Why become a member? ×

Original '62 P in UK

NikNik

1 hour ago, NikNik said:

And:  'Tone control pot may need attention as it currently works as a volume pot..' - isn't that a symptom of a broken coil?

Its symptomatic of a shorted tone capacitor

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I saw that, you would have thought they would have fixed it before listing, unless they wanted to keep it all original by not changing anything?

As the value of an older fender bass is more in its age and originality rather than it being an instrument, I would say that this would be the right thing to do.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Its symptomatic of a shorted tone capacitor

As the value of an older fender bass is more in its age and originality rather than it being an instrument, I would say that this would be the right thing to do.

I had it on a Mustang bass. It was definitely a broken coil. I swapped out everything and it didn't solve the problem.  Dialling the tone back saw a considerable volume drop and thin, weedy tone.

17 minutes ago, NikNik said:

I had it on a Mustang bass. It was definitely a broken coil. I swapped out everything and it didn't solve the problem.  Dialling the tone back saw a considerable volume drop and thin, weedy tone.

I don’t know much about that sort of thing but does that mean the pickup would need to be rewound 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I don’t know much about that sort of thing but does that mean the pickup would need to be rewound 

Yes. Woodinblack is correct as well, but if they've looked at the electrics and they tested ok, the only answer is a broken coil.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sibob said:

£11k with a refinished neck? Does that mean the logo is also a replica?
I'm no expert, but the burst colour doesn't look right to me either, but could be down to lighting potentially.

Si

That neck refin looks like a bad shellac finish.

• Like 1

I´m pretty sure the body has been refinished too. The burst is just not right. Also sunburst Fenders would ship out standard with tort pickguards in ´62. Though of course it´s Fender, so there always could be a few exceptions.

One of the pictures presumably shows the bass live in ´66. I´d expect a light burst like this to be more apparent in the picture. Of course it can be hard to tell sometimes, but I dont see any burst, let alone a light one like this. There also seem some small damages on the pictures white spot near right hand) that are not present in the current condition.

13 hours ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

I´m pretty sure the body has been refinished too. The burst is just not right. Also sunburst Fenders would ship out standard with tort pickguards in ´62. Though of course it´s Fender, so there always could be a few exceptions.

One of the pictures presumably shows the bass live in ´66. I´d expect a light burst like this to be more apparent in the picture. Of course it can be hard to tell sometimes, but I dont see any burst, let alone a light one like this. There also seem some small damages on the pictures white spot near right hand) that are not present in the current condition.

It's not a 62 Sunburst finish. It's been refinished, and you're right tort guards were as standard. It's probably because they're taking the seller at his word, and he (or his family) have forgotten to mention it and the seller doesn't really know what they have. I'm sure it's a lovely bass, but when you can buy a genuine 60s refin from ATB with all the provenance attached for less than half that, I know where I'd go.

Seller of a £12k instrument should either demonstrate better knowledge of it or provide the evidence of someone who does. Clearly doesn’t understand Fender serials, electrics and finishes (OK the latter might be legit - a peek under the guard would be helpful - but it looks to be neither original or the same finish as in the 66 photo. Looks a little like poly in some places also). 

But either way, still doesn’t look like a ‘62 should look and that’s a big part of it

On 02/11/2023 at 07:47, NikNik said:

Wouldn't a broken coil on a P result in it not producing any sound at all? Looking at the circuit for the tone control on a P, a shorted capacitor seems the more likely culprit.

On 02/11/2023 at 07:47, NikNik said:

If you got a thin weedy sound then yes, it could be a coil. If it is working as a volume control (ie, full off is no sound at all), it is a shorted capacitor, a tone control with a shorted capacitor is a volume control.

• Like 2