Why become a member? ×

Christmas is coming - what is your favourite cheap bit of kit?

adriansmith247

Good thread for me this.   Wifey and me generally visit the home of a bass playing mate on dec 31st, just after his kids have been put to bed.  They supply all the grub and we bring presents.  Two years ago it was a bass strap, from Pinegrove leather:

https://www.pinegroveleather.com

And last year it was a pedal board.  Not sure what to pick this year so I'm keeping an eye out for any good suggestions.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 02:08, Norris said:

A decent custom made guitar lead, van Damme cable with gold-plated angled Neutrik jacks at both ends. Stops punters treading on/breaking them when plugged in my multi-fx pedal and keeps it tidy at the bass end.

I don't know why you can't seem to buy double angled jack leads off the shelf 🤷‍♂️

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282752194226

• Like 1

Gaffa tape. Always gaffa tape.

Another vote for a Behringer BDI 21. 

While not exactly a pocket money purchase, at £35, this has been a real boon. It raises my Genz Benz combo off the floor and into a position where I can actually hear it. Solid as a rock and very portable.

mixerstand.jpg.af13155d421203515daf2c11f1ad4064.jpg

If you use a tablet for cheat sheets, I can recommend one of these:

Screenshot2023-11-13124314.jpg.5e58c8885a8d8e53ad11401aba0c85f5.jpg

I've got one (branded Cuvave) and it's had 2-3 years of regular use with no issues. Currently a mere £9.64 on AliExpress 

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rushbo said:

Gaffa tape. Always gaffa tape.

Another vote for a Behringer BDI 21. 

While not exactly a pocket money purchase, at £35, this has been a real boon. It raises my Genz Benz combo off the floor and into a position where I can actually hear it. Solid as a rock and very portable.

mixerstand.jpg.af13155d421203515daf2c11f1ad4064.jpg

I'm liking the look of this.  At the moment we use one of the X shaped keyboard stands and I've squashed my fingers in it twice!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

I'm liking the look of this.  At the moment we use one of the X shaped keyboard stands and I've squashed my fingers in it twice!

#relatable

I have an irrational distrust of those angled amp stands, so I looked for ages to find something suitable for my combo. I almost went for one of those workmen's platforms/stepladders things, but their footprint was too big. This Thomann stand folders up into a T shape and is way lighter (if less impressive) than carting around the extension cab to seat it on. 

• Like 2

For the last 11 or 12 years, it's been a set of strings from my daughter. Trouble is, they're not £15 any more. Great when I was using Elites on a 4 string but now, my fave strings are La Bella white nylons, on a 5 string.  A set is anything up to £70 these days so I think it'll be back to the  good old standby  £20 Amazon voucher from the kids from now on.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 18:08, adriansmith247 said:

So much dodgy mains around I gave up taking one out. then again I play double bass so way less likely to get fried (I hope)

Anyone got a recommendation for a sturdy rucksack to fit amp head and cables, stands etc? 

I use a decent laptop bag. Current one is made by Jeep oddly enough but its seen better days now and looking at proper gig bag of some kind.

Might approach Hot Covers to see if they could make me one as they do all my amp and cab covers.

Dave

On 11/11/2023 at 18:05, adriansmith247 said:

Thats a great idea. And one for every other small item I own! 

Idiot stepson lost partners car keys. I had to drive seven miles bringing her spare. It was the kids dinner time and she was going frantic. I said to her “you have an AirTag, ping them”. She had forgotten. He’d put them in a plastic box in a field half a mile away and she was able to locate them using the iPhone map. We would never have found them otherwise. You don’t want to know what she called Mr Idiot. 

5 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

That's not 'losing them', that's 'hiding them', probably to recover them later for his own use. Hmm... Not cool. ¬¬

No that was stupidity- they all had to come back together. Yesterday’s stupidity was to start a bonfire, next to a wooden fence, with bushes and overhanging trees, 1.5 metres from a wooden shed containing rabbits and bedding. In high winds