Why become a member? ×

Where are they now?

snorkie635

I noticed that there are now 50,615 Basschatters registered on our little site. Others may know differently, but I got to thinking that there's probably somewhere around 300 'regular' names popping up across a variety of threads - and I feel that's being generous. Where are the other 50,315? Was it something I (or you) said? 🤔

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

I noticed that there are now 50,615 Basschatters registered on our little site. Others may know differently, but I got to thinking that there's probably somewhere around 300 'regular' names popping up across a variety of threads - and I feel that's being generous. Where are the other 50,315? Was it something I (or you) said? 🤔

Yes, yes it was definitely something you said.

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

I wondered that too.

I discovered that a number of members are on different threads, which I never visit. 

So, I never see them because they are in different "rooms".

But 50,000? A lot of missing people.

As you say, 'but 50,000'. That's the entire population of a decent sized town. Someone call the BBC! Aliens are abducting bassists for a mega-gig on Jupiter!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cetera said:

Admins - May be time for a clean up? e.g. Delete/Remove anyone who hasn't visited in the the last 2 years?

Agree. 

I know a few former bassists who still have active accounts but have given up playing and sold their gear. Unlikely they'll be back. 

I'm fairly sure that several members who passed away in the last few years must also still have active accounts. 

People with duplicate accounts after forgetting their details? I know of a few of them. 

What about would be hackers? What happens to their accounts?

I know that the site owners would like to have others think that there are 50,000 members but I think that (well as long as I've been a member) it's always had a hard-core membership of around 3-400.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Agree. 

I know a few former bassists who still have active accounts but have given up playing and sold their gear. Unlikely they'll be back. 

I'm fairly sure that several members who passed away in the last few years must also still have active accounts. 

People with duplicate accounts after forgetting their details? I know of a few of them. 

What about would be hackers? What happens to their accounts?

I know that the site owners would like to have others think that there are 50,000 members but I think that (well as long as I've been a member) it's always had a hard-core membership of around 3-400.

I don't know how the database is indexed but think it would probably break the threads if you started deleting members.

Maybe mark them as inactive in some way, but don't see what is usefully gained. 

• Like 2

Talkbass seems to have around 330,000 members. The States with a population of 334 million would bear out the same 1 in 1000 people playing bass. 😆

Disclaimer, its just for fun and a fag packet sum, please don't expect me to do full analysis on the demographics of each site...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snorkie635 said:

Bots or banned! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1