Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Well, that's January almost done and dusted.  Here are the scores on the doors.

35 remain standing, 5 out.

How are the rest of you doing?  Any near misses?

I am not happy with Sire releasing some tasty basses this year, that's going to be something that will require effort to resist.

I've already got a shopping list forming for next year - a white Fender MP Dimension, and a Sire Z7 in a yet to be the determined finish.  I don't know if having a list is a good idea or not!

I think having a list is a good thing.......probably.  I had one last year and lasted the whole of 2023.  But I wasn't specific about what I wanted.  I had one remaining space on the wall and a good chunk of bonus to spend (with half already donated to the Mrs. C to avoid "why do you need another bass" conversations 😁).  So the bass had to be something that really interested me to "win" the final hanging space.  I used 2023 to decide what interested me - the "for sale" thread of this Parish, Bass Bros, Bass Gallery etc. are all good places to look.  I saw enough things that interested me, that I knew I didn't have to jump in at the 1st shiny (or tastefully battered) thing I saw.  Then on New Year's Eve 2023, I'd a couple of white Fender Jazzes and a couple of Sire Jazzes that interested me (all in shops close to home) and 3 or 4 at Bass Gallery (a nice day out in London).  I went the 3 miles to Guitar Guitar, mainly to eliminate the Jazz that was there so I could head off to Anderton's and try the 3 there.  I walked into GG and there was a second hand Ric 4003 in Walnut on the wall - that interested me more than any of the others, so on 2nd Jan 2024 I bought it.  I think the main thing in 2023 was that I wasn't too fussy and knew there'd be something along at some point in 2024 that really interested me. 

For you:

The Sire Z7 shouldn't be a problem.  Andertons and Thomann may or may not have any in on 1st Jan 2025, but you can probably hazard a guess that they will at some point in 2025.

The White Fender MP Dimension sounds a bit specific and, I suspect, somewhat rare.  That feels like a risk to be managed.  😜

Still in. Procrastination over an acoustic I was interested in meant that someone else bought it. I hope to adopt much the same technique all year.

Plus I've just seen the estimate for getting rid of the red warning lights on my car dashboard! 😱

Edited by Richard R
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phill said:

I'm out! Technical term is biffed it I think? Aguilar Cabs & TH500 Had to pay some nominal fees & percentage of the actual cost of the RRP 

Ahh, but you'll be going out loudly.  Now hand in your month's chip that you got... yesterday :D

• Haha 2

Still in but I won't be in for long, I am afraid. I have started playing guitar as well, and after experiencing the joy if noodling for hours without any trace of pain, I think I am going to sell my EUB and buy a short scale bass. Still, I may not buy for a while as I do not like the looks of most cheap short scale basses. It may take a while to chose.

• Like 1

I didn't bother putting my name down for this as I thought it would be pointless, but...No purchases this year yet and as my side hustle business needs about £30-35k of investment this year, which I will have to borrow, I think I'll have to make do with what I have.

1 hour ago, BillyBass said:

I didn't bother putting my name down for this as I thought it would be pointless, but...No purchases this year yet and as my side hustle business needs about £30-35k of investment this year, which I will have to borrow, I think I'll have to make do with what I have.

So, do you want in then?  Doesn't matter how you achieve abstinent nirvana...

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

So, do you want in then?  Doesn't matter how you achieve abstinent nirvana...

Yes ok, I'll join the club.  How will I survive?  I've only got 10 basses, 3 heads, 4 cabs and a load of pedals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Forgive me abstainers, for I have sinned. I sent a message to a seller about a bass.

No money has changed hands and I haven’t had a reply yet, but I feel I should confess 😎

There is still time to avoid the purchase.... 🤪

What's the bass?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

You're in a precarious position...

I've blown a fair bit of cash in the last couple of years in search of kit that suits me and I think I've found out what I like now, so I should be alright.