classic Fender tone with a bit of a modern twist. It does not however, sound much like a Stingray on the rear humbucker. It's much more of a chunky Fender tone than the  typical scooped-out Music Man zing. The early model of that bass ( late90's early 2000's) had a very big chunky neck, but the one pictured looks to have a narrower nut width. It's worth investigating if the neck profile suits you, though.

The Bongo is an entirely different proposition. It's a big, beefy and very modern tone with loads of punch and attitude. On the five string model though, I would be aware that the G string tends to be very close to the edge of the fingerboard and has a tendency towards slipping off the edge. It's a major irritation to a lot of players, myself included. The 17.5mm string spacing is also a little tight to some people. Other than those idiosyncrasies it's a superb bass.  Sounds as good if not better than any modern boutique bass on the market in my opinion. If you specifically want a modern non-Fender kind of sound it's a very good proposition.

Wow, Misdee, thank you for such a detailed reply, exactly what I was looking for.

Following on from Misdee’s answer, I have a 2003 model of the P deluxe and it does have a slim Jazz-width neck. One other thing to note, the active circuitry requires two 9v batteries and they require a screwdriver to access them. 

@Misdee has it spot-on.

I tried the Deluxe P with the TJ humbucker at the bridge back in the day.

I very nearly bought it. Thought the active EQ was a bit crude sounding and the pots felt sloppier than I'd have liked. Otherwise, it was a very good bass. I prefer the twin coil bridge pickup. Although they sound tonally "thicker" than a single J, the extra output balances the P better. 

I currently own a Bongo 6HH. 

Someone did their R&D on the electrics for those basses. They can do most things well. Just a quick tweak of the 4 band EQ will get you where you want to be.

The aesthetics aren't to everyone's taste, but the ergonomics are sound (apart from the bottom horn digging into your thigh if you don't position it well whilst seated.)

Either bass would be a fine addition. 

Which you choose really depends on;

•Which one you prefer when you play it.

•What other basses you already own and how it fits into your collection- is is replacing something or do you want something completely different?

1 hour ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

@Misdee has it spot-on.

I tried the Deluxe P with the TJ humbucker at the bridge back in the day.

I very nearly bought it. Thought the active EQ was a bit crude sounding and the pots felt sloppier than I'd have liked. Otherwise, it was a very good bass. I prefer the twin coil bridge pickup. Although they sound tonally "thicker" than a single J, the extra output balances the P better. 

I currently own a Bongo 6HH. 

Someone did their R&D on the electrics for those basses. They can do most things well. Just a quick tweak of the 4 band EQ will get you where you want to be.

The aesthetics aren't to everyone's taste, but the ergonomics are sound (apart from the bottom horn digging into your thigh if you don't position it well whilst seated.)

Either bass would be a fine addition. 

Which you choose really depends on;

•Which one you prefer when you play it.

•What other basses you already own and how it fits into your collection- is is replacing something or do you want something completely different?

Hey there,

Thanks for your reply, fair points I see.

I currently only own a 5-Jazz which got me through everything.

I was wanting to add something for a change, and I'm an active eq proponent, so this Bongo felt like a nice addition, but since that P+H popped out for less money, I started having second thoughts.

Unfortunately, P's only four strings, and I'm a 5 player, and, considering everyone's impressions on it, looks like the MM5 is a better way to, at least where I'm going, which is heavy pop-rnb kind of stuff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Faithless said:

Unfortunately, P's only four strings, and I'm a 5 player, and, considering everyone's impressions on it, looks like the MM5 is a better way to, at least where I'm going, which is heavy pop-rnb kind of stuff.

Every so often some 4 string bass seems very appealing, and I forget that I play 5 strings almost exclusively. Then i end up not playing it and sell it. Then the cycle repeats!

On 26/03/2024 at 22:02, TheGreek said:

Expect every toilet seat pun/ joke out there.

But in my experience only occasionally, and always from bass players, who represent a part of the small percentage of those who frequent bass fora 😀 and an even smaller proportion of bass players overall - so almost never. 

