Why become a member? ×

"Muffled" Sounding P Bass - any suggestions

Pirellithecat

Hi, 

I'm without my gigging bass for a few months so rather than buying a "new" bass, I'm trying to get my "spares" into shape!

I have a very playable Made in Japan, Squire Silver Series which  has a great 40mm neck which is a joy to play. 
But for gigging in a Covers band it just doesn't cut through - kind of muffled.  I can't solve this with EQ-ing as I suspect the frequencies just aren't present from the bass.

It's been round the houses in terms of mods (different pickups, different pots, different pot rating (250k/500k), different Strings, new Hipshot tuners, Gotoh bridge, String tree, etc) none of which seem to have fundamentally changed the sound so I've put it back to "stock" except the tuners and the pots. 

So 2 questions really. 

1) Have I missed something that I should try?

2) Given the neck is so nice to play, is it worth trying it on a different body? (or could it be the neck itself which generates the dialled in tone?)

Previously I've used it with TI flats for bluesy stuff and its fine for that genre.

I'm reluctant to sell it as, compared to P basses I've tried recently, it is FAR nicer to play and the 40mm neck is great.   I don't really want to butcher it in any way, either,  as its a fine example of the series. (eg - Pick up route is fairly shallow so some replacement pickups eg Geezer Butler won't fit. 

Thoughts welcome.

You do use roundwound strings right?

Though some P pickups just sounds rather muffled and wooly inherently (so swapping the pickup for a more well defined and articulate P pickup ought to help. A shame about the EMG Geezer Butler P not fitting, as that would have been perfect for that). 

Applying a HPF around 40Hz, and eventually cutting some low end further, around 100Hz to 200Hz or so, and boosting some high mids, around 1kHz or so, should help improving definition and articulation though.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Yes - using Roundwounds.
Unlike my other basses, this one doesn't respond well to EQ - I certainly reduce the low end and boost the mids, as you say, but all that really happens is it sound just as muffled, but "thinner" if that makes sense??   However, I do find semi parametric mids problematic as in controlling the things I want,  a lot of the adjacent frequencies which I actually "want" get lost too.  I am a simple chap though ........ 

Pickup Height - well.... I've just checked that and it might be a tad too low .... so I've taken everything apart, put new "foam" under the pickups and re-assembled.   Not sure it sounds any different, but I'll reserve judgement until I take it to rehearsal on Wednesday.  I've actually also reduced the relief on the neck and adjusted string height and intonation - certainly this makes it a little better to play but I'll leave it overnight and check it all tomorrow once everything has settled down a tad.    

It does play really nicely, and the 40mm neck is great and it might be that I'm expecting too much tonal variation from an "old" P bass. 

On the Cobalt front, I've tried these in the past and find the D'addario  NYXL's brighter  ...  I currently have GHS Bass Boomers on it just to experiment, but these don't really improve things over the NYXL's.  

But good thought.

I'll report back after rehearsals.

14 hours ago, Beedster said:

If you've tried different PUPs and different strings, it sounds to me like you're expecting a active bass zing/sizzle from a passive bass?  

I suspect that you might be right!   However, when I listen to other players using P Basses I don't notice the "muffledness"  but that could very well be that, from the audience point of view, everything sounds the same😂  I really should try an alternative , but it has to be at home, as in shops I find it difficult to really judge the sound as I'm usually hijacked by the action/playability and my ears seem to have a "shop filter" .   But that would be the definitive QC check! 

14 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Check that your tone pot isn't touching anything it shouldn't - it could be dumping all of your top end to ground.

Yep - had it all apart last night and the tone pot is OK.   It works in so far as it increases "muffledness" when rotated anticlockwise!! But good thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know the genre of music you play but I suspect you are a finger style player ?

I struggled with clarity and punch with fingers on all my PBass guitars even trying numerous pedals and amps to improve it 

The result was playing with a pick !!

The improvement was night and day and after dropping mids and boosting bass the pick played PBass sounded awesome with clarity 

Worked for me 

21 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

I don’t know the genre of music you play but I suspect you are a finger style player ?

I struggled with clarity and punch with fingers on all my PBass guitars even trying numerous pedals and amps to improve it 

The result was playing with a pick !!

The improvement was night and day and after dropping mids and boosting bass the pick played PBass sounded awesome with clarity 

Worked for me 

Yes, you're right

Pick transforms the sound!   Sadly I'm unable to use a pick for anything more than the simplest of pieces........ I'll keep trying ......  it's a lovely bass to play! Ta!

