Why become a member? ×

New Sire 24 fret basses

Is it just me or does anyone else think the body on these is really weird and stumpy-looking?

I imagine they would look a lot less weird if had been designed without a pickguard/control plate

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/sire/sire-marcus-miller-series-bass-guitars/sire-v-series-basses/sire-v5-basses/sire-marcus-miller-v5-24-fret-4-string-fretless-bass-guitar-vintage-white

SIREFL24V54VWH-Sire-V5-24-Fret-4-String-Fretless-Bass-Vintage-White.thumb.jpeg.e0f8d4f0992657bfefb60f28b891cf32.jpeg

It looks just like any other bass, to me. 2D photos do not do justice to 3D objects, often enough; a better idea might be from a video of someone actually playing one in a band. I've seen very much more 'shocking' basses; this just looks like a bass. :|

7 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I've just recalled what they remind me of — Those folded faces that were a bit of a meme a while ago

kj.jpeg

o.O

Isn't that only because you see a "not Fender Jazz" Bass, rather than an unique instrument/model in it's own regard?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

4 minutes ago, Rayman said:

They’ve tried to redesign to allow better upper fret access. Personally I never go above the 12th fret.

I for one appreciate that.

I don't know what it is with Fender and 19 frets necks with the last 3 frets sitting on the body, being inaccessible.  

8 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

o.O

Isn't that only because you see a "not Fender Jazz" Bass, rather than an unique instrument/model in it's own regard?

Yes of course — if it wasn't a wonky looking fender copy it wouldn't have the wonky looking pickguard.

Fender did something similar in around 1989 with the 'boner' jazz as it was known, but as it only had 22 fret it wasn't quite as extreme.

1989-Fender-Longhorn-Jazz-Bass-White-4.thumb.jpg.20642e2851e33c4003ad19c8c36e50f0.jpg

4 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

They made an active 5 string for Nathan King a few years back to thank him for doing the Andertons video`s. Here he is playing it.

Nice bass, but what happened to Norman Watt-Roy? Can you even have The Blockheads without him?

• 4 months later...
On 13/08/2023 at 21:45, jezzaboy said:

They made an active 5 string for Nathan King a few years back to thank him for doing the Andertons video`s. Here he is playing it.

Saw the Blockheads last night at Dingwall's. They were great.

Isn't that just a standard Sire V7?

Edited by Johncee
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Johncee said:

Saw the Blockheads last night at Dingwall's. They were great.

Isn't that just a standard Sire V7?

Naw, I`m pretty sure thats the new shape 24 fret job that no bugger seems to be buying as Andertons have dropped the prices about £200.

1 hour ago, jezzaboy said:

Naw, I`m pretty sure thats the new shape 24 fret job that no bugger seems to be buying as Andertons have dropped the prices about £200.

Yes, I see you're right now.

Had it down as a standard V7 when I saw them last night, but I was a fair way back. 

• Like 1

On 13/08/2023 at 22:45, Baloney Balderdash said:

I for one appreciate that.

I don't know what it is with Fender and 19 frets necks with the last 3 frets sitting on the body, being inaccessible.  

That’s why all bolt on necks suck! Had a custom jazz made just so I could have a set neck and smooth unfettered access to the dusty end. 

On 13/08/2023 at 22:45, jezzaboy said:

Also known as the crazy knob fiddler, making sure no one gets absolutely no wiser at what the controls of a pedal does or how it actually sounds.

On 13/08/2023 at 13:23, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think the body on these is really weird and stumpy-looking?

Yes - the balance between the horns is lost with that larger cutaway.

It looks lopsided to me....like its been drawn with your off hand.

(I also think the headstock looks like it's been drawn like a 7-year old - I really don't like what Sire decided to do up there)

Edited by ahpook

41 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Yes - the balance between the horns is lost with that larger cutaway.

It looks lopsided to me....like its been drawn with your off hand.

I feel the same, it's the long lower horn that makes it look weird. I don't mind the deeper cutaway, but the long horn makes it look wonky. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, songofthewind said:

Never mind the body, I can't STAND those droopy Sire headstocks. What were they thinking??

Yup. It's kinda a silly and slightly shallow thing to get hung up on, but the headstock is a dealbreaker for me too. 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

It's no worse than the Sadowsky headstock, and a bazillion times better than the Alleva-Coppolo one. IMO anyway. 

Well,   personal taste comes into it of course, but to my eyes the curves of both the Sadowsky and A-C headstocks flow naturally into one another, and work well together. The Sire headstock is just an awkward-looking mess that makes no geometric sense. One could well say "so what" and that's a perfectly valid position to take. 😀

1 hour ago, Rich said:

It's no worse than the Sadowsky headstock, and a bazillion times better than the Alleva-Coppolo one. IMO anyway. 

I like the Sadowsky one. But you're right about the A-C one. It's "blobby", like a low-resolution version of a Fender headstock!