Why become a member? ×

Gumtree - Hi, is this still available?

It's a stock single-button response. If an item on Gumtree appears on your Facebook page and you click on it because you want to know more, the most common single-button communication that you're offered is: "Hi, is this still available?".

It's just a suggested way of starting a conversation/negotiation, nothing sinister.

• Like 3

It's apparently a way of showing some version of "interest". I've encountered this on various sites, and the people who ask this question rarely seem to be a serious potential buyer. It's actually rare to get a response back once you confirm availability.

Here on BC it seems common to post this typical question in a for sale thread, instead of pm'ing the member selling the gear. 

Sometimes when I see the "is this still available?" response on an ad here, and I look at the previous posts of the poster... They often seem to do that frequently without showing any further interest.

Personally I don't get it. When I am interested in something, I'll pm them and in case of some other sites...I'll never use the lazy people buttons.

Edited by SurroundedByManatees

24 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

It's a stock single-button response. If an item on Gumtree appears on your Facebook page and you click on it because you want to know more, the most common single-button communication that you're offered is: "Hi, is this still available?".

It's just a suggested way of starting a conversation/negotiation, nothing sinister.

Yep, and if you’re fumble-fingered or not got the specs on it’s easy to do it by mistake. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Len_derby said:

Yep, and if you’re fumble-fingered or not got the specs on it’s easy to do it by mistake. 

Yup, I do similar on here all the time on my phone - go to tap a thread title, only to be presented with the OP's profile... 

• Like 1

I've had stacks of those  " is this still ...."  blah blah on Facearsebook.

I also think its a bot, and ignore any such messages if they dont come with an accompanying message from the interested party

I don't think it's either a bot or any kind of scam. 

As stated above, it's an auto-generated message to start a dialogue with a seller. No more, no less. 

Some people will maybe be interested in something, then circumstances change, or they find it cheaper and never follow up. 

People are fickle like that.