40 minutes ago, Pirellithecat said:

Yes, you're right

Pick transforms the sound!   Sadly I'm unable to use a pick for anything more than the simplest of pieces........ I'll keep trying ......  it's a lovely bass to play! Ta!

Two non-pick methods which have helped me 'sharpen' the sound are either to use the side of the index finger to get a distinct and firm 'snap' to each note, or by maintaining the fingernails just slightly longer, on the index and second fingers, and plucking the strings with fingertips - again a 'sharper' sound, sort of midway between pick and pad of finger. Could help, if not already tried

• Like 1

What amp are you using?  If you have tried other basses with your rig and they sound fine, well its probably not the amp, however, I used to own a MarkBass head; it always sounded like it had a blanket over it, even when using bridge pups.  I sold it and went through a few different manufacturers heads and settled on Gallien Krueger.

HaHa.....  Well, my ears a very definitely on their way out!  Which is why even a slight reduction in the upper registers are so important. 

The Strings are new(ish) GHS Basics (following on from d'addario NYXL's).  I think that using TI's and used in the context of playing Blues it would be fine and it could be that my expectations are unrealistic. If I I remember correctly, when it was strung with TI flats it was great ..... until I took it to a Jam Session where the resident bassist was using a Mark Bass Head set up for a very bright SX Jazz Bass. I literally couldn't hear the notes that I might have been playing!   

Pick-ups - they are stock 1990's Squier Japan - could well be the problem ...... maybe I'll swap them out but the only ones I have "spare" that will fit are SD PB1's  -  good reminder - I'll do that now.  I wanted to put my EMG Geezer Butler's in it but this would require routing as the "pocket" is insufficiently deep. 
Any suggestions on a decent pickup which isn't too "dark"? 

Currently using a Genzler Magellan 800 which is certainly not muffling anything.

In terms of recording, a) I've never done that so not sure how I'd get a representative tone.  b) My ears tell me that clips of basses even on good quality headphones are not really representative and, most of all ........c) without the heavy disquise of lots of drums and crashing guitar NO-ONE would want to hear me playing ANY bass on its own!

I'll have a play with strings and pickups this evening.  

I may be kidding myself!

I've just swapped (reversed) the white and black wires from the pickup into the Volume Control.   Also removed all the grounding wires (Bridge/ Copper shielding).

And it seems much better! 

I've tried reversing the reversal (with no additional ground) and it reverts to muffledness. 

Very difficult to know whether the change will be as positive through the bass rig .... but I'll reinstate some grounding wires and try it out at rehearsal on Thursday. 

If this turns out to be the issue I shall be very pleased!!  

• 2 weeks later...

Used the offending article at  last night's gig ............. WOW!   I believe it is now sorted.   It has phenomenal "heft" - if basses can have that, and deserves a bit more TLC to make it a really good bass to play live.  (bit of action tweaking, maybe new nut .... etc!  Thanks for all the input BCers.     

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pirellithecat said:

Used the offending article at  last night's gig ............. WOW!   I believe it is now sorted.   It has phenomenal "heft" - if basses can have that, and deserves a bit more TLC to make it a really good bass to play live.  (bit of action tweaking, maybe new nut .... etc!  Thanks for all the input BCers.     

In theory, from what I've read, changing the polarity on a single pickup shouldn't change the sound but if you hear the difference then that's all that matters.

Yep that is my understanding too. 

Maybe is was just a dodgy connection?   The alternative is that with sufficient eq- ing I managed to overcome the issue.  But whatever I've done it now seems possible to get a great sound from the bass, in contrast to my previous experience

• Like 1

I found that high mids are very important if fingerstyle on a PBass 

It naturally has an abundance of low mids but high mids are needed for clarity 

As a pick player for me it’s the reverse as the pick brings out the high mids so I back off my mids and boost my bass. The result is a full clear punchy sound.

Sounds like you’re on the way improving it.

In my attempts I have in the past found the Dimarzio DP122 pickup very good but also very hot so that brings other issues !

Edited by BassAdder60

15 hours ago, gjones said:

In theory, from what I've read, changing the polarity on a single pickup shouldn't change the sound but if you hear the difference then that's all that matters.

That depends, if for example a pickup pole grounding wire has been fused with the pickup coil ground, then it most definitely will.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash