Why become a member? ×

The Bace - double bass / jazz bass hybrid

Quatschmacher

• Quatschmacher changed the title to The Bace - double bass / jazz bass hybrid

Sounds cool but you have double bass strings and presumably an action that if is not as high in a doublebass at least is fairly high for an electric bass. In an instrument that you fret like an electric bass. With the upright to my understanding proper fretting techniques uses the natural weigh of the arm to put pressure on the strings.

Squeezing gigantic strings in your hand as you would do on an electric bass would leave me worried about injuries

9 hours ago, tauzero said:

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

That is my sentiment, fine for the builder/player, but that’s where it should stop. To my ear it sounded far too much like a fretless bass to warrant the hassle of the larger instrument 👍

By the looks of it it hasn't got the tight radius of a doublebass so won't feel like a doublebass to play, having a Jazz neck will make it feel like a bass guitar to play. 

“An acoustic bass guitar should be a small contrabass, not a big guitar”, and then goes and puts a standard bass guitar neck on. 🤦

I like the look of it certainly , a busted cello with a Fender neck gashed on.. probably not very "ergonomic" but who cares about that.. (oh OK just about everyone but me 😁

Actually it'd be cool with some tied on gut frets like a Viol.. 

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 1