Why become a member? ×

New bass - Torzal

BCH

Spectacular looking bass.

There was a huge amount of work went into the design and manufacture yet they still remembered the little touches like magnetic battery box lids 🙂

Gut feeling is that'll be a wonderful player, you'll have one hell of a merry Christmas when it comes.

Congratulations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Too cool, always was one of the most interesting designs and it's a totally killer color.

Wish I could find one hanging up somewhere so I could try it out.

(Sure, It might be hard waiting until Christmas, but that's something worth waiting for. If someone bought it for me and told me I had to wait until the first day of spring, I'd be up for the challenge.)

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Probably not something I would have thought of but that is wonderful , looks like amazing build quality, what’s it like to play 

It feels very natural and easy to play....with no wrist (s) pain

• Like 1

This was the original ~2009 build, have been using 6 months 

Specifications:

Nordstrand Big Split pickups

Nordstrand B 4c -  4 band with Vol, Pan, (p/p active/passive), bass, low mid, high mid, treble - 5 knobs

Swamp ash body

Figured Walnut top, matching headstock

Satin natural

Flame Maple/Walnut neck

Neck rotation - 25º

Body rotation +10*

34" scale

Bird’s eye maple f/b

White side dots

Black dot markers

Bone nut

Hipshot A style bridge, 19mm string spacing

Satin chrome Hipshot ultralight tuners with extender key

Chrome knobs

Weight 7lb 14oz, 3.7kg

367084026_10228061567597111_5985004048865103054_n.thumb.jpg.4e17fd11b2b6aad493a59226fca9c782.jpg366717413_10228061564157025_506334375057941603_n.thumb.jpg.003940e01b0ec43da3da3e8e14a9d2ff.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BCH said:

This was the original ~2009 build, have been using 6 months 

Specifications:

Nordstrand Big Split pickups

Nordstrand B 4c -  4 band with Vol, Pan, (p/p active/passive), bass, low mid, high mid, treble - 5 knobs

Swamp ash body

Figured Walnut top, matching headstock

Satin natural

Flame Maple/Walnut neck

Neck rotation - 25º

Body rotation +10*

34" scale

Bird’s eye maple f/b

White side dots

Black dot markers

Bone nut

Hipshot A style bridge, 19mm string spacing

Satin chrome Hipshot ultralight tuners with extender key

Chrome knobs

Weight 7lb 14oz, 3.7kg

367084026_10228061567597111_5985004048865103054_n.thumb.jpg.4e17fd11b2b6aad493a59226fca9c782.jpg366717413_10228061564157025_506334375057941603_n.thumb.jpg.003940e01b0ec43da3da3e8e14a9d2ff.jpg

A famous band too! 👏🏻👏🏻

1 hour ago, BCH said:

I have some fab bass's which I cannot play without pain (carpal) they are for sale on this site.....the  designer & builder (x Collins acoustic) is a bass player and sufferer.  He developed the bass 15years ago. I purchased a second hand to see if it could help, I have been using for 6 months (13 gigs) and NO pain even after a 2 set 3hr gig. I was so impressed I ordered the above ...my band has been going 50 years & its has allowed me to continue ...

I have carpal tunnel too. I had an operation on my left wrist (fretting hand)and I no longer have any symptoms. My right hand sometimes has issues but I wear a brace on my wrist and that keeps it under control.

Have you considered an operation which would allow you to continue playing standard basses without pain?

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1

Congratulations!

Fortunately I have no wrist issues but ever since I saw the first Torzal I was intrigued about the design and the ergonomics of it.

One thing that got me thinking is the angle on the bridge end ie whether my right hand would need it as much the left where the 20 degree twist is definitely makes a difference on how much the wrist needs to be bent. 
To my understanding there are two options, a ‘flat’ bridge which is just like on any other basses and the 15 degrees angled one which is on the neck through models and on the OP’s new bass.

4 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

Congratulations!

Fortunately I have no wrist issues but ever since I saw the first Torzal I was intrigued about the design and the ergonomics of it.

One thing that got me thinking is the angle on the bridge end ie whether my right hand would need it as much the left where the 20 degree twist is definitely makes a difference on how much the wrist needs to be bent. 
To my understanding there are two options, a ‘flat’ bridge which is just like on any other basses and the 15 degrees angled one which is on the neck through models and on the OP’s new bass.

My thinking is that the bridge end doesn’t need to be angled at all, the way it is on this bass looks like it would add discomfort compared to a normal flat bridge. I get the thinking behind the nut end’s angle though.

1 hour ago, Lord Summerisle said:

My thinking is that the bridge end doesn’t need to be angled at all, the way it is on this bass looks like it would add discomfort compared to a normal flat bridge. I get the thinking behind the nut end’s angle though.

I think that it depends on the right (plucking) hand techniques applied.

When I pluck with my fingers I use what is  sometimes called floating thumb technique when I rest my thumb on the lower (pitched) string next to the one I play and my wrist and arm is in a straight line moving back and forth over the strings as I skip them during plaing (hope it makes sense). So I don't see much benefit with the angled bridge for me but as I never tried a Torzal maybe I'd be in a surprise if I did.  

But for those players who -like double bass players - anchor their thumb on the edge of the pickup and stay there regardless which string they are playing and bending their wrist more as they move farther away (meaning playing higher strings) the angled bridge is reducing the need for said bend. It is purely a speculation on my side, nothing more. 

Also Torzal do make fanned fret basses so that might be the ultimate mindfuNk for some 😄

image-asset.jpeg?format=1500w

• Like 5