Why become a member? ×

Which companies are dead to you?

19 minutes ago, Ashborygirl said:

USA Epiphones were out of production for nearly 50 years.  In that time the name was used exclusively on cheaper Japanese & Korean made instruments.  Hardly progress from their pre-Gibson heyday.

So, you're going to completely sidestep everything I've said then?  OK, have fun with the bee in your bonnet, at least it agrees with you :D

2 minutes ago, hill76 said:

EDF Energy. About to go to the Ombudsman for the third time (won the last two). How this company still exists is beyond me.

Oh yeah - these Twunts.

When Mrs T used them when she was living alone, and l had to battle when they tried to sting her for leaving.

Scottish Power I had run ins with too…

Microsoft.

Many, many years ago - first task in a new job - "install MS-DOS, Windows 3 and Fortran on that PC".

That meant making specific changes in the install of both DOS and W3.

There were three manual comments about how to do this, one for each piece of software.

They were all different.

And they were all wrong.

Much later, with Windows 10 they made it impossible to do my (software development) job.  Never again.

Very. Not music related I know 

total sugar honey iced tea. I bought one thing, they fcuked up every thing about purchase, delivery, return, refund and subsequent complaint. Full marks on a total 24/7 100% omnishambles

19 hours ago, Ashborygirl said:

Gibson, their QC hit rock bottom 20+ years ago & it's been downhill from there.  The fact you now get a QC checklist signing off things that have clearly never been checked really takes the piss.  

Oh & their dedication to buying out promissing companies to kill them off.  Trace Elliott, Steinberger, Tobias, Epiphone, Kramer & now Mesa Boogie.  All either disappeared or now just trade names for budget gear.

Mesa Boogie are a budget brand? Also Trace Elliot are owned by Peavey these days so definitely not dead, and definitely not crap.

Edited by asingardenof
  • Like 1

LG after my mobile phone died on the way to a gig in Aberystwyth. I was using Google maps on my phone to find the gig (festival, so just a field). Had to stop and buy a map, but had no way of contacting anyone. Luckily I managed to find the field, but will never buy an LG product again!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, asingardenof said:

Mesa Boogie are a budget brand? Also Trace Elliot are owned by Peavey these days so definitely not dead, and definitely not crap.

Where did I describe Boogie as 'budget' or TE as 'crap'? 

Gibson bought Boogie in 2021 & there have been no new Boogies in the UK since.  Gibson say they will come back, but for now, you can't buy a new one.  So that patient, if not dead, has been in ITU for 3 years.

Gibson bought TE in October 1998 & moved the majority of manufacturing to the US & Asia.  They closed the UK factory in December 2001 & effectively ended TE production.  I'd say that was Gibson killing off the brand.  Peavey bought the distribution rights in 2006 & relaunched the brand, albeit using the same OEM boards found in some Peavey branded amps.  Nothing inherently wrong with that, but I doubt it's what Fred Friedlein envisioned for his company.

Edited by Ashborygirl
Speeling & gramma
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ashborygirl said:

Gibson bought Boogie in 2021 & there have been no new Boogies in the UK since.  Gibson say they will come back, but for now, you can't buy a new one.  So that patient, if not dead, has been in ITU for 3 years.

Gibson bought TE in October 1998 & moved the majority of manufacturing to the US & Asia.  They closed the UK factory in December 2001 & effectively ended TE production.  I'd say that was Gibson killing off the brand.  Peavey bought the distribution rights in 2006 & relaunched the brand, albeit using the same OEM boards found in some Peavey branded amps.  Nothing inherently wrong with that, but I doubt it's what Fred Friedlein envisioned for his company.

That's the commercial world for you.

As far as I can see with all the Class D amps, they're all pretty much the same. Most people seem to run them flat. Everyone is cutting costs and slimming down lines. 

There are more boutique amps out there now. Time will tell, but the big players are too big to be taking risks. 

