Why become a member? ×

Favourite Decade for Music?

How1

The radio industry orients its music programming on the theory that we most relate to what was around when we were 14 ish... so my case five years each side of 1968.  But that's bulwarks because I also totally relate to numbers /songs from whenever.

The 70s, starting in 1970 as Hendrix was still alive until later that year, through much prog, glam, punk, and new wave. Plus some classic disco and most of Abba's existence, and Queen and Pink Floyd's best albums.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lownote said:

The radio industry orients its music programming on the theory that we most relate to what was around when we were 14 ish... so my case five years each side of 1968.  But that's bulwarks because I also totally relate to numbers /songs from whenever.

Doesn't work for me either as I wasn't really interested in any kind of music until I was almost 11. By the time I reached 14 glam rock which was the music that had got me hooked was very much in decline, and punk was still at least 2 years away.

Probably 88 to 98.... the dregs of hair metal and the last decent Iron Maiden stuff, then through the grunge era and the early years of prog metal like Dream Theater and Symphony X, and onwards into more hard core stuff.  I was 18 through most of 88 so my musically formative years were during this period...  First picked up a bass in 89.

6 hours ago, miles'tone said:

I like this decade best because I can listen to anything easily. 

That is certainly a great point in that music has never been so accessible. Plus if it wasn't for YouTube, I wouldn't have discovered half so many bands. 

• Like 2

I turned 13 in late 1970, so the 70s was definitely my era. Wasn't too interested in music (other than trumpet lessons) until I was about 15 and discovered Gong and that opened the door to a world of non-commercial music for me. I started playing bass then as well, and had various permutations of bands that just jammed, learnt a lot from that. I very rarely listen to music now unless I have a song to learn for a gig, the music of my teens lives in my head and and I can listen to it internally. 

• Like 1

Wouldn't make a claim to a decade, but if you want a ten year period I'd go '73-82.

Kicking off as a pre-teen, that ten year period had a profound effect on me musically; The Sweet, Sparks, Mott the Hoople, Kiss, Queen, Rush, Aerosmith, Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Heartbreakers, Japan, Cheap Trick, Van Halen, Motley Crue.

Message ends.

• Like 2

The 70s. Not necessarily in general, but I’m a big Bowie fan and during that period he had a phenomenal run of brilliant albums and singles. These are just the studio albums:

1970 The Man Who Sold the World 

1971 Hunky Dory

1972 Ziggy Stardust 

1973 Aladdin Sane

1973 Pin Ups

1974 Diamond Dogs

1975 Young Americans

1976 Station to Station

1977 Low

1977 Heroes

1979 Lodger

If those albums were all I could ever listen to I really could not complain.

• Like 3

I love Motown but from 60 thru 70 it didn't really change a huge amount. For me it's the 70's. From 70 thru 80 the linear changes in writing, playing, sