Why become a member? ×

Suspicious buyer alert on Reverb

ead

Hi folks

Just a heads-up, I was made an offer for an item on Reverb at full value and the offer asked me to contact the buyer separately via email.  On Reverb the buyer is called Lerry Porrie.  The email address is [email protected] and is signed Kate Wales.  Weird as I don't think the royal family contained any bassists.

The email was the usual scam thing:

Thanks so much, I will be unable to physically pick up your payment because I work offshore, but after you have received it all, I will send a courier agent to do so. But as I've already said, I have no issue with the advertisement.
I will pay you once you are ready, though, and dispatch my courier agent once you have received your money, as PayPal is the only payment option I have available at the moment. Please remove the advertisement as soon as you can.
Please respond to me with the best time for collection, if you don't mind.

• Haha 3

Being a bit thick, I can’t actually understand what the scammer is trying to get you to do. Are they trying to get you to send the gear before you receive payment, or what? 

On a related topic; I never understand what people mean by “PayPal scams”. If you get the money in your account, it’s good isn’t it? Or can they withdraw it after it has hit your account?

What usually happens is that the buyer then claims the item never arrived and the money is whisked out of your account.

I have also logged this as a dodgy buyer with Reverb and they are apparently already under investigation.

• Like 5

Thats the giveaway, they offer the full asking price and don't 'buy it now' so they get the chance to email/message  before paying. I get these fairly regular. I decline and send Reverb the link to chase up. They never do but I'll keep doing it with the hope someone actually does.

Edited by walshy
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, walshy said:

Thats the giveaway, they offer the full asking price and don't 'buy it now' so they get the chance to email/message  before paying. I get these fairly regular. I decline and send Reverb the link to chase up. They never do but I'll keep doing it with the hope someone actually does.

I contacted them via the help and support bit.  Once I got through a couple of chat bot questions I was in touch with a real peep who was really good.

• Like 2

Just now, ead said:

I contacted them via the help and support bit.  Once I got through a couple of chat bot questions I was in touch with a real peep who was really good.

Yeah I have had mixed interactions. It normally happens on something you have just listed, well thats my findings anyway

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, walshy said:

Could you explain a bit more? I also am am struggling a bit tobunderstand this scam

Well they offer full price and don't just buy it now. They then message saying as @ead says in his post -

If this item is still available send the invoice to email address is for example [email protected] and is signed Kate Wales ( never the same name to email in my experience.  

If you then engage in a dialog they reply with the usual scam thing:

Thanks so much, I will be unable to physically pick up your payment because I work offshore, but after you have received it all, I will send a courier agent to do so. But as I've already said, I have no issue with the advertisement.
I will pay you once you are ready, though, and dispatch my courier agent once you have received your money, as PayPal is the only payment option I have available at the moment. Please remove the advertisement as soon as you can.
Please respond to me with the best time for collection, if you don't mind.

In my experience they never pay but others who have fallen for it lose the money and item I believe due to PayPal refunding the fraudster

• Like 2

I see, interesting thanks!

What confuses me is.. what if PayPal does not side with them?

I mean, maybe they send you 500 for a bass via paypal. Get the bass. If paypal does not side with them they have just bought a bass?

6 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

I see, interesting thanks!

What confuses me is.. what if PayPal does not side with them?

I mean, maybe they send you 500 for a bass via paypal. Get the bass. If paypal does not side with them they have just bought a bass?

How it works, lots on internet

1.  Buyer pays by PayPal and arranges for courier/friend/whatever to collect.  
2.  Item is collected.
3.  Buyer contacts PayPal to open a dispute, claiming they never received the item.  

4.  PayPal sides with the buyer, as the only proof of receipt they will accept is tracked proof of delivery.
5.  The scammer now has your item and his money refunded.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Obrienp said:

Being a bit thick, I can’t actually understand what the scammer is trying to get you to do. Are they trying to get you to send the gear before you receive payment, or what? 

On a related topic; I never understand what people mean by “PayPal scams”. If you get the money in your account, it’s good isn’t it? Or can they withdraw it after it has hit your account?

They pay and then report the item not received. You have no proof the item has been received by them because they've used a 3rd party, that’s undoubtedly involved, to do the collecting.

2 hours ago, walshy said:

How it works, lots on internet

1.  Buyer pays by PayPal and arranges for courier/friend/whatever to collect.  
2.  Item is collected.
3.  Buyer contacts PayPal to open a dispute, claiming they never received the item.  

4.  PayPal sides with the buyer, as the only proof of receipt they will accept is tracked proof of delivery.
5.  The scammer now has your item and his money refunded.

I haven't bought anything for a while, but I think Paypal have now introduced another step, which requires the seller to enter a code when the item is collected, thereby nullifying point (3) .

What you also tend to find is they always offer to buy your ‘item’ not your ‘Dingwall ng3’ or whatever it is you’re selling. I’ve had scores of such messages over the years and it’s clearly a copy & paste job.

That’s the trouble with kids today. Too lazy to put some proper effort into scamming you😊

• Haha 4

44 minutes ago, mikegatward said:

What you also tend to find is they always offer to buy your ‘item’ not your ‘Dingwall ng3’ or whatever it is you’re selling. I’ve had scores of such messages over the years and it’s clearly a copy & paste job.

That’s the trouble with kids today. Too lazy to put some proper effort into scamming you😊

That part of the scam is designed to weed out the more switched on sellers. Only the naive/inexperienced/dumb sellers get stung with these scams. They send the message to everyone and maybe get a hit. It's a volume game. Same with the whole Nigerian Prince nonsense. You just need one or two people to bite to make it worthwhile.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Obrienp said:

Thanks for the explanations folks. I will know to watch out for this in the future.

The lesson I take from this is to post/courier it yourself but even better: just sell through BC.

If it's being collected only accept cash

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikegatward said:

I found it really funny when one sent a message to me which said something like "I would like to buy your {Oki Microline printer}. I will send you a cheque for £2000 for the {Oki Microline printer} and you can send me the printer and the money after taking out the price of the {Oko Microline printer}". Please, if you're using a template, take the sodding brackets out that surround {item name here}.

• Haha 3