Why become a member? ×

Desert Island Effects ...

SamIAm

Prunes and Custard

MXR envelope

Holden phaser 

Danelectro Cool Cat chorus.

Pretty please for a loop station that I don't use normally but on a dessert island with no guitarist it wouldn't be much fun and I could improvise some dodgy chords to bass along with while coconut drumming with my feet. I would be quite the circus act by the time I got rescued.

• Like 4

Tuner (w/ Mute)... Chorus (Slow-ish and Shallow)... Phaser (S-l-o-w and Shallow)... Drive / Amp Sim (Valve cusp of breakup distortion, subtle Marshall / Orange)

Not over fussed on make, but really like the 'lil Joyo Ironman Tuner, Ironman Chorus is lovely and subtle, the Orange Juice is good, and both work well with a Bass... would love the matching Phaser... and maybe try the Goldenface? been keepin my eye out for a cheapy... looking at the Behringer VP1 but no Depth control, just single rate, demo's sound to deep for me...

My Zoom B1on mainly has patches of the Chorus, Phaser and Marshall Super Bass Amp w/ 4x12 Cap Sim all at various settings...

Not really dabbled in Compressors.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

On 28/07/2023 at 18:17, Baloney Balderdash said:

I don't have photo of my current setup, and still working on a complete rearrangement of my pedal board.

• This however is the pedals that makes up the basic core of my "amp-less" setup, that is the pedal signal chain that is responsible for my basic "clean" tone:

Mosky XP Booster (clone of the Xotic EP Booster V1) -> XVive Undulator (tremolo pedal, but never actually engaged and used exclusively for its great buffer) -> EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, with 2 preamp tubes operating at proper high 300V plate voltage, mainly used as a tube preamp stage, driven to just at the edge of the tubes's breakup point, but with some very subtle compression dialed in as well) -> Zoom B1Xon (mainly used as reverb unit, including the {very subtle plate reverb -> subtle spring reverb} patch that is part of my basic "clean" tone) -> Boss LS-2 [Loop A + Loop B Mix] (effects loop switcher/mixer) ->{ [Loop A Send] -> Joyo Oxford Sound (clone of the Tech 21 Oxford preamp pedal, which is an all analog emulation of an Orange type amp, including a simple analog cab sim filter, dialed in to deliver a low gain overdrive, and mixed with the NUX MLD Bass Preamp from effects [Loop B]) ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] -> NUX Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp + DI (loaded with a digitally emulated Aguilar Tone Hammer amp, and an Ampeg SVT-212AV IR cab simulation, with a subtle low gain overdrive blended in at a 50/50 clean/drive ratio, and mixed with the Joyo Oxford Sound from effects [Loop A]) => [Loop A Return] + [Loop B Return] (mixed at an approximate 1:2 ratio) => [LS-2 Output]  }-> ART Tube MP Project Series (tube preamp and DI, technically not a pedal though) ->

Gives me a really great vibrant and clear, but at the same time full sounding, mids heavy and very lightly overdriven, tone, and I could totally live with just that...

• Though, assuming my preferred "clean" tone was already being provided, next on my desert island pedal wish list would be the pedals that makes up my high gain distortion setup, which then would be placed after the EHX Black Finger in the above listed signal chain, looking like this :

-> TC Electroni Sub'N'Up Mini (digital polyphonic octaver, exclusively used for a custom made 1 octave up Toneprint, always used stacked into the high gain distortion setup/signal chain in front of it) -> Boss LS-2 [Loop A + Loop B Mix] (effects loop switcher/mixer) ->{ [Loop A Send] -> Mosky Black Rat (RAT clone, in Turbo RAT mode, dialed in to deliver a high gain distortion, mixed with the {Joyo Orange Juice -> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone} from effects [Loop B]) ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] -> Joyo Orange Juice (Orange amp like overdrive, dialed in to deliver a low gain overdrive, either used alone, mixed with clean signal from effects [Loop A], or stacked into the Boss Metal Zone in front of it, and mixed with the Mosky Black RAT from effects [Loop A]) -> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (dialed in to deliver a medium gain distortion, always with the Orange Juice behind it stacked into it, and always mixed with the Mosky Black RAT from effects [Loop A]) => [Loop A Return] + [Loop B Return] (mixed at an approximate 4:5 ratio) => [LS-2 Output]  }->

Which delivers a monstrous ballsy, raunchy, fuzz-esque, and massively heavy high gain distortion tone, which though is still surprisingly well defined and articulate. 

