Why become a member? ×

It's still in the wrong place

tauzero

8 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Ideally, it would be useful to see insights into forum browsing vs. search.

Does anyone click through the individual forums to browse the topics anymore?

Yes. It's a relatively small number of forums. I prefer not to have default home screen that shows loads of popular threads in forums I don't read, unless as BRX says there's an option to revert to the traditional view.

You can bookmark any customised page you like as your default. I made a custom stream to show latest threads as I like to scan across the forum and rarely use the main index unless I’m looking for something specific. 

I say with this new forum just wait and see how it develops. If we end up with people getting lost then we can move it, not that I’m the one who’s deciding. 

I do still feel that pinned threads are a waste of time and counterproductive. Popular threads will stay near the top if they’re popular. Participants will be able to find them if they’re following. And pinning things is a good way to make them invisible, as usually the pinned stuff is rules and other T&Cs which again I’d argue don’t need pinning - there are better options such as announcements, forum sub pages and so forth nowadays. 

3 minutes ago, ped said:

I do still feel that pinned threads are a waste of time and counterproductive. Popular threads will stay near the top if they’re popular. Participants will be able to find them if they’re following. And pinning things is a good way to make them invisible, as usually the pinned stuff is rules and other T&Cs which again I’d argue don’t need pinning - there are better options such as announcements, forum sub pages and so forth nowadays. 

100%. Pin Blindness is a thing.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ped said:

I frequent another music forum where serval of the sub fora have so many pinned threads that the first unpinned one is off the bottom of the "page" on a 23" monitor! Consequently the first thing I do when browsing these is automatically scroll past everything that is pinned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

I frequent another music forum where serval of the sub fora have so many pinned threads that the first unpinned one is off the bottom of the "page" on a 23" monitor! Consequently the first thing I do when browsing these is automatically scroll past everything that is pinned.

Exactly. They’re pointless! 

On 07/09/2023 at 08:00, wateroftyne said:

Ideally, it would be useful to see insights into forum browsing vs. search.

Its worth considering how its viewed by new users, certainly if I'm new to a forum, (and often when browsing anyway) I'll look at the various subforums.

18 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

Its worth considering how its viewed by new users, certainly if I'm new to a forum, (and often when browsing anyway) I'll look at the various subforums.

I’m the opposite- I’d rather see a recent thread list so I can really get a feel for what it’s like.

It probably depends on how you browse.

I have Basschat open in a tab of my browser all the time while I'm working so I can quickly dip in and see what's happening while I'm waiting for a 3D render or for Photoshop to process a 2GB file, and because of this the default view works fine for me. If I'm really keen to keep up with what is being posted I can push the window onto my third monitor which is  only used about 50% of the time for work. I rarely "follow" any threads because it's easy to see which ones have new posts.

On the other hand if I was on a mobile device and viewing once a day or less I might find one of the alternative arrangements more suitable.

On 07/09/2023 at 08:00, wateroftyne said:

Me. 

On 07/09/2023 at 09:00, wateroftyne said:

I reckon there's a case for the homepage to default to a 'most recent threads' list. 

Please don't do this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Please don't default to most recent. That's exactly how I do NOT use the forum. If you prefer to add a setting that allows each user to choose their own default opening page when they log in, that's fine, but please don't impose such change on everybody with no way out.

I'm usually completely uninterested in what the latest threads are. I tend to either have a quick scan (with mod hat on) or go to my favourite threads, which I also follow by email.

Just now, Silvia Bluejay said:

Please don't default to most recent. That's exactly how I do NOT use the forum. If you prefer to add a setting that allows each user to choose their own default opening page when they log in, that's fine, but please don't impose such change on everybody with no way out.

I'm usually completely uninterested in what the latest threads are. I tend to either have a quick scan (with mod hat on) or go to my favourite threads, which I also follow by email.

Who said anything about no way out?

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Would be scanning through pages and pages of uninteresting new yap to find interesting yap.

Absolutely. Now why can't we have the PA forum in Gear?

I dunno.. if you use BC fairly regularly, you can see pretty much all the recent activity in one place with a click or two. It also means you won't miss stuff that might have otherwise missed your attention 'cos it wasn't is the 'right' forum.

As to your other point... it's not a question for me. But if it was, I'd be reluctant to add more sub-forums.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2023 at 09:00, wateroftyne said:

I reckon there's a case for the homepage to default to a 'most recent threads' list. Much more interesting and engaging than a flat list of forum titles.

The problem with this approach is that it guarantees that what Basschat will offer you is what other people are interested in, and you're straight into social media territory.

What I want to see is what I am interested in, and I reckon I'm the best judge of that.

• Like 1

Just now, Happy Jack said:

The problem with this approach is that it guarantees that what Basschat will offer you is what other people are interested in, and you're straight into social media territory.

What I want to see is what I am interested in, and I reckon I'm the best judge of that.

Fairy nuff. I like to see everything recent in one list. You never know what you might miss...

11 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Fairy nuff. I like to see everything recent in one list. You never know what you might miss...

I suspect that for a Mod your approach works really well, Michael. For a mere browser such as me, the steam-powered route is just fine. 🙂

• Like 1