Why become a member? ×

How heavily edited is your Social Media

TimR

20 hours ago, BigRedX said:

You know this site counts as social media don't you?

I see forums as a different animal, but not everyone will.  I was on forums long before FB etc. were a thing. Social Media like FB (as I see it) tend to want real names etc. and a certain level of authenticity even if they don't get it. I can't speak about Instagram et al as I've never been on 'em.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

Are you sure you're a Goth?!

The paradox of goth was always you had to deny being a goth to be a goth etc. So I never know how to answer this!

We did a radio interview this week and discussed humour and goth music. I think there is loads in the early stuff (Eldritch singing "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme a man after midnight" etc) but ultimately the scene started to take itself a little bit too seriously. I like a bit of humour in everything I do, often intentionally so! 

• Haha 1

On 15/09/2023 at 10:53, TimR said:

Influences borrowing supercars for photo shoots etc.

I used to know several supercar and supersaloon owners. All of them deliberately kept their cars off their social media to avoid everyone asking to go for a ride and to avoid thieves knowing where there's a very expensive car. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Social media can indeed create a curated image of our lives, and it's interesting how people strike a balance between authenticity and crafting their online presence. It's all about finding that sweet spot that works for you.

Speaking of online presence, if you ever want to enhance your Instagram or other social media profiles, you can consider services that offer the option to buy permanent Instagram followers, which can help boost your engagement and reach.

Whether it's highly polished content or more casual and authentic posts, what matters is staying true to yourself and connecting with your audience.

Edited by AizekDon

When I set up the first Nancy Johnson site (2006), it was more a treatment to test rudimentary .html, css, embedding Flash content, graphics and creative writing.  It was very basic stuff but reading it now makes me smile.  There's pages and pages of ridiculously stupid overblown content.

Of course it's all fluff.  We played with a band from Basingstoke one time and their manager had clearly read the site and actually asked how our dates went in Uzbekistan.  I've never been further east than Cyprus.

image.png.b766e16227adc393f155178db978d797.png

image.thumb.png.a34314d8b2b379e33089ed8ddbfc6a14.png+

Websites and press releases have a habit of catching up with you. I used to play in a pub rugby team called Old StreetOnions. The team was based around Old Street in London. I played with them as I worked at The Independent which was just down from Old St. The club is still there and far more professional now.

We weren't very good to be honest. What we were very good at, was writing press releases to the Highbury and Islington Gazette. For those of you before social media, we used to have local newspapers. Rather quaint in hindsight.

Anyway, I'd dutifully write up the game, double space it, double line it on Monday morning and send it to the Gazette and they'd print it verbatim. After a while, I got bored so I'd make stuff up, little white lies, I suspect its a bit like a drug addiction, I thought I could handle it and just make it a bit more interesting. Whatever I write the Gazette kept printing it verbatim. For them, this was 1/4 or 1/8 of a page free words, so they were happy.

I was still bored so we started getting more and more outrageous in our 'little white lies'. We looked at lottery funding, we were going to try and get planning permission for our Stadium of Light on Hackney Marshes. We had warm weather training in Lanzarote during winter, one of the team caught maleria during winter training, the treasurer ran off with the funds for the stadium and the police were tracking him down. No lie too outrageous, the Gazette printed it all, every word.

We finally came unstuck when we said the captain had made Tai Chi mandatory for all the forwards so they could connect to their inner self. The BBC picked up on this from the Gazette and splashed it across their national news at 08:00  as a "A team in London have taken up Tai Chi to get fit.... " to add some fun. It then took off, Sky picked up on it, all the rugby playing countries around the world picked up on it and we were being chased for interviews and pictures. We were all fat blokes playing rugby for fun.  Nowadays we'd say it went viral.

We finally came down to earth when the Telegraph really investigated us. We got a half page in national newspaper on a Saturday in the sports pages where they debunked everything but realised it was all done with a cheeky grin. I lost the copy of the article when we moved which was a great disappointment.