• Next on my wish list would then be my NUX Tape Core Deluxe pedal, which is a pretty amazing digital emulation of the legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo tape delay, and which would be placed after the Zoom B1Xon in the top signal chain list above.

• And last on the list would then be following modulation setup signal chain, placed after the the TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini in the second from top signal chain list above:

-> Boss LS-2 [Loop A + Loop B Mix] (effects loop switcher/mixer) ->{ [Loop A Send] -> Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger (basically a rebranded version of the Arion SFL-1, sometimes stacked into the HoTone Trem in front of it, mixed with either clean signal, or sometimes the Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser, from effects [Loop B]) -> HoTone Trem (tremolo, sometimes used with the Monarch Stereo Flanger behind it stacked into it, and always mixed with either clean signal, or sometimes the Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser, from effects [Loop B]) ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] -> Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser (clone of the original big box EHX Small Stone phaser, with Color switch engaged for deep sweep and high resonance/feedback, always mixed with the Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger from effects [Loop A]) => [Loop A Return] + [Loop B Return] (mixed at an approximate 50/50 ratio) => [LS-2 Output]  }->

Which fulfills all my modulation desires... Well almost, a TC Electronic Tailspin vibrato, which is a Boss VB-2 clone, would be a nice addition to this.

I guess if I should actually answer to the premise of the OP, which I initially overlooked, and only chose 4 pedals, it would have to be these, for a scraped down version of the core of my "amp-less" setup, for my basic "clean" tone :

Mosky XP Booster (clone of the Xotic EP Booster V1) -> EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, with 2 preamp tubes operating at proper high 300V plate voltage, mainly used as a tube preamp stage, driven to just at the edge of the tubes's breakup point, but with some very subtle compression dialed in as well) -> Zoom B1Xon (mainly used as reverb unit, including the {very subtle plate reverb -> subtle spring reverb} patch that is part of my basic "clean" tone) -> NUX Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp + DI (loaded with a digitally emulated Aguilar Tone Hammer amp, and an Ampeg SVT-212AV IR cab simulation, with a subtle low gain overdrive blended in at a 50/50 clean/drive ratio)

I know the Zoom is technically a multi effect, but in this context it would then be exclusively for my always on reverb, as part of my basic "clean" tone.

And again, if my basic "clean" tone was already covered, then this:

Boss LS-2 [Loop A + Loop B Mix] (effects loop switcher/mixer) ->{ [Loop A Send] -> TC Electroni Sub'N'Up Mini (digital polyphonic octaver, exclusively used for a custom made 1 octave up Toneprint, always used stacked into either the {Behringer MD300 Mega Distortion -> Joyo Orange Juice}, or sometimes just the Joyo Orange Juice, in front of it) -> Behrringer HD300 Heavey Distortion (Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion clone, dialed in to deliver a high gain distortion, and stacked into the Joyo Orange Juice in front of it, and then mixed with clean signal rom effects [Loop B]) -> Joyo Orange Juice (Orange amp like overdrive, dialed in to deliver a medium gain overdrive, either used alone, mixed with clean signal from effects [Loop B], or with the Benhringer MD300 Heavy Distortion behind stacked into it, and mixed with clean signal from effects [Loop B])  ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] -> [Empty Loop] (for clean signal blend, either mixed with the {Behringer MD300 Mega Distortion -> Joyo Orange Juice}, or just the Joyo Orange Juice, from effects [Loop A]) => [Loop A Return] + [Loop B Return] (mixed at an approximate 2:1 ratio) => [LS-2 Output]  }->

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

I’m more wondering is some of those old big box electro harmonix pedals would be big enough to work as a canoe and get off the desert island? 

otherwise do you think it would be possible to get the Hudson broadcast to actually broadcast? 

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I’m more wondering is some of those old big box electro harmonix pedals would be big enough to work as a canoe and get off the desert island? 

otherwise do you think it would be possible to get the Hudson broadcast to actually broadcast? 

Doesn't the Darkglass Neural DSP feature a build in photon jet engine?

If not it ought to at that price.

22 minutes ago, snorkie635 said:

make it a tandem and we could take turns touring with Nilo. 😂

I think poor old Nilo's probably topped 'hisself after having his more bonkers posts criticised  :(

.. the thing to do would be to get him pedalling away like mad on a bike that's rigged up to a generator set.. 👍

26 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I think poor old Nilo's probably topped 'hisself after having his more bonkers posts criticised  :(

.. the thing to do would be to get him pedalling away like mad on a bike that's rigged up to a generator set.. 👍

Yes, I'd noticed some of them!?

Idea of him as a generator sounds good though.

On 27/07/2023 at 08:39, Smanth said:

OK, so a desert island is not likely to have any power, but ...

If you had to select just four effects pedals (And I'm talking single effects ... not the multi f/x units) on your pedalboard, what would they be?

A tuner for myself, then whatever the guitar player could use. Oh wait, a fantasy desert island? No guitar player then! 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Okay. I’ve given it more thought!

1. Hologram Electronics Microcosm (it has multiple takes on the micro sampling delay idea, but I don’t consider it a multi-effects).

2. Moog Moogerfooger Cluster Flux.

3. WMD Geiger Counter Pro.

4. Dr Scientist Dusk.

I own two, regret selling one and have played with and since long listed after the forth.

• Like 1

Oc2 ->coloursound bass fuzz -> Lovetone meatball -> Butler tube drive -> EHX Small clone and Small stone. 

That’s pretty much my current ‘meat and potatoes’ layout., but currently it’s got a couple of other bits thrown in just for fun.

Being able to build effects pedals has its advantages!

• Like 2

I reckon that Ill be ok if I manage to bring my ancient arion metalmaster distortion. Set with near minimum drive and the bass eq knob boosted it has a sound akin to trains colliding. I dont play in a style that needs that anymore but Id like the option just in case the remaining members of motorhead also end up stranded there

A compressor, delay and some sort of modulation would all be nice but mainly that one

• Like 1

On 28/07/2023 at 21:17, Baloney Balderdash said:

I don't have photo of my current setup

On your phone (you've got a phone right?!) there's a small piece of glass on the front called a 'lens'. This directs light onto a 'sensor'. This is called a 'camera'. On your screen (that's the large piece of glass at the front) there should be an icon that says 'camera', if you use that you should be able to get a picture of your current setup (ps you have to point the small piece of glass, as previously mentioned, at the object in question for this to happen). 

Hope this helps.

Edited by Boodang

1 hour ago, Boodang said:

On your phone (you've got a phone right?!) there's a small piece of glass on the front called a 'lens'. This directs light onto a 'sensor'. This is called a 'camera'. On your screen (that's the large piece of glass at the front) there should be an icon that says 'camera', if you use that you should be able to get a picture of your current setup (ps you have to point the small piece of glass, as previously mentioned, at the object in question for this to happen). 

Hope this helps.

What the hell are you on about?

What is a phone, and what is this camera you speak of?

Sounds like witchcraft to me. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 2

MXR M82 Bass Envelope Filter is probably my #1 pedal for tweaking and noodling, have spent hours mucking about with it rather than doing 'proper' practice. There are other envelope filters I prefer the sound of, but none I've found have quite the same hands-on adjustability and immediate feel. Team up with the Auguilar Octamizer and that is a lot of different sounds. Add an MXR Brown Acid for fuzzy doom sounds (also works well with the Octamizer).

Or, if I'm being boring and practical and there is a band on the desert island: Nux Flow Tune (tuner), FEA Opti-FET Compressor, DHA VT2 (EQ/Drive/DI).

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2023 at 10:17, SumOne said:

MXR M82 Bass Envelope Filter is probably my #1 pedal for tweaking and noodling, have spent hours mucking about with it rather than doing 'proper' practice. There are other envelope filters I prefer the sound of, but none I've found have quite the same hands-on adjustability and immediate feel. Team up with the Auguilar Octamizer and that is a lot of different sounds. Add an MXR Brown Acid for fuzzy doom sounds (also works well with the Octamizer).

Or, if I'm being boring and practical and there is a band on the desert island: Nux Flow Tune (tuner), FEA Opti-FET Compressor, DHA VT2 (EQ/Drive/DI).

Interesting. I’ve never really changed the settings on my M82 after finding a setting I like.  It was fun when I briefly had two of them and played them in series and parallel at two different settings.