Why become a member? ×

Barefaced 210st questions.

BlackCrow

Hello fellow bassists. I am looking at the Barefaced 210 8ohm. I am going to pair with a Mesa D800+ head which will output 400w @ 8ohm. I have researched extensively and exchanged e-mails with Alex@BF, watched all of BF you-tube vids regarding their product, but was interested in some real world feedback. My question is : How does a BF210 hold up for a rehearsal with a fairly loud band with all other factors considered being equal? Thank you. 

Yessir, i think i knew the answer to the question before i asked, meaning a BF210 might keep up, or it might not, depending.. I Understand your response. I feel now that i was hoping for some BF afficianados to overwhelmingly respond with positives so i could justify the expense in my own mind and convince myself it wasnt g.a.s. and that i actually "need" it. 😉 

• Like 1

What did you use in your last band? Give us some clues.

Owners responding saying "I play in a loud band and it does fine" leaves everyone with no new information. It won't tell you anything more than you already know. You can't expect fountains of info while giving nothing.

Every drummer is loud. Some guitar amps are known for more volume than others.

• Like 1

I had a bf 210 at one stage. Well, I had two. Some people swear by them, but they just weren't for me. 

Best advice is buy one second hand, if you don't like it, sell it on for the same price. 

To be fair any modern 210 should keep up with any band if everything eq wise is set up properly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Owners responding saying "I play in a loud band and it does fine" leaves everyone with no new information. It won't tell you anything more than you already know. 

Probably going to do exactly that, so apologies but I will turn it round: I would be worried about hearing damage, if I played in a band where my Two10 was not loud enough to keep up. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BlackCrow said:

My question is : How does a BF210 hold up for a rehearsal 

Rehearsal? Unless you're rehearsing at The Who style volume levels then it will be way more than capable of delivering what you need.

At any real gig big/loud enough that you might run out of headroom you'll have PA support anyway.

@Obrienp is spot on with his comment about hearing damage.

• Like 4

Plenty of us have a BF 210. I don't use mine at rehearsals, but it's more than adequate on stage with our drummer and guitarist who also goes through the monitor. Your Amp sounds like it will do the job too.

I have a pair of the early 210s in 4 ohm before the switchable impedance was a thing.

For 90% of what I do, I only need one cab.  I run it with a Carvin head which does about 600W at 4ohm IIRC.   I rarely turn it above 12 o'clock and that to me is uncomfortably loud.  I guess it is down to your perception of what uncomfortably loud is.

I don't know how running one at 8 ohm would decrease this though.  I have the Carvin because Alex recommended this as a good amp capable of handing high power at 2 ohms when I use both 4 ohm cabs together.  I have a 2 channel Ashdown Little Giant as a backup that runs one cab per channel, but to me I think I can hear that running out of steam at higher volumes.

I don't know if any of this helps you whatsoever!

• Like 1

I have 2 - BF 210's

For rehearsals I just use one, against a Marshall 412 and loud drummer.

We play hard rock / grunge / stoner stuff, where the bass is quite prominent. 

The right amp and setting and your laughing.

In comparison, prior to this I had an Ashdown Neo 210 for rehearsals and although that was a good little cab, quite directional, and had to have it sat vertical to get a decent pull.

The BF 210 is more akin to other brands 410's. It goes louder, deeper and disperses better. I can keep it horizontal and not have to worry about not hearing it.

• Like 1

I think it is all dependent on the drummer. In one of my bands a BF210 would be fine, with more to go. In the other I’m pushing whatever 600w amp is there into an Ampeg 810 and just about get there.

• Like 2

I use an Ampeg SVt 212 and it’s always loud enough for a very loud rock band 

I guess a 210 would hang there just about but I would lean towards 212 4ohm cab or two 210 8 ohm cabs 

I think BF can do loud but it may not be pleasant to your ears so only you can decide as suggested 

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I think it is all dependent on the drummer. In one of my bands a BF210 would be fine, with more to go. In the other I’m pushing whatever 600w amp is there into an Ampeg 810 and just about get there.

Precisely why I posted what I posted. Context is everything when getting by with the BF210, even if it is a fair bit more capable than others.

If a drummer is used to playing with quiet energy then it's on the guitars and bass to not be blowing up the room.

It's still a complete guess how loud the OP band really is.

