Why become a member? ×

After 40 Years My instrument Choices

pmjos

On 31/07/2023 at 16:39, pmjos said:

I thought I'd share my personal modern instrument choices at this point( I mainly play 5's) - what are yours.

I'm actually trying to get down to the minimum number of instruments, but likely won't. I think, for basses, my minimum would be;

BTB846v with Aguilar DCs

SR806 with SR256 as backup

SRC6 

One of my 5s, but not sure which I'll keep, and,

Ibanez RB620 on the odd chance I actually need a trad looking 4.

I really can't think of anything I've done or likely to do in the future that that list wouldn't cover, especially with modern flexible EQ and FX.

That leaves maybe 30 to sell.

• Like 1

53 basses after I started and I guess I have become a Epiphone Jack Casady and G&L guy in the main. In a former life I was Mr. Gibson, but hard times had me pack up and sell them all. I doubt I'll get back into the Gibsons now - they're a waste of time right now when it comes to new basses, and the prices of old ones that I'd be interested in have gone doolally. These days I'm all about value, and that means things like G&L Tributes, Sires, that kind of bang for buck level.

• Like 4

Just realised I’ve been playing bass for 40 years too!  😎

My main instruments of choice are:

Ibanez SR1000 bass that I got new in 1990.  It’s had quite a few mods & plays like a dream. 
Roli Rise25. Fantastic bit of kit for getting those expressive synth bass lines that you can’t do on a regular synth. 
Roland Jupiter X. Just got this last month & had its first band outing last night. Mostly bass duties, but doing some simple right hand work too when the pianist wants to play clarinet.  It’s a beast of a synth. 

Well over forty years now , hard to believe. First I had a cheap Zen-On guitar that had bass strings. I was asked to audition for a touring band (local circuit) and nobody else turned up at the audition , so I got the spot and needed to find a bass fast. A friend sold me a slightly used 72 Pbass and I was off.

For many years it was the only bass I had.

Today I have a medium sized pile of them and have come to prefer short scales. So I often bring a Dano Longhorn to gigs , often accompanied by a UniVox HiFlyer. I seem to gig with cheap basses and nice amps. At home I seem to use a pair of Gibsons the most , either the SG or a LesPaul Jr Tribute.
I do try and put some time on the others.

I'm 42 years in now.

Started with a Kay bass, next Fender Musicmaster, Manson Explorer, Aria SBR150, Vox White shadow Fretless, Aria XRB then

Fender Precision.

Bought my main bass, a '73 in 1990. Still have it plus a few more precisions and a Mustang.

Been through all sorts, Jaydee, Spector, Musicman, Rickys, Status, Steinberger, Hofner

always back to Fender. Mustang mainly, due to neck/back issues, but I always bring a P bass as a spare

41 years in for me..

I appear to have gone full circle, as my first bass was a very nice Jap Jazz bass copy, followed by a Squier P-bass,

My main gigging basses now are Jazz & Precisions for my main band…

Admittedly, due to being in a tribute band touring theatres,clubs & festivals, my working basses have got to look the part?

I’ve been through (and mostly kept) a plethora of basses in that time…Vox,Hohner,Status,Musicman,Warwick,Alembic but find the more boutique brands far too delicate for the rigours of touring life, with the exception of my Musicman basses which still get a regular airing with my Pub/club work with my other bands.

• Like 1

50 years in…with 3 basses

Pedulla MPV 5 with nickel elixer light gauge strings..p/j configuration…my main bass for everything…an extension of my body.

Yamaha NE2…Swiss army bass with way more tonal variations than I’ll ever need.

Spector Spectracore 5 with Flats…Super fretless tone and so easy to move around on. 

Edited by dclaassen
Messed up
  • Like 2

40+ years in for me, with 30+ doing it for a living.

Played mainly Precisons and Musicmans for years, various models.

Reluctantly gave up on the MM stuff when I couldn’t find a Ray light enough.

Currently using a Precision Lyte (1 of 2) as my main squeeze, along with a Dano Longhorn

and an Ibanez PNB14E electro acoustic which is a fine little thing. I have a lightweight

Jazz bitsa for depping with pub bands and stuff. My 63 Precision also gets an occasional

outing when I do a gig where I can keep an eye on it. 

• Like 1

On 01/08/2023 at 11:56, ead said:

Aside from my lovely fretless ACGs, I seem to have gravitated towards variations on a P bass theme:

Normal P

'54 style P

Attitude Special

Lee Sklar-alike double P

Is there a therapy group I can join?

I run such a group. You send me all your basses and I hold onto them for you for around thirty years. If after that time, you no longer wish to have them back, you are cured and are only due me 'storage' money. If however, you still lust after your bass(es), I keep them for a further twenty year period, once more gauging your mental state when handover point rolls around. I offer this service over an indefinite period of time to suit your needs. 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

I run such a group. You send me all your basses and I hold onto them for you for around thirty years. If after that time, you no longer wish to have them back, you are cured and are only due me 'storage' money. If however, you still lust after your bass(es), I keep them for a further twenty year period, once more gauging your mental state when handover point rolls around. I offer this service over an indefinite period of time to suit your needs. 😋

Scam.. If they want them back you'll just say the dog chewed them up, or something equally unlikely... 

2 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I see..

Mrs S..  In the garden..  With a wood chipper... 

You've won tonight's Star Prize - a Zenta Custom Shop fretless piano. Pick-up from John O'Groats. Look for last gaff before sea appears and ask for Johnnie.

Always only ever had two basses in rotation and that was always one too many. I need to get to know an instrument and for me that can take years. Im not a bad player but plonk me in a guitar store and it's as if Ive never picked up a bass let alone ever played one.

Anyway currently playing a CV 70 P bass. Probably the best bass Ive ever owned and Ive had tons over the decades. Its chunky, light and sounds like a good P bass. 

• Like 2

I've got three main gigging basses - Sei Flamboyant 5 headless fretted, Sei Original 5 headless fretless, and an Ibanez EHB1265MS with Aguilar DCB pickups (I don't take them all out to gigs, just one, plus a Hohner B2AV for backup). I've decided that another couple are going to get taken out sometimes too - an Antoniotsai 5-string (used to be my main gigging bass until getting the Seis) and an Esh Poseidon V.

Last count I'm at is seven.  Two Lulls, two Hamers, a Spector, a '70s Aria Precision and an Ibanez Roadster project thing.

Reckon I've owned pretty much everything I've desired over the last four decades, wouldn't have minded a Stingray 4HH, but probably wouldn't have hung onto it.  No idea why I bought several Fenders as I disliked them all immensely.  Wish I'd hung on to the white Gibson Thunderbird that I sold to @police squad, but I needed the swag for one of the Lulls.  I'd like to get a Lull T4 at some point.