Why become a member? ×

Coated string options and questions.

fretmeister

I have never tried any coated strings.

Most seem to be nickel, to which I have a nasty allergy - so how long does the coating last? If it starts coming off in a month or two then I would be exposed to the nickel and they'd have to go in the bin.

I'm looking for strings with low string noise but are a bit brighter than flats. But not too bright like steels would be.

I usually have 40-100 gauge and alas Elixirs only do 45-105 as a steel coated, but I could try the nickels 40-95 if the coating lasts. If not then DR have some coated steels but I've never seen them mentioned on here.

Any ideas?

I had some DR Black Beauties on a bass and frankly they are as good as Elixir's.

They are softer to the touch than the Elixir's as they have a round core so more flexible, and even if they are stainless steel coated, they are not aggressive to the ears or the fingers.

I prefer the sound of nickel strings and these DR Black Beauties are a very good alternative.

They do exist in your favourite gauge too as BKB-40.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I had some DR Black Beauties on a bass and frankly they are as good as Elixir's.

They are softer to the touch than the Elixir's as they have a round core so more flexible, and even if they are stainless steel coated, they are not aggressive to the ears or the fingers.

I prefer the sound of nickel strings and these DR Black Beauties are a very good alternative.

They do exist in your favourite gauge too as BKB-40.

I might give them a try then. I do like other DR strings.

On 29/09/2023 at 16:27, fretmeister said:

I have never tried any coated strings.

Most seem to be nickel, to which I have a nasty allergy - so how long does the coating last? If it starts coming off in a month or two then I would be exposed to the nickel and they'd have to go in the bin.

I'm looking for strings with low string noise but are a bit brighter than flats. But not too bright like steels would be.

I usually have 40-100 gauge and alas Elixirs only do 45-105 as a steel coated, but I could try the nickels 40-95 if the coating lasts. If not then DR have some coated steels but I've never seen them mentioned on here.

Any ideas?

image.thumb.png.3cd60baddc9da26e2d92a77474a83411.png

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

My tech threw my Elixirs in the bin and told me not to use them. Recommended D’addario XTs as the winding wire is coated before the string is wound, not after like Elixirs. 
He looks after Keith Richards’ guitars so I’m inclined to listen to him! 

I think the wrap is nickel but the coating is corrosion resistant so should protect you from it? 

Edited by woodster
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, woodster said:

My tech threw my Elixirs in the bin and told me not to use them. Recommended D’addario XTs as the winding wire is coated before the string is wound, not after like Elixirs. 

I think the wrap is nickel but the coating is corrosion resistant so should protect you from it? 

How do XTs compare to regular XLs? 

6 hours ago, woodster said:

You got some drug intake catching up to do if you are aspire to be like Keith Richard.

And you play the wrong instrument...

Also as someone else pointed out the way the Elixir strings are coated they prevent gunk from piling up in the gaps between the wounds, which is usually what kills strings, the D'Addario XTs won't.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

17 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

You got some drug intake catching up to do if you are aspire to be like Keith Richard.

And you play the wrong instrument...

Also as someone else pointed out the way the Elixir strings are coated they prevent gunk from piling up in the gaps between the wounds, which is usually what kills strings, the D'Addario XTs won't.

You know nothing of my drug intake, don’t presume! 

The elixir process kills the tone for me and I killed a set in 4 gigs so the longevity premise just isn’t true for me. 

You pay your money and take your choice. And that for me is XTs. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 30/10/2023 at 06:49, NancyJohnson said:

I have a bit of a nickel allergy, I'll experience tingly/sensitive fingertips and a bit of dry/flaky skin.

Strings.  Elixir Nanowebs.  Coating doesn't flake off and they last yonks.  I've had the same ones on my Lulls since pre-pandemic and they're still pretty zingy.

This is my experience as well….

Elixirs all the way for me. Never found another coated strings that feels and sounds as good over a longer period. Had my current set on over 2 years and still sound good and no sign of fraying/flaking, but I don’t use a plectrum.

The only other strings I really liked were Dunlop super brights, not marketed as a long lasting string and not coated, but they lasted for ages.

Also D’Addario NYXL strings were amazing and lasted a really long time compared to other uncoated strings I have used.

I love Ernie Ball strings but I kill them after 2 gigs so not worth it for me.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I see that Bass Direct list Mark Bass 'LongEvo' coated strings in stainless steel or nickel, and Ernie Ball also have coated strings although I can only see those in nickel - all at a little bit cheaper than Elixirs. Can anyone comment on any of those?

3 hours ago, nekomatic said:

I see that Bass Direct list Mark Bass 'LongEvo' coated strings in stainless steel or nickel, and Ernie Ball also have coated strings although I can only see those in nickel - all at a little bit cheaper than Elixirs. Can anyone comment on any of those?

There's a thread elsewhere here about LongEvo strings, I can't wholly remember how I got a set of them, but they were on a reduced introduction price.  Might have been a direct purchase from Mark Bass.

Anyhow, moving along.  Interesting enough experiment, can't remember which bass they went on.  They were OK, but given there's several manufacturers making coated strings, there just didn't seem to be anything in the product that made me think it was worth repurchasing.  Just reverted to form and went back to Elixirs!  You get what you pay for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/10/2023 at 10:31, woodster said:

This is a bad thing, a very bad thing, actually.

Saying a string is coated is, in truth, fairly meaningless. It's like the ads for things which are "plant-based" under the guise of being healthier, but are still highly processed blobs of sugar, salt and fat.

How the string is coated is the important part. As mentioned before, the design and intent of the Elixir, coating the outside surface of the wound string as a whole, is to prevent biocrud getting into the windings because that is what makes your strings sound dull and lifeless. Putting a coating on and then wrapping does absolutely nothing to prevent biocrud seepage. In fact, all you're doing is adding a greater percentage of plastic into the string as the outer wind is coated even on the side which is touching the string core and never comes in contact with the player. It's a marketing exercise only and makes a string worse, not better.

This was a lesson learned the hard way, having tried Warwick and then D'Addario's "coated" strings and putting them in the bin not too long after installing them. Elixirs are worth the money because of how they are wound, which I think they still own the patent to. I should never have strayed as it was just an exercise in pi$$ing money away.

• Like 2

Here's the original LongEvo thread.  

This answers where I got mine from (promotion through a business called MSL Pro, who haven't visited Basschat in a propriety basis since June 2021); reading through the thread, it's odd how time/hindsight changes/refreshes/blurs opinion.  When they were fresh on, I seemed perfectly happy/positive about pretty much everything but fast forward to January 2023 and while yes, they'd been on the Hamer for a while (by comparison the Elixirs will have been on everything else for way longer) my observations were:

...had a couple of four hour rehearsal sessions - took the Lull to the first one (Elixir Nanowebs) and the Hamer on the second (LongEvo) - by way of observation the LongEvos were a little like running through treacle.  They felt a bit sticky (for want of a better description) if that makes sense...I tend to do a lot of work at the nut end and slide up to dusty end for embellishments, but they were quite hard going.  The Elixirs are almost self-lubricating by comparison.

• Thanks 1