Why become a member? ×

Favourite Brand

Lew-Bass

[quote name='Mr.T' post='485518' date='May 12 2009, 01:38 AM']Status.

Well balanced, reliable, built like a tank, versatile.
Not much a Status can't do!![/quote]

Another vote for Status-Graphite - Been playing them for 20 years. Peerless build quality, with every bass passing through the hands of the same man before it's deemed to be fit for public consumption. Sound? Everything from thick db like tones to super-bright hifi. Graphite necks are a slick joy to play on & nothing has the stability or speed of a phelonic fingerboard. Balance is perfect on the headless models as well.

I'm also currently loving the quality of my new Fender Jazz - They've improved so much recently & combined with the Sadowsky preamp, it's proving to be an excellent combination.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

I have no favourite brand, I am a true gear whore. I play anything as long as the tone and playability suit me (oh, and the looks of course). I do have a slight thing for G&L though. They're everything Fender could have been but isn't, especially in terms of availability of lefty versions of their instruments. At this moment, Fender USA will only get you a lefty American Standard P and J, and only in sunburst with a tortoise guard or black with a white guard, and in either case only with a rosewood fingerboard. The only exception in the past 10 years was the Hot Rodded American Precision, which was also available in see-through white, sunset orange and natural (all with a tortoise guard). That really freaks me out...

Steinberger for me - the old ones of course. Until recently I owned 4 of 'm but since I stopped doing TOP40 etc.-gigs I sold some gear. They're pefectly balanced, a breeze to play, instant good sound on whatever you plug it into (PA, mixer, small combo, large rig) and easy to carry around. From all the graphite necked basses I've played in my 27 years of playing bass Steinbergers have the least "flat spots". Wooden necks have dead spots, no matter what quality your bass (even Sadowsky's, Alembic's, Vigier's), graphite necks are much more consistent. However they do have notes that ring a bit shorter than others - I call them flat spots. I've found a lot of flat spots on Status' necks. The worst one I encountered is a Music Man Stingray Limited Edition fitted with a Status neck - it has a "flat spot zone" ranging from 4th to 9th fret. I don't know if others have experience with these necks?

Err, I guess mine isn't hard to figure out. :)

I like them for the same reasons that others hate them - thick neck profile, natural woods, rounded shape and, of course, the low-midrange growl.

Edited by rjb

<---------------------- Avatar says it all....

Although the commercially (used to be) available ones were made at Stevensville every one feels like it was made for you as a one off.

VERY VERY VERY good build quality and QC.

(Although I do have a very soft spot for Sadowskys and Clovers)

Musicman Stingray. Beautiful basses. Very playable. Just lacking a bit in the perfect tone for me but still my favourite bass.

Lakland. Only tried the Skyline signature models and own the Duck Dunn but they do seem very good basses. Been pretty impressed so far.

ESP. I have only played and own a 400 Series Jazz from the 80's but no Jazz I have tried has sounded or played as good as the ESP.

Gotta be Fender. The first, and for me the only. I would consider owning a Jazz, a Precision, a PJ, a '51 P, and, err... That's about it. Anything else is too frilly, too fancy, too pricey, too complex, too much everything.

But then I also don't use effects, I can't stand bass amps with graphic EQs, I won't touch a bass if it needs batteries - Basically if I can't build it or at least fix it myself, I probably won't be interested.

See signature... :)

- most versatile preamp I've ever used. If you can't get the sound you are after out of it, you may aswell give up... and to me, the instruments feel just right. Super comfortable.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='rjb' post='485604' date='May 12 2009, 09:05 AM']Err, I guess mine isn't hard to figure out. :)

I like them for the same reasons that others hate them - thick neck profile, natural woods, rounded shape and, of course, the low-midrange growl.[/quote]

+1 to Warwick. The tone from my BO Thumb is just perfect IMO. The look and neck profile do make them the ultimate marmite bass, though.

Fender, so long as its a Precision! They may be a one trick pony, but they seem to fit in any mix.

Edited by simon1964