• Like 2

On 29/02/2024 at 04:11, Ashborygirl said:

Trace Elliott, Steinberger, Tobias, Epiphone, Kramer & now Mesa Boogie.  All either disappeared or now just trade names for budget gear.

1 hour ago, Ashborygirl said:

Right there above. Crap may be an exaggeration of budget but Mesa is definitely not budget, and neither is Trace thanks to Peavey's resurrection.

Read what I wrote;

'All either disappeared or now just trade names for budget gear'

One or the other category, not both.  Nowhere have I said, implicitly nor explicitly, that MB & TE are in the latter category.

You can't buy a MB in the UK since Gibson's take over & Gibson discontinued TE production.  I'd have thought the category those 2 brands fall into was fairly obvious.

Edited by Ashborygirl

Find me a Gibson made MB for sale in the UK, there are none & haven't been any since Gibson bought them.

Gibson shut down production of TE in 2002.

Those are demonstrable facts.  

Edited by Ashborygirl

26 minutes ago, Ashborygirl said:

Find me a Gibson made MB for sale in the UK, there are none & haven't been any since Gibson bought them.

Gibson shut down production of TE in 2002.

Those are demonstrable facts.  

UK sellers are taking pre-orders for Mesa Boogie stuff now.
https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-amps/bass-amp-heads?facet=ads_f11006_ntk_cs%3A"Mesa+Boogie"

Due supply chain issues over the last few years they've not been able to make enough to export, or something like that. See the thread here with the amp designer chiming in:

Peavey now own Trace Elliot, have done since 2005. They've had the Elf out for 5-ish years. The TE-1200 isn't cheap, and is currently on back order.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/trace-elliot-te-1200-bass-amplifier-head/959229

3 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

UK sellers are taking pre-orders for Mesa Boogie stuff now.
https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-amps/bass-amp-heads?facet=ads_f11006_ntk_cs%3A"Mesa+Boogie"

Due supply chain issues over the last few years they've not been able to make enough to export, or something like that. See the thread here with the amp designer chiming in:

Peavey now own Trace Elliot, have done since 2005. They've had the Elf out for 5-ish years. The TE-1200 isn't cheap, and is currently on back order.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/trace-elliot-te-1200-bass-amplifier-head/959229

All true, but its odd the supply chain issues only arose once Gibson took ownership.  Meanwhile MB's competitors have been able to churn amps out by the thousand.

Kudos to Peavey for bringing back TE, especially using UK manufacture.  The Elf is a terrific amp.  But it doesn't reflect well on Gibson that they sacked all the staff and mothballed the brand yet Peavey have now made the brand a commercial & critical success.

• Like 1

Just now, Ashborygirl said:

All true, but its odd the supply chain issues only arose once Gibson took ownership.  Meanwhile MB's competitors have been able to churn amps out by the thousand.

Kudos to Peavey for bringing back TE, especially using UK manufacture.  The Elf is a terrific amp.  But it doesn't reflect well on Gibson that they sacked all the staff and mothballed the brand yet Peavey have now made the brand a commercial & critical success.

Gibson bought MB in 2021. What with COVID supply chains, Suez Canal blockage, etc. It has taken a while to get everything back on track. Plus they're all made in the US, not offshored and made in China.

Gibson sacking all of the TE employees is indefensible!

I don't think Peavey are using UK manufacture currently. From pictures on retailer's sites, it says on the back of the TE-1200 and Elf that it is designed in the UK & USA, made in China.

• Like 2

Trace was in suspended animation for a bit. What of it?

Gibson relinquished the brand and some remainder of parts to Peavey and boy oh boy have they (eventually) breathed the life back into it. Neither dead nor a budget brand.

Gibson were poor custodians of Trace Elliot. They didn't put anything into R&D for it so it withered away. The brand survived Peavey's initial missteps and now flourishes.

None of that is consistent with your assertion that Trace is now a budget brand due to Gibson. That is patently incorrect.

Is Emglish your native language?