Why become a member? ×

Severely Cracked finish on a 1975 Olympic White Precision

Need advice - I have had a problem with my 75 Precision with cracking paint which started after about 6/7 years after I bought it (and I mean real cracking !) its so bad that I have had to cover the back with sticky back plastic to stop it snagging on shirts etc ...

Don't know whether to strip back to wood and have it re-finish or just leave it with stick tape covering the lifting edges, I also added an additional PU from off a JayDee in the late 80s so it's far from original, If I refinish I'd probably remove the JayDee and the routing could be filled in with a block of Alder and aged re-finished- would like some advise as to what people think they would do ???, value is not that important as I won't be selling it but just looks awful and not that practical to play with sticky tape all over it ..

Bassman78

Yes thanks for the reply, that’s an option I have thought about rather than refinish, I suppose I have to decide whether I want to take off the JayDee PU and put back to original state in which case I could fill and finish but quite like a natural finish if the wood looks good…

IMG_5532.jpeg

IMG_5536.jpeg

IMG_5528.jpeg

IMG_5527.jpeg

IMG_5535.jpeg

• Sad 3

Yowzah!  Never seen one as bad as that before 😱

If it was me I'd have it stripped and then refinished, although an oil finish would work too if the wood looks good enough.

I'd keep the JD mod as it adds a bit of character and gives more tonal variation.

Edited by franzbassist

That’s a real shame ,I think whatever option you choose you are going to have to remove the paint to make it playable, as much as I  don’t like refinishes I would probably go down that path, good luck Bassman 

1 hour ago, Brucegill said:

wow! Well on the plus side, it should be easy to strip! 

I'd vote to strip and see what the woods like and go from there. 

I stripped my 77 P bass, the wood underneath was very good.  As @Brucegill states, it should be easy to strip as time has done most of the work for you.

I’ve seen a fair few in my time, but this paint surface is way beyond crazed! Wow.

Unfortunately, I don’t think you have any other option than to strip and re-coat or oil as others have suggested.

I’d be tugging on FMC to consider an ex-gratia contribution.

Wow!!

Yes - strip job.  Should be straightforward getting the old stuff off too!  :)

What I would suggest is get it all stripped off and then have a look at what you've got.  You have a number of options - tru-oil / wax / stain / veneer / paint depending what it looks like underneath it all :)

Andy

• Like 1

I had a Fender 25 th Anniversary Stratocaster in white ( the first 500 were white ) and the finish crackled and crazed , they then changed the colour to Porsche silver , which then went green .

That was a 1979 instrument , never seen a 75 ‘ finish go that way

No extremes of temperature or humidity? 

Wow - that looks extreme....
Sorry to hear this has happened, and that it's so bad.
As others have said - strip it and refinish. Professional re-spraying might be expensive, or tricky and time-consuming for you to undertake (if you fancy that?). The suggestions on here for a natural finish seem the best option, and I think that's what I'd be doing. Best of luck with it.

7 hours ago, Marc S said:

Wow - that looks extreme....
Sorry to hear this has happened, and that it's so bad.
As others have said - strip it and refinish. Professional re-spraying might be expensive, or tricky and time-consuming for you to undertake (if you fancy that?). The suggestions on here for a natural finish seem the best option, and I think that's what I'd be doing. Best of luck with it.

10 hours ago, martin8708 said:

I had a Fender 25 th Anniversary Stratocaster in white ( the first 500 were white ) and the finish crackled and crazed , they then changed the colour to Porsche silver , which then went green .

That was a 1979 instrument , never seen a 75 ‘ finish go that way

No extremes of temperature or humidity? 

I have dropped a line to FMC but not expecting a reply that's worth anything info wise but we'll see, when it wasn't traveling in a transit I used to keep it cased behind the sofa which can't have been too far from a rad so maybe its extremes of heat ( couldn't feel the extreme heat from where I sat though !!)  warming to the idea of thumb Nailing .........wont be in the next week or until the weather improves..

I have dropped a line to FMC but not expecting a reply that's worth anything info wise but we'll see, when it wasn't traveling in a transit I used to keep it cased behind the sofa which can't have been too far from a rad so maybe its extremes of heat ( couldn't feel the extreme heat from where I sat though !!)  warming to the idea of thumb Nailing .........wont be in the next week or until the weather improves..