So the moral of this story is, choose your social media experiment with care, we went global very quickly and just as quick came down to earth. However it was great and I wouldn;t have changed it for anything.

Rob

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, rwillett said:

Websites and press releases have a habit of catching up with you. I used to play in a pub rugby team called Old StreetOnions. The team was based around Old Street in London. I played with them as I worked at The Independent which was just down from Old St. The club is still there and far more professional now.

We weren't very good to be honest. What we were very good at, was writing press releases to the Highbury and Islington Gazette. For those of you before social media, we used to have local newspapers. Rather quaint in hindsight.

Anyway, I'd dutifully write up the game, double space it, double line it on Monday morning and send it to the Gazette and they'd print it verbatim. After a while, I got bored so I'd make stuff up, little white lies, I suspect its a bit like a drug addiction, I thought I could handle it and just make it a bit more interesting. Whatever I write the Gazette kept printing it verbatim. For them, this was 1/4 or 1/8 of a page free words, so they were happy.

I was still bored so we started getting more and more outrageous in our 'little white lies'. We looked at lottery funding, we were going to try and get planning permission for our Stadium of Light on Hackney Marshes. We had warm weather training in Lanzarote during winter, one of the team caught maleria during winter training, the treasurer ran off with the funds for the stadium and the police were tracking him down. No lie too outrageous, the Gazette printed it all, every word.

We finally came unstuck when we said the captain had made Tai Chi mandatory for all the forwards so they could connect to their inner self. The BBC picked up on this from the Gazette and splashed it across their national news at 08:00  as a "A team in London have taken up Tai Chi to get fit.... " to add some fun. It then took off, Sky picked up on it, all the rugby playing countries around the world picked up on it and we were being chased for interviews and pictures. We were all fat blokes playing rugby for fun.  Nowadays we'd say it went viral.

We finally came down to earth when the Telegraph really investigated us. We got a half page in national newspaper on a Saturday in the sports pages where they debunked everything but realised it was all done with a cheeky grin. I lost the copy of the article when we moved which was a great disappointment.

So the moral of this story is, choose your social media experiment with care, we went global very quickly and just as quick came down to earth. However it was great and I wouldn;t have changed it for anything.

Rob

An old friend of mine, known as Edward Ian Armchair, was fronting a band at a local gig soon after his father had died. He was rather disgruntled at the fact his dad's ashes had been sent back to him in a plastic urn, and held it aloft, complaining about it. Another couple of friends had a contact who had moved from the Tamworth Herald to the Sun's showbiz pages, and they rather overhyped the story, so it appeared in the Sun as Eddie having thrown his father's ashes over screaming girls in the audience.

Incidentally, Eddie (aka Kevin Knowles) was on TV a little while back, in Joe Lycett - Summer Exhibitionist, with his array of creepy plastic dolls.

On 15/09/2023 at 21:03, TimR said:

What I absolutely loathe is the "Something really bad is happening in my life..." posts, with no context, followed by a bunch of people saying "they're here for you". 

But then I'm a man of a certain age. Got a problem call a mate, don't stick it on Facebook fishing for attention. 

U OK hun?

3 minutes ago, ahpook said:

I have a Facebook account I never look at. It's under a silly pseudonym, none of my family or friends know about it and all the notifications are automatically marked as read.

Sometimes I think I'm missing the point :)

Thats a great way to handle FB, an even better way would be a bot to do everything for you. That bot responds to other bots and you do nothing at all. The only issue is of the bots suddenly become sentient and you've created SkyNet, but I'm fairly sure that won't happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rwillett said:

Thats a great way to handle FB, an even better way would be a bot to do everything for you. That bot responds to other bots and you do nothing at all. The only issue is of the bots suddenly become sentient and you've created SkyNet, but I'm fairly sure that won't happen.

As long as you're fairly sure :)