Thank you Gentlemen for the replies. More info: Mesa d800+ head 400w @8ohms into GK 212neo 500watts RMS@8ohms.. Bass: EMG DCX@ Neck. EMG CSX@ bridge. EMG BTS active e.q.. Daddario NYC Nickel Rounds light guage...(Have tried Flats as well).. Pedals: TC Polytune Mini into Keeley Bassist compressor into DarkGlass Vintage Microtubes (set mostly clean)..Band: Drummer with an A.S. degree in music with a jazz background with good dynamic control...2 guitarists with Epi les pauls on a Peavey 50watt 2x12 and a Fender 25watt, both with various Boss Delay, Reverb pedals. Gigs: Decent P.A. support with some mixes better than other depending on the sound guy...Rehearsal: No p.a. support. We try and get a mix as best we can.. Rehearsal Space: Large enough that we can spread out into a "stage type configuration and spread"...Music Played: Original "Alternative Metal" in Drop-D tuning with one guitarist focusing on harmonic riffs, 2nd guitar focusing on complimentary rythm, bass and guitar driving the band on an equal footing, but since he is a good drummer and i am no slouch on bass, we have our moments to shine within certain songs. Mesa head and GK cab have sufficient db for rehearsal. But there is a baked in "clank and grind" to the GK cab that i have not managed to e.q. out with the bass controls or the e.q. on the Mesa head or the e.q. on the Darkglass pedal.  This tone does not sit well in the mix with this band...Thus the interest in Barefaced cabs. Have tried an Ampeg PF500 through the GK cab. Same "clank and grind" no matter e.q.... Tried another bass, ESP Vintage214 P/J with EMG GB passive pickups with passive e.q through both heads....same GK tone. Pretty sure its the GK cab with the tone that isnt working.. Thus the question regarding Barefaced cabs and regarding the db capacity of the BF210ST 8ohm that if it could fairly equal the db through the GK212 that i already have regardless of manufacturer posted specs of cab db. Was looking for real time opinions of if BF210 is loud enough all other things being equal vs reviews and opinions of other 210 cabs which i have read on multiple other forums as not being loud enough, realizing that "Loud Enough" is a relative term. Thank you all and goodnight.

And if that is not enough information, I only use Duracell batteries to power the active EMG pre-amp and active pickups running to a Mogami Gold 6ft cable  with one straight 1/4 inch end into the pedal chain and a 90 degree 1/4" end into the bass. The Voodoo Labs pedalboard which powers all my pedals ( no 9v batts in pedals) which are all all connected by Mogami Gold 3" patch cables. The Mesa amp power cable is stock. I run all this through a Furman RMI/EFI/Surge protected power conditioner. I keep my bass in a Gator hardshell case. I use a Franklin black leather strap about 4 inches wide with some nice padding over my left shoulder with some nice brass conchos in the empty adjustment slots that hang on my right side behind my ass. Play mostly two-finger style, but can make do with a plectrum if a song requires more "bite". Usually wear jeans and boots and a t-shirt to rehearsal and gigs. I have more hair on my face than I do on my head, and usually wear a cap, but how all this info will help me determine if a particular Barefaced cab will work for me is beyond my comprehension...just trying to supply all the info I can...

• Haha 5

When I bought mine, (I think they were serial numbers 9 and 10) they were called Retro 210s, and were famed for having a more mellow/vintage/warm sound. 

I think Alex dropped the "Retro" in the name, so may have changed the characteristics of the sound since my early models, but I wonder if they may not be the right sound for metal?  I know a couple of other players that tried mine and weren't so keen as they weren't flat enough response?

As others have suggested, I would do a "try before you buy" or buy second hand cheap if you're not sure.

Happy BF Two10 user here.  Usually gig with a 9 piece soul band - plenty loud.  Have also done several Guns’n’Roses-type gigs with two Marshall 4x12s.  Kept up.

Can’t see me needing anything else, ever.

As mentioned too - anything beyond the drum kit’s acoustic volume (ie, mic’d up kit) would mean PA support for everything else anyway.

• Like 1

Struggling to think how we can help you here, because we all play in different bands, with different drummers and guitarists. Our views are bound to be subjective.

Do you know what DB level your current rig is putting out? Alex lists the max levels for all the Barefaced cabinets. The Two10 is 125 DB. At least that is some kind of objective measure for comparison. How reliable it is, I don’t know.  I’m sure others on here will be able to give chapter and verse on that subject.

On 27/02/2024 at 00:25, BlackCrow said:

Thank you Gentlemen for the replies. More info: Mesa d800+ head 400w @8ohms into GK 212neo 500watts RMS@8ohms.. Bass: EMG DCX@ Neck. EMG CSX@ bridge. EMG BTS active e.q..

