Why become a member? ×

Small venue / pub band lighting

How do you pub gigging bands deal with setting up your own lights etc ?

Our band has a large tripod light bar T that has four large lights but these take up loads of floor space at the back ( mostly in my way )

We have lights that sit in front of the drums and a laser. Then two floor lights heading back towards the band.

It’s a challenge placing lights around a band in small venues but having them adds to the show for sure. 

How do you guys deal with this issue of limited floor space where tri pod light stands just get in the way ? 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1

I bolt two Mega Tripar lights into the M10 flying points on top of my QSC K10s FOH cabs. Two flood across the front and two point onto the drum kit. Uplight drums with another single light under the toms.

No lighting stand required.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, okusman said:

I bolt two Mega Tripar lights into the M10 flying points on top of my QSC K10s FOH cabs. Two flood across the front and two point onto the drum kit. Uplight drums with another single light under the toms.

No lighting stand required.

That’s a great idea, will look into how we can do that with our set up. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Just looked these up. Bax has them for 60 quid but claims they should be 300. Can this be right?

Nah. They are an old design - LED bulbs have improved!

£60 is about right

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

How do you pub gigging bands deal with setting up your own lights etc ?

Our band has a large tripod light bar T that has four large lights but these take up loads of floor space at the back ( mostly in my way )

We have lights that sit in front of the drums and a laser. Then two floor lights heading back towards the band.

It’s a challenge placing lights around a band in small venues but having them adds to the show for sure. 

How do you guys deal with this issue of limited floor space where tri pod light stands just get in the way ? 

We scale back to fit the venue. We're not going to bring our full arsenal of lighting into a small space gig.

Daryl

• Like 2

I started off down this road, with a few LED Par cans controlled via QLC from a foot switch I built so that we could have subtle colour washes, changing along with the music etc., but gave up because pubs kept turning on their own over-the-top spinny flashy stuff anyway and it just negated any subtlety I was trying to introduce 😂

• Like 2

Hi, we use 2 of these ( sometimes 1 in a small space).   https://www.jpleisure.co.uk/item34.htm    We fit these onto poles fitted into upside down top hats in our speakers, so no extra stands required.   Works really well ( via a small controller) . Due to room constraints we often need to sit one top speaker (hiSys 2) onto a sub, including a suitable piece of ply between, to form a support shelf for controller and my cider.

• Like 1

After a recommendation on here I bought a set of 4 of these (and at £45 they are cheaper now!):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196277545605?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338749393&toolid=20006&customid=GB_159912_196277545605.142099703759~1870851639525-g_Cj0KCQjw-r-vBhC-ARIsAGgUO2AFi_7aw8qg5ekEYgudJCI6_wHPQqq2NflIlZEduwTzLl_ciEo7neMaAoi3EALw_wcB

They are quite frankly astonishing for the money.  They somehow remember their last settings so I have them paired two at the front together (I numbered them so I wouldn't get them mixed up), two at the back together, just doing a slow colour wash change.  Doesn't matter what order or how slowly you plug them in, they catch up and soon sync with each other.  Chuck them on the floor so they shine up the wall.  But they will chase or do the school disco flashing if you want them to - all controlled via an app.  Can't recommend them highly enough.

• Like 2

I've got four of the flat LED PAR units which were around £12 each from Aliexpress, and we just put them on the floor pointing up. I do have a PAR bar too, but it's extra hassle and stage room so ICBA to take it out. I'm having a look at DMX control of the PAR cans just so they can do a few interesting things.

• Like 2

On 12/03/2024 at 18:24, Paul S said:

After a recommendation on here I bought a set of 4 of these (and at £45 they are cheaper now!):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196277545605?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338749393&toolid=20006&customid=GB_159912_196277545605.142099703759~1870851639525-g_Cj0KCQjw-r-vBhC-ARIsAGgUO2AFi_7aw8qg5ekEYgudJCI6_wHPQqq2NflIlZEduwTzLl_ciEo7neMaAoi3EALw_wcB

They are quite frankly astonishing for the money.  They somehow remember their last settings so I have them paired two at the front together (I numbered them so I wouldn't get them mixed up), two at the back together, just doing a slow colour wash change.  Doesn't matter what order or how slowly you plug them in, they catch up and soon sync with each other.  Chuck them on the floor so they shine up the wall.  But they will chase or do the school disco flashing if you want them to - all controlled via an app.  Can't recommend them highly enough.

I have some very similar ones from Hao Deng on Amazon. I have three synced to colour change slowly and one set to white as a spotlight. Can't recommend enough. The only downside is that they do rather shine up your nose. PXL_20220827_190832286.thumb.jpg.a5301be337d4b56347a4c0138b7cc033.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok we think a solution to helping is to use two of our led spotlights mounted on the top of the PA speakers either side and shine them down towards the kick drum 

This would provide waist level fretboard light too and less rabbits in headlights affect !! 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 1