Why become a member? ×

NBD - my first Rickenbacker

tvickey

1 hour ago, tvickey said:

Oh wow, what finishes are the 8 that you have??  Photos? :)

I've definitely looked around for some others... sadly, my GAS acts up most when something is particularly rare and/or difficult to find (e.g., I'm sure I could do with a nice late 70's early 80's Burgundy-Glo 4001... or a Noir with an ebony fretboard).  :)

This was my selection a while back.

The one on the end is a 5-string I bought from @6feet7, but I didn't quite gel with it and sold it back to him a year later when he had seller's remorse. I've now got another jetglo ('88) instead which I bought from some Guy.

ric-8Ricsingarden-201017aa.thumb.jpg.9429dbac38b36f6f97344fc78f432a6e.jpg

I may pick up one or two more if/when the right ones pop up...

• Like 8

2 hours ago, prowla said:

This was my selection a while back.

The one on the end is a 5-string I bought from @6feet7, but I didn't quite gel with it and sold it back to him a year later when he had seller's remorse. I've now got another jetglo ('88) instead which I bought from some Guy.

ric-8Ricsingarden-201017aa.thumb.jpg.9429dbac38b36f6f97344fc78f432a6e.jpg

I may pick up one or two more if/when the right ones pop up...

But which one to play?... Nice problem to have! 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 15:53, WHUFC BASS said:

Was never a huge fan of Ricks, the dual-truss rod, the quite frankly hopeless bridge and just the look of them (despite Lemmy playing one) until I saw this video. I love Eddie & The Hot Rods and this is one of their most underrated tracks ...

Well - there's a  thing.

And here's another thing...

faker-dc-pg-front-210730.thumb.jpg.0378916947bc6a05b7451f531a2d3377.jpg

Edited by prowla
  • Like 3

On 12/10/2023 at 11:53, WHUFC BASS said:

Was never a huge fan of Ricks, the dual-truss rod, the quite frankly hopeless bridge and just the look of them (despite Lemmy playing one) until I saw this video. I love Eddie & The Hot Rods and this is one of their most underrated tracks ...

Both of my Rics have the old style spring rods. You have to position the neck before attempting to tighten them , but they’re incredibly stable. In well over 25 years I’ve only had to touch them twice. My Fenders require seasonal adjustments. I haven’t had my 4000 as long , but I haven’t touched it after initially setting it up. Adjusting two rods instead of one isn’t exactly rocket science. It’s not that difficult to figure out. If you can adjust one , it’s easy to do two.

The old bridge is a pain , but once set you can forget about it. 

Rics are built differently , and they feel different from other basses. 
I do love a nice Ric. They might be making some of their best basses today (but I do love the older necks).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

I love mine.

67762885_2765070226840666_52001725460156

68257150_2765070040174018_92037228664182

68471884_2765070170174005_73378503412972

68431560_2765070070174015_56253845990612

Hi Ian, Those all look great!  Yeah, I remember you showing me one of them (perhaps the FireGlo?) when I dropped by your place a few years ago...   I'm still interested in that ChromeTone Warwick... one day! ;)

• Like 1

Stuck a bezel on earlier but didn’t notice the wheels on the saddles move when removing the strings but did notice there’s only one wrap around the E string tuner shaft….always thought at least 2….mind you the shafts look rather wee

IMG_1089.jpeg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dov65 said:

Stuck a bezel on earlier but didn’t notice the wheels on the saddles move when removing the strings but did notice there’s only one wrap around the E string tuner shaft….always thought at least 2….mind you the shafts look rather wee

IMG_1089.jpeg

You do poke the end of the string down the shaft and bend it at a right angle, so there is a little more strength there.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dov65 said:

IMG_1089.jpeg

Yeah, I did the same with mine... bezel installed after a couple of days, and the strings also had a single wrap around the pegs from the factory.  I'm leaving the manufacturer strings on for now, but will do more than a single wrap when I change them out.

On 14/10/2023 at 20:16, Dov65 said:

@tvickey mine comes tomorrow same colour from GG. How’s the strings on it ? I take it there Rickenbackers own. 

That's great!  The factory strings seem decent... I'm leaving them on until they wear out!    Normally I would remove factory strings and put DRs on...