Why become a member? ×

It's still in the wrong place

tauzero

Because @Downunderwonder insisted on saying "under Amps and Cabs", that's where @Kiwi has put it. It should be under Gear, a top-level sub-forum, at an appropriate position in the list (which was what Downunderwonder meant by "under" only it's completely the wrong word to use when talking about forum structure as it means "subforum of").

Sorry if I came over rather impolitely. There was a consensus (well, three of us agreed). Although @Downunderwonder initially suggested a sub-forum of Amps and Cabs, he later revised this to being directly under Gear but following Amps and Cabs (which was when he changed what he meant by "under" though he did also show what he meant by it). @BigRedX was also of the opinion that it was big enough to be a sub-forum directly under Gear. @Silvia Bluejaysuggested it be a sub-forum of Amps and Cabs. Could anyone else with an opinion please make it known?

While I see your point, guys, in that there will always be scope for tinkering with the exact positioning of the PA forum - and possibly others! - I think we can stop fretting (😉) for now and leave the subforum where Steve has put it. While the PA is definitely not an Other Instrument, it's usually made of (power) Amps and Cabs and speakers etc. For someone looking for PA talk, finding the forum now is a slightly more logical process than before. Let's see how it goes. 👍

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

While I see your point, guys, in that there will always be scope for tinkering with the exact positioning of the PA forum - and possibly others! - I think we can stop fretting (😉) for now and leave the subforum where Steve has put it. While the PA is definitely not an Other Instrument, it's usually made of (power) Amps and Cabs and speakers etc. For someone looking for PA talk, finding the forum now is a slightly more logical process than before. Let's see how it goes. 👍

There was only one voice for it being a sub forum, yours. Please see about getting it upgraded. Eventually the amps  and cabs forum will die off to a stub of the PA forum as the younger members adopt IEM silent stages. May as well prepare for it now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Eventually the amps  and cabs forum will die off to a stub of the PA forum as the younger members adopt IEM silent stages. May as well prepare for it now.

That's a good point

Re 'in the wrong place' does it really matter if we all know where it is and how to get there? 

10 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Just to clarify - I think it’s good subject matter for BC, but I’m not sure giving it its own forum has any benefit. 

For me it's probably a more useful forum than A&C, and given thread titles can on occasion be misleading - meaning I might miss a useful PA-related thread in A&C - I'm pleased we've got it. Thanks mods 👍

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Just to clarify - I think it’s good subject matter for BC, but I’m not sure giving it its own forum has any benefit. 

Prior to this, it was spread among at least three other subforums of Gear, plus General Discussion.

• Thanks 1

On 04/09/2023 at 15:05, Silvia Bluejay said:

I'm completely in agreement with that, now it's here I think we say 'thanks very much' to all at BC for giving us a home and get on with proving that it is a worthwhile project.

I'm very happy that this is a great place for PA to be discussed. This is a community of people who by and large come to know each other, we learn who we trust and like and the whole place is helpful supportive and collectively knowledgeable. i don't know how many of us are performing musicians but it's a fair proportion of us judging by the posts. Let's just get on with it for now, when we hit 50 pages and 10,000 views we can revisit getting a change of address

• Like 1

I agree with @Phil Starr. It does seem that many bassists run the PA as well and that gives it a twist that only we understand. That is not to say only bassists understand PAs, far from it. However we do have a unique viewpoint, especially from the low end. 

With the drive to FRFR and modelling, plus then use of many active PA  speakers for Backline, the areas are melding. As for the argument as to where it should go, There is a good argument to make the DIY Effects thread a Sub Forum but it is not yet deemed worthy. That is not a dig but just to say it does make it easier to find PA/FoH threads. It will eventually find its natural home.

4 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

With the drive to FRFR and modelling, plus then use of many active PA  speakers for Backline, the areas are melding. As for the argument as to where it should go, There is a good argument to make the DIY Effects thread a Sub Forum but it is not yet deemed worthy. That is not a dig but just to say it does make it easier to find PA/FoH threads. It will eventually find its natural home.

DIY Effects was even depinned for a while - a few of us made a sufficient case for it to be repinned.

51 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Does anyone click through the individual forums to browse the topics anymore?

Yes, that's me. There are certain forums I don't look at very often because there are rarely any threads I'm interested in (EUB and Double Bass for instance), but by simply browsing through the threads is the easiest way for me to see new topics I might be interested in contributing to.

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

Ideally, it would be useful to see insights into forum browsing vs. search.

Yes, threads that I subbed'd to can sometimes get boring, so at least once a day I have a quick trawl, then I look through the threads😁

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Yeah, me, and probably most of the geezers like me I would have thought.

Sometimes I accidentally click on that titsonabull "mark forum read" button right next to the forum link and my heart skips a beat backing out of it.

If I have read I have read it. If I haven't I haven't. Wtaf?!?!