Why become a member? ×

Desert Island Effects ...

SamIAm

On 29/07/2023 at 14:18, Baloney Balderdash said:

I guess if I should actually answer to the premise of the OP, which I initially overlooked, and only chose 4 pedals, it would have to be these, for a scraped down version of the core of my "amp-less" setup, for my basic "clean" tone :

Mosky XP Booster (clone of the Xotic EP Booster V1) -> EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, with 2 preamp tubes operating at proper high 300V plate voltage, mainly used as a tube preamp stage, driven to just at the edge of the tubes's breakup point, but with some very subtle compression dialed in as well) -> Zoom B1Xon (mainly used as reverb unit, including the {very subtle plate reverb -> subtle spring reverb} patch that is part of my basic "clean" tone) -> NUX Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp + DI (loaded with a digitally emulated Aguilar Tone Hammer amp, and an Ampeg SVT-212AV IR cab simulation, with a subtle low gain overdrive blended in at a 50/50 clean/drive ratio)

I know the Zoom is technically a multi effect, but in this context it would then be exclusively for my always on reverb, as part of my basic "clean" tone.

And again, if my basic "clean" tone was already covered, then this:

Boss LS-2 [Loop A + Loop B Mix] (effects loop switcher/mixer) ->{ [Loop A Send] -> TC Electroni Sub'N'Up Mini (digital polyphonic octaver, exclusively used for a custom made 1 octave up Toneprint, always used stacked into either the {Behringer MD300 Mega Distortion -> Joyo Orange Juice}, or sometimes just the Joyo Orange Juice, in front of it) -> Behrringer HD300 Heavey Distortion (Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion clone, dialed in to deliver a high gain distortion, and stacked into the Joyo Orange Juice in front of it, and then mixed with clean signal rom effects [Loop B]) -> Joyo Orange Juice (Orange amp like overdrive, dialed in to deliver a medium gain overdrive, either used alone, mixed with clean signal from effects [Loop B], or with the Benhringer MD300 Heavy Distortion behind stacked into it, and mixed with clean signal from effects [Loop B])  ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] -> [Empty Loop] (for clean signal blend, either mixed with the {Behringer MD300 Mega Distortion -> Joyo Orange Juice}, or just the Joyo Orange Juice, from effects [Loop A]) => [Loop A Return] + [Loop B Return] (mixed at an approximate 2:1 ratio) => [LS-2 Output]  }->

Make that:

XVive Undulator (tremolo, but never actually engaged, used exclusively for its great buffer, or any decent buffer really) -> EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, with 2 preamp tubes operating at proper high 300V plate voltage, mainly used as a tube preamp stage though, driven to just at the edge of the tubes's breakup point, but with some very subtle compression dialed in as well) -> Zoom B1Xon (mainly used as reverb unit, including the {very subtle plate reverb -> subtle spring reverb} patch that is part of my basic "clean" tone, so even though it technically is a multi effect, I would be satisfied with just that patch, which i guess could make it count as just a single dedicated reverb pedal) -> NUX Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp + DI (loaded with a digitally emulated Aguilar Tone Hammer amp, and an Ampeg SVT-212AV IR cab simulation, with a subtle low gain overdrive blended in at a 50/50 clean/drive ratio)

Which is what makes up my basic "clean" tone and is the core of my current "amp-less" setup (bar ending with the NUX MLD Bass Preamp going into an ART Tube MP Project Series (tube amp and DI, which I suppose technically isn't a pedal, so suppose I could have that too without breaking the premises of OP?), which I am extremely satisfied with.

This is for my main instrument of choice, a just 28.6" scale Ibanez Mikro Bass, with its stock pickups pulled out, and just the reverse P pickup replaced for an EMG Geezer Butler P, which I use in tenor bass tuning, that is A standard tuning, as in the 4 upper strings of a 6 string bass tuned in regular B standard tuning, and strung accordingly, with Elixir Nanoweb coated guitar stings, threaded through the cut off ball ends of old bass strings for the strings not to fall through the bass bridge string mounting holes, of the gauges .068 - .052 - .038 - .028.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash