Why become a member? ×

What Sire did next

neepheid

On 18/12/2023 at 17:48, Sibob said:

Those lower horns are a swing and a miss aren’t they. Also goes to show that not everyone can design a decent looking single-cut.

G-series could be interesting though, Godin vibes probably.

Si

If Jeremy Beadle were a bass.

• Haha 2

I've got one of the first V7s. Great bass for the money.

Would I buy any of the range now? No. The range is becoming a bit of a mess to me and they've gone from great quality at affordable prices to just another manufacturer at an ever increasing price.

I'd probably go second hand Yamaha, Ibanez or Squier, partly due to replacement parts availability 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marvin said:

I've got one of the first V7s. Great bass for the money.

Would I buy any of the range now? No. The range is becoming a bit of a mess to me and they've gone from great quality at affordable prices to just another manufacturer at an ever increasing price.

I'd probably go second hand Yamaha, Ibanez or Squier, partly due to replacement parts availability 

This is the problem with a budget brand. When you buy one at the mega impressive entry prices it’s always hard to justify it when their business model necessitates a price rise.

Personally, these all look a bit dull.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

The F also has a less grey burl now too.

The F also has a different lower cutaway too (if I remember the look from my first viewing), as it now has the ‘open mouthed whale’ appearance, which it didn’t last time I looked. I wonder if these are possibly CAD mock-ups and they’re still tinkering with the design?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

Just thought I'd take another look today and it looks like they've added pickguards. I think I prefer them without...

This is what I have cached on my phone.

ABLVV84uwpLKD4R823hDplK0OF1GQ1E4ATJyQTbA

This is what I found when I clicked on it on my laptop this morning.

image.thumb.png.91e2befb21b017670f62528650b34405.png

yeah I like the look without pickguard … more Lakland vibe

Especially the single coil pickup looks weird to me on a EBMM-ish body. 

• Like 1

Well, I suppose I should stick my tuppence worth in, seeing as I started it.  I'm personally not too fussed for any of this new stuff and will be unlikely to buy any of them - that's principally because they're inspired by basses that don't hold any interest for me.  But that doesn't mean I can't see the market potential for these, at the right price.  I think they'll do very well in the situation we find ourselves in, where EBMM have turned into a bunch of greedy so-and-sos and hiked up the prices of their SUB/Sterling stuff to frankly eye-watering levels and the Foderas are unobtanium for most mere mortals.

All I can say with certainty is that if they put the same effort and time into these new ones as they did with my D5 then they'll tend to be excellent instruments and I wish them every success.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I think they'll do very well in the situation we find ourselves in, where EBMM have turned into a bunch of greedy so-and-sos and hiked up the prices of their SUB/Sterling stuff to frankly eye-watering levels and the Foderas are unobtanium for most mere mortals.

Ain’t that the truth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

Just thought I'd take another look today and it looks like they've added pickguards. I think I prefer them without...

This is what I have cached on my phone.

ABLVV84uwpLKD4R823hDplK0OF1GQ1E4ATJyQTbA

This is what I found when I clicked on it on my laptop this morning.

image.thumb.png.91e2befb21b017670f62528650b34405.png

That's comparatively better IMO

On 18/12/2023 at 21:29, Bassassin said:

I'm incredibly shallow and first-impression aesthetics are very important to me. With the exception of the U7 (which is quite pretty) I've seldom seen such an impressive collection of vileness, ugliness & just plain wrongness gathered together in the one place.

Me and my bank balance are quite relieved about that.

+ 1

I've always found it difficult to buy a bass with a headstock I don't like and the I really don't like the Sire headstock, it reminds me of a Roman nose from an Asterix cartoon.  Nevertheless, the 4+1 of that Z series fiver takes my attention away from the end, I don't mind it.  I won't be buying one though.  I have 10 basses and any additions to the collection would have to be special; these aren't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1