Why become a member? ×

Is the cost of living crushing music?

la bam

My interest in music peaked when I could download easily from Pirate Bay; I'd have a listen, buy the album, and often go and see a band.

As the option withered away, so did my interest and I've not really got into watching on YT as much as I might've.

The last band I saw was James Oliver at the Kempton Park Guitar Show - he was really good.

1 hour ago, prowla said:

My interest in music peaked when I could download easily from Pirate Bay; I'd have a listen, buy the album, and often go and see a band.

As the option withered away, so did my interest and I've not really got into watching on YT as much as I might've.

The last band I saw was James Oliver at the Kempton Park Guitar Show - he was really good.

James is a force of nature. He can’t sing but he can sure play guitar!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, prowla said:

It's still possible to download from Pirate Bay - you just have to use a VPN. Er, so I've been told.

14 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Thanks.

Unfortunately after all that the article is big on attention grabbing headlines and light on actual information.

That's true but what struck me was the huge number...4 trillion, who would have guessed? To me it is another explanation why people don't go out to listen to live music very much any more.

15 hours ago, Staggering on said:

That's true but what struck me was the huge number...4 trillion, who would have guessed? To me it is another explanation why people don't go out to listen to live music very much any more.

I've not noticed reduction in audience numbers. In fact over the last 15 years the gigs I've been doing have been far better attended that most of the ones I did in the 80s and 90s. IMO a lot of the problem at "grass-roots" level is that many of the bands while being more musically accomplished than those in the past aren't actually entertaining enough for people to make the effort to go and see them play live.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

4 trillion streams. Just think, Spotify might have paid out 9p for that and I'm sure Daniel Ek resents every bit of that wasted profit.

Spotify pay out plenty. It's just that the record companies take the main share of this. I look at my individual streaming payments and then compare them with artists who claim that their share of streaming royalties are next to nothing, and think that something must be wrong because if I was getting those kinds of streaming numbers I'd be doing very nicely thank you.

I think the increasing ticket prices are as much to blame. Four gigs booked for the first quarter of this year at a total cost of well over £200, only one is what I what I would call a big band (Smashing Pumpkins), not many gigs below £30 now. I would happily go every week at £15-20 but when it’s £50+ you have to decide if it’s a band you really want to see.

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Spotify pay out plenty. It's just that the record companies take the main share of this. I look at my individual streaming payments and then compare them with artists who claim that their share of streaming royalties are next to nothing, and think that something must be wrong because if I was getting those kinds of streaming numbers I'd be doing very nicely thank you.

I think you’re right. If music streaming didn’t pay well, investment funds wouldn’t be splurging cash on buying out artist’s catalogues. 

1 minute ago, T-Bay said:

I think the increasing ticket prices are as much to blame. Four gigs booked for the first quarter of this year at a total cost of well over £200, only one is what I what I would call a big band (Smashing Pumpkins), not many gigs below £30 now. I would happily go every week at £15-20 but when it’s £50+ you have to decide if it’s a band you really want to see.

I don't think I've ever paid as much as £50+ to go and see a gig

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I don't think I've ever paid as much as £50+ to go and see a gig

Nor me before the last 18 months, but its becoming the norm very rapidly for Birmingham and Nottingham to find most well known bands knocking on for that. I have tickets for Filter, Hives, Idles this year, none I would consider big bands but all around the £40 mark. Paid over £40 for SLF at the Academy last year compared to twenty something a couple of years ago. Even some tribute bands want £15+ around here. There are still plenty of free ‘covers band’ gigs which is great.

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I've not noticed reduction in audience numbers. In fact over the last 15 years the gigs I've been doing have been far better attended that most of the ones I did in the 80s and 90s. IMO a lot of the problem at "grass-roots" level is that many of the bands while being more musically accomplished than those in the past aren't actually entertaining enough for people to make the effort to go and see them play live.

You're lucky, in my part of the world crowds are small and many venues have closed or only have live music one or two nights a week. I do agree that some bands don't make an effort to be entertaining but I think cost is a large part of the reason that there are fewer live shows and also  Covid kept people home listening to streamed music and they have become used to that and it's cheap. Some over here will pay huge sums to see a really big star or attend a big name country or pop music festival but the small venues are dying.

5 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Yet the gigs are sold out. 

Even Geddy Lee was sold out at £100 a ticket for just talking. 

West End show tickets are in excess of £150 a seat.

It's time poor people who are making decisions based on a huge variety of things to do. And then there are just people with no money as their energy, rental, and mortgage costs are high.

I only have 52 weekends a year, a lot of them last year I was working, I'd get home and sleep if I wasn't gigging.

Music pubs and venues are closing and people are complaining about noise. Venue owners are complaining about electricity and rates costs. 

There's no one thing to blame. 

• Like 1

I remember Oasis (in their prime) saying they keep tickets at £20-30 each as they know the kids and people similar to where and how they grew up couldn't afford more. Always had admiration for them for that. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, la bam said:

I remember Oasis (in their prime) saying they keep tickets at £20-30 each as they know the kids and people similar to where and how they grew up couldn't afford more. Always had admiration for them for that. 

At the risk of sounding a bit off. I saw Oasis and The Who in 2000. Both tickets were £30. They might not have been "doing a Madonna" in terms of getting in early on the ticket price gouging, but make no mistake, they were market price for the time. So I don't necessarily believe that's completely true. Unless you're referring to earlier than that?

Were one being cynical, I would say that's just Gallagher crap to enhance their "men of the people" mythos. How much was Noel's tour a few months ago? Less than a hundred quid a pop?

1 hour ago, TimR said:

Yet the gigs are sold out. 

Even Geddy Lee was sold out at £100 a ticket for just talking. 

West End show tickets are in excess of £150 a seat.

It's time poor people who are making decisions based on a huge variety of things to do. And then there are just people with no money as their energy, rental, and mortgage costs are high.

I only have 52 weekends a year, a lot of them last year I was working, I'd get home and sleep if I wasn't gigging.

Music pubs and venues are closing and people are complaining about noise. Venue owners are complaining about electricity and rates costs. 

There's no one thing to blame. 

Most of the gigs I go to aren’t sold out by any stretch, a couple were cancelled last year due to poor sales which is tragic.

No one I know is saying it’s the only factor but only someone detached from reality could assume cost of tickets doesn’t affect the ticket sales.

On 09/01/2024 at 11:29, Lozz196 said:

I remember back in the 80s it seemed that every band (from the punk/indie scene) that made it had lived together in squats. One of the reasons I decided against it, choosing to live in squalor when not needing to wasn`t for me.

I was going to say loads of bands lived in squats, stole or blagged equipment, ate every other day, drove to gigs in a knackered van with a beer mat for a tax disc if they could get it started, and all because it was easier back in the day?

In these terribly difficult times for a struggling band we, a bunch of blokes in our fifties & sixties who aren't really actively promoting ourselves, get offers of gigs all over the UK and have just had a DJ on an American radio station ask if he can play our music on his show. 

Yes this reply is slightly facetious but if bands want/need to create music then they will find a way, and there are far more ways these days of doing it than there ever has been. 

I've always been of the opinion that the next youth musical revolution is so long overdue because none of them are angry/passionate enough about anything to kickstart that revolution. 

There's lot for them to be angry about but pretend rants on tiktok for likes isn't going to do it. 

• Like 2