Why become a member? ×

what do those two protruding metal bollards flanking the row of saddles on a stingray do?

It's both.

They help secure the bridge to the body AND prevent sideways movement of the saddles.

If you look at a 4/5/6 string version of the bridge, the positions are slightly different (as well as being father apart) to accommodate the different spread of saddle positions to achieve correct intonation in a 4,5 or 6* respectively. 

* 6 is Bongo only,  but it's the same unit. 5 is shared by lots of models,  as is the 4.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ahpook said:

May I just say that 'bollards' is a wonderful word and a perfect description of the parts in question.

:)

To prevent any ambiguity:

Bollards are great for metal.

• Haha 5

On 11/10/2019 at 17:49, ikay said:

They screw into threaded inserts in the body as part of the bridge mounting mechanism along with the three screws at the tail end

1031208855_Stingraybridgemounting.jpg.be6d2ab39be07d31611aff15c81b7c7a.jpg

Quoting a post from another thread… the “bollards” are machine bolts that go into the threaded metal inserts set into the body 

33 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Quoting a post from another thread… the “bollards” are machine bolts that go into the threaded metal inserts set into the body 

What is the middle hole for the then (not the small crooked one for the bridge ground wire, but the bigger one pretty much exactly in the middle)?

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

What is the middle hole for the then (not the small crooked one for the bridge ground wire, but the bigger one pretty much exactly in the middle)?

No idea! Holding it on the router maybe? 

• Like 1

I think I prefer the G&L bass bridge design.

Arguably,  it'd be too wide as a 6 string unit.

I like the way it's set into a rout in the body, plus the ability to lock the saddles with a lateral grub screw.

If you end up with odd saddle positions to achieve intonation,  the MM bridge posts might not make the right contact with them.

Since they lack the recessed tracks for the height adjustment screws that some bridges have (Fender, for example), the saddles are free to skate around willy-nilly. My OLP 5 lacked the bridge posts,  and every time I plucked a string,  most of the energy was used in disturbing the saddles rather than making the string vibrate.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, rhysyjob said:

From an engineering perspective the bollards make perfect sense. Sound anchor, bridge to body fixing and saddle guide.

It’s interesting that EBMM have dropped them from the latest Stingrays though, and nobody seems to be complaining. 

9 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I think I prefer the G&L bass bridge design.

Arguably,  it'd be too wide as a 6 string unit.

I like the way it's set into a rout in the body, plus the ability to lock the saddles with a lateral grub screw.

If you end up with odd saddle positions to achieve intonation,  the MM bridge posts might not make the right contact with them.

Since they lack the recessed tracks for the height adjustment screws that some bridges have (Fender, for example), the saddles are free to skate around willy-nilly. My OLP 5 lacked the bridge posts,  and every time I plucked a string,  most of the energy was used in disturbing the saddles rather than making the string vibrate.

The posts really are not there to prevent lateral movement. The downward force from the string tension is plenty to keep the saddle in place, your old may have had different issues.

The intonation will often put the saddle in front or behind the mounting screw and is allowed to move freely if it could. But they won't.

image.png.9c25ab42ff185dce6a6efd0748fc1030.png

2 hours ago, pineweasel said:

It’s interesting that EBMM have dropped them from the latest Stingrays though, and nobody seems to be complaining. 

Fender went to 3 bolt necks in the 70’s 

😁

On 03/03/2024 at 18:12, pineweasel said:

Nobody can afford a new Stingray anymore 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2