You’ll find the pointy headstock an excellent implement if/when you encounter such people (in my experience they usually are wielding some form of P bass in sunburst and rarely get further than 8th notes (if that) on open strings 😵‍💫)

Anyway, back to reality - the Bongo 5HH is an extremely versatile instrument - and as with any active bass, you can get towards a more vintage tone (if that’s what you want sometimes) by plucking the strings over the neck joint. 

My experience with gigging Bongos has been people asking what sort of bass it is and how refreshing to see and hear a bass that’s not a boring thing hiding in the corner and barely audible. 

I would concur that the P Special in P/H form doesn’t sound like a Musicman humbucker - I also tried one at one stage but ended up buying a Stingray 5 after trying loads of different 5 strings (the couple of Bongos came later). 

They're great to play, have rock solid construction, great overall quality and are highly versatile. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

But in my experience only occasionally, and always from bass players, who represent a part of the small percentage of those who frequent bass fora 😀 and an even smaller proportion of bass players overall - so almost never. 

I must admit since having a bongo, I haven't had any negative comments by anyone in person. I have actually had positive comments on it, and people do notice it, in a way they don't really with fender shaped objects. If you are someone who wants to blend into the background, a bongo certainly isn't the right bass.

• Like 1

I think a lot of folks who are critical of the Bongo's looks haven't seen one in the flesh. The 3D chamfering of the body and semi-arch top blend beautifully with the angular lines, to my taste anyway.

It was a shock to me that so many people find the looks of that bass so objectionable. When I first saw an image of the  Bongo when they first came out I thought EBMM would struggle to keep up with demand. 

I really like how the Bongo looks, and I also like the way it sounds how it looks; unique.

I have a 97 American Deluxe P and I adore it!!!!

I also have a US Stingray, A US SUB and a US Darkray and I can categorically say that the humbucker in the bridge position on the Am. Deluxre P sounds NOTHING like a Musicman.

In theory there is some similarity between the two, but in terms of sound, they are very very different. The P doesn't have that Ray 'Zing' (I call it the gurgle, lol).

It is definitely a humbucker and has a wonderful tone all of it's own, just not as hot or throaty as the Ray sound, even with everything boosted. I watched a review of a Meteora recently and it sort of reminded me of the P's bridge pickup -perhaps they are similar units/preamps...? Now that I think of it, I saw the The Breeders play in Christchurch in January and Josephine Wiggs had a Meteora on stage for most of the set (Kim Deal used it on Gigantic to close the set) and it definitely sounded quite similar, not sure if one of the pickups was solo'd or not.

It does also sound stunning when blended in with the P pickup to give it a real 'P-on-Steroids' feel, but yeah, totally different vibes.

I mainly use passive Fender basses with one band I play in, mostly P's and when I record, I often use the Deluxe (though I may start favoring my newly-acquired 2004 QMT AM DLX Jazz for this soon - we'll see - horses for courses, as they say) to give me a bit more oomph/clarity. 

I use Rays and my Aria live with a heavier band I play in and find they sit perfectly in the mix for what I need them to do - mostly cranked and clanking through my Darkglass/dUg rig.

I've only played Bongos a couple of times and both were 5-strings - not my forte sadly, so can't comment too much on them based on that, other than to say I would happily own a 4 string. The shape is a little 'kooky' for my tastes typically, but there is just something so unique about the look of them. And I am given to understand they are excellent all-rounders, given their controls and tonal versatility etc.

I guess it all comes down to use - is the Bongo going to fit the bill better than the Precision Deluxe? Is one going to be a better all-rounder than the other? Is there a particular tone you want to have? etc. etc.

On 26/03/2024 at 13:45, Lozz196 said:

The bridge pickup is in the jazz position, not the Stingray position. Neither will do a decent Stingray impression.

34 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

And don't forget the other bonus of a bongo, when the singer encroaches into your space and head buts your headstock, he will remember the bongo much longer than the fender!

Def a winning option!