Why become a member? ×

Inappropriate requests

Mickeyboro

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

A few years ago my last band were playing at the White Horse in Clun, Shropshire - they don't often do music but for some reason had booked us, a hard rock originals band.

We were a couple of songs into the set when a coach load of young farmers turned up; the girls promptly went to the (tiny) loo, which was right next to where we were playing. As Tim was in the middle of a solo, guitar held aloft with pained guitar-solo face and closed-but-expressive eyes one of the farmeresses came and shouted in his ear "Can you do "Summer of 69" ?"

To his credit, he held the note for a second longer, then nodded at us which we somehow understood to mean "stop", and launched into the "69" chorus on his own.

We then continued with the song we'd been halfway through.

And did the Young Farmers cheer? Nope... They'd gone outside to throw beer at each other.

I've played (and shot) in the White Horse plenty of times, and I know that scenario...  What is it with young farmers and Summer of '69, for Christ's suffering sake?!  Who wants to hear the music their parents were conceived to during a knee trembler at the barn dance in Chapel Lawn, after all?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

in Chapel Lawn

And talking of Chapel Lawn, I played there a few of times, once with Bang Bang Romeo (who went on to bigger things, someone from here played bass on their last tour?), and twice with Dredd and the Badass Weeds...

BAngBangRomeoMe.thumb.jpg.4bc473794e512b3cbd6894c778853386.jpgweedschapel2.thumb.jpg.731499138800db598baecc4a83ffd2bb.jpg

WeedsBangBang.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, miles'tone said:

Inappropriate requests? 

"Get yer moobs out!"

I had very stern words with the wife when we got home, I can tell you!

Hah, I genuinely had a group of fans hold up a digital display asking me to take my top off. It turned into a chant when I refused. I will never get my moobs out on stage

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

We play love machine, and we are a 4 piece band of 30-50-something men. Goes down a storm.

We get stupid requests, although the most stupid are oasis. as they say, I'll do anything for love, but I won't do that!

Love machine is a GREAT song, I love punk and New York hardcore but that song get me singing every time. 
When pop is done well it’s unbeatable. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cetera said:

During one of our 'Classic Rock Anthems & Power Ballads' shows a couple of months ago we had a chavvy lady (who'd obviously bought a ticket knowing, you would have thought, what we do!) approach us with a request. We don't do requests - it's a theatre show. We do Boston, Journey, Foreigner, Toto, Aerosmith, Heart, KISS etc....

She asked us for........ yep, you've guessed it.....

Wonderwall......

:facepalm::facepalm:

Well, wonders wall never cease. 😁

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, tauzero said:

What's inappropriate about that?

Our response was "go ask the organizer", thinking that she would shoot him down. She just turned and gave us a thumbs up, so we hurridly threw together a chill jazz rendition

Ok, this doesn’t really fit the inappropriate category, but it was a bit odd…

My first ever gig was with a school band. It was for pensioners from some old-folks homes, held in a church hall. I think they called it a chicken and chips dance, or chicken dinner dance. Something like that. 

Our school orchestra was playing, but my music class only had five people in it, and so we made up our own little band (piano, drums, bass and two singers). We were to perform three songs during an orchestra interval. I can’t for the life of me remember what they were, except that one was The Locomotion. The other two would have been something from the charts around the same time.

We played them and it went ok. But the old folks loved it and wanted more! But we only knew those three songs. They didn’t care, they said we should play them again! And so we did! 

Some members of the orchestra were quite miffed…

• Like 6

I was once asked to wear a rasta hat with fake dreads for a number where I was playing some Nile Rogers guitar parts. When I refused as a white non rasta and explained that it would be akin to donning blackface, they quickly hid the face paint... 

Although they couldn't see the problem. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yeah "fell". 😉

Same venue, few months later.... utterly smashed lass knocks over an entire PA stack stage right, then some ar5e think's its a laugh to steal vocalists radio mic, during audience participation bit... Venue has closed now. 

• Like 1