Why become a member? ×

NBD '78 Pre-EB MM Stingray

dyerseve

5 hours ago, BillyBass said:

This is the first paragraph from the Wikipedia entry on 'Woke'

Woke is an adjective derived from African-American Vernacular English (AAVE) meaning "alert to racial prejudice and discrimination".[1][2] Beginning in the 2010s, it came to encompass a broader awareness of social inequalities such as sexism. Woke has also been used as shorthand for some ideas of the American Left involving identity politics and social justice, such as white privilege and slavery reparations for African Americans.[3][4][5]

That’s the definition about it appeared to be used in a pejorative way. 

16 hours ago, BillyBass said:

40 odd years ago, when I was a punk, Rockabillies in London would all have a confederate flag patch on their jackets.  I doubt if many of them knew what it symbolised, it was a cool thing that Rockabillies wore.  I wouldn't be surprised if the original owner was in a Rockabilly band, or maybe southern rock.

Fast forward 40 years and the flag is definitely not flavour of the month in America and as American wokeism has spread here, people are generally more aware of the slavery connotations of the flag.

The OP lives in Germany though, maybe people there don't care about this so much.

I assure you that in Germany, they’re VERY sensitive to stuff like that. 

unless they’re not. And there are those who are willfully not.  If you follow. 

• Like 2

On 11/07/2023 at 11:29, BassAgent said:

Well, at the end of the day a paint scheme would dictate my ability to take a bass on stage and enjoy it to the fullest. Plus, with a paintjob like that, I think it's just as important that other people, whose family or other people they know have been affected by the politics behind this particular flag, are bothered by these looks.

Not forgetting that our very own flag can be linked to any number of atrocities throughout the last few centuries. There’s just as much slave trade history with our own country as with this flag. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, overdriver said:

I assure you that in Germany, they’re VERY sensitive to stuff like that. 

unless they’re not. And there are those who are willfully not.  If you follow. 

I am aware Germans can be very anti racist, and yes, I have heard of the AFD.  I was suggesting that maybe Germans don't care about the Confederate flag so much.  Not having visited Germany in almost 40 years, I have no idea how the Confederate flag would be considered; a symbol of Southern States culture/music...or a representation of an institution that approved of slavery.

+1 for refinishing it. You may be indifferent or not to the flag (personally I wouldn't want to have it on any of my basses), but just seeing how it derailed the conversation here entirely away from the merit of the instrument would make me want to get rid of it, it's just too divisive.

On a more mundane note, did they close the pickguard holes when they refinished the bass? It could be an interesting feature if you wanted to keep it naked once refin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vincbt said:

+1 for refinishing it. You may be indifferent or not to the flag (personally I wouldn't want to have it on any of my basses), but just seeing how it derailed the conversation here entirely away from the merit of the instrument would make me want to get rid of it, it's just too divisive.

On a more mundane note, did they close the pickguard holes when they refinished the bass? It could be an interesting feature if you wanted to keep it naked once refin.

You're right, it is a lovely instrument and it is a shame people cant see past the paint scheme to see that.

I have decided i will be refinishing it and will be interested to find out re the pickguard screw holes.

I'm hoping to refinish it with a natural finish - either like a Warwick bass with just wax/Oil or with Danish oil.

Any advice on stripping the paint gratefully received. 

I'm thinking heat gun and scraper?

On 11/07/2023 at 11:18, dyerseve said:

It's a musical instrument at the end of the day and it's paint scheme shouldn't dictate your ability to enjoy it as such.

Not planning on having it refinished as I am not bothered by the way it looks. 

You are right of course, but I suspect I'd get tired of having to answer questions if I used it live. To you it's just a design, to many others it's a lot more. Same reason I would not use a bass with a swastika or (name your political party) or football team emblem.

As long as you aware of the attention it'll attract...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dyerseve said:

If it's a nitrocellulosic finish, acetone is quite fast and easy.

Otherwise, you can try any solvent meant for this purpose.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dyerseve said:

You're right, it is a lovely instrument and it is a shame people cant see past the paint scheme to see that.

I have decided i will be refinishing it and will be interested to find out re the pickguard screw holes.

I'm hoping to refinish it with a natural finish - either like a Warwick bass with just wax/Oil or with Danish oil.

I used a tin of Nitromors and a wallpaper scraper on an old ‘68 Tele that was Candy Apple Red. It came off really easy. Not sure about how more modern finishes would take to it but a test patch in the rout or neck pocket might be worth a go?

• Like 1

On 12/07/2023 at 20:29, BillyBass said:

I am aware Germans can be very anti racist, and yes, I have heard of the AFD.  I was suggesting that maybe Germans don't care about the Confederate flag so much.  Not having visited Germany in almost 40 years, I have no idea how the Confederate flag would be considered; a symbol of Southern States culture/music...or a representation of an institution that approved of slavery.

My son lives in Hamburg with his German mrs. I could ask her if you wished. 

However, my tuppenceworth would be, if you’ll indulge me, that this is something bigger and more important than ourselves to people who, unlike us, it actually affects. 

And going by my motto of “try to be cool with others, except when they’re bellends and leave you no choice”, I’d err on the side of stripping it. It’d look better anyway. That flag looks tacky imo. There are other expressions of the American South that do not have the unfortunate baggage.  

In other news, and old Stingray is a fabulous bass to have and I wish you health to play it for many years. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dyerseve said:

For the best IMO. In the innocent days of my childhood that flag just symbolises Smokey and the bandit, The dukes of hazard (those shorts and that car) Rockabilly and something far more exciting than dull and grey suburbia. 

Not anymore. Full history here for anyone interested:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_display_of_the_Confederate_battle_flag

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If it’s just for playing at home and you like the colour scheme and paintwork I don’t see any problem , you could have anything on it, but to use it live somewhere I think people will see it as possibly making a statement of some sort ,even though you’re not, nice bass btw 

• Like 1