Daddario NYC Nickel Rounds light guage...(Have tried Flats as well)..

Pedals: TC Polytune Mini into Keeley Bassist compressor into DarkGlass Vintage Microtubes (set mostly clean)..

Band: Drummer with an A.S. degree in music with a jazz background with good dynamic control...

2 guitarists with Epi les pauls on a Peavey 50watt 2x12 and a Fender 25watt, both with various Boss Delay, Reverb pedals.

Gigs: Decent P.A. support with some mixes better than other depending on the sound guy...

Rehearsal: No p.a. support. We try and get a mix as best we can.. Rehearsal Space: Large enough that we can spread out into a "stage type configuration and spread"...

Music Played: Original "Alternative Metal" in Drop-D tuning with one guitarist focusing on harmonic riffs, 2nd guitar focusing on complimentary rythm, bass and guitar driving the band on an equal footing, but since he is a good drummer and i am no slouch on bass, we have our moments to shine within certain songs. Mesa head and GK cab have sufficient db for rehearsal. But there is a baked in "clank and grind" to the GK cab that i have not managed to e.q. out with the bass controls or the e.q. on the Mesa head or the e.q. on the Darkglass pedal. 

This tone does not sit well in the mix with this band...Thus the interest in Barefaced cabs. Have tried an Ampeg PF500 through the GK cab. Same "clank and grind" no matter e.q.... Tried another bass, ESP Vintage214 P/J with EMG GB passive pickups with passive e.q through both heads....same GK tone. Pretty sure its the GK cab with the tone that isnt working.. Thus the question regarding Barefaced cabs and regarding the db capacity of the BF210ST 8ohm that if it could fairly equal the db through the GK212 that i already have regardless of manufacturer posted specs of cab db.

Was looking for real time opinions of if BF210 is loud enough all other things being equal vs reviews and opinions of other 210 cabs which i have read on multiple other forums as not being loud enough, realizing that "Loud Enough" is a relative term. Thank you all and goodnight.

On 27/02/2024 at 04:20, BlackCrow said:

And if that is not enough information, I only use Duracell batteries to power the active EMG pre-amp and active pickups running to a Mogami Gold 6ft cable  with one straight 1/4 inch end into the pedal chain and a 90 degree 1/4" end into the bass.

The Voodoo Labs pedalboard which powers all my pedals ( no 9v batts in pedals) which are all all connected by Mogami Gold 3" patch cables.

The Mesa amp power cable is stock. I run all this through a Furman RMI/EFI/Surge protected power conditioner.

I keep my bass in a Gator hardshell case. I use a Franklin black leather strap about 4 inches wide with some nice padding over my left shoulder with some nice brass conchos in the empty adjustment slots that hang on my right side behind my ass.

Play mostly two-finger style, but can make do with a plectrum if a song requires more "bite".

Usually wear jeans and boots and a t-shirt to rehearsal and gigs. I have more hair on my face than I do on my head, and usually wear a cap, but how all this info will help me determine if a particular Barefaced cab will work for me is beyond my comprehension...just trying to supply all the info I can...

You forgot that your return and space keys were broken so I thought I'd fix that for you.

You also forgot your favourite type of post gig food. Is it a big old kebab with lots of chilli sauce? :D 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2024 at 04:20, BlackCrow said:

And if that is not enough information, I only use Duracell batteries to power the active EMG pre-amp and active pickups running to a Mogami Gold 6ft cable  with one straight 1/4 inch end into the pedal chain and a 90 degree 1/4" end into the bass. The Voodoo Labs pedalboard which powers all my pedals ( no 9v batts in pedals) which are all all connected by Mogami Gold 3" patch cables. The Mesa amp power cable is stock. I run all this through a Furman RMI/EFI/Surge protected power conditioner. I keep my bass in a Gator hardshell case. I use a Franklin black leather strap about 4 inches wide with some nice padding over my left shoulder with some nice brass conchos in the empty adjustment slots that hang on my right side behind my ass. Play mostly two-finger style, but can make do with a plectrum if a song requires more "bite". Usually wear jeans and boots and a t-shirt to rehearsal and gigs. I have more hair on my face than I do on my head, and usually wear a cap, but how all this info will help me determine if a particular Barefaced cab will work for me is beyond my comprehension...just trying to supply all the info I can...

But... What are the best socks for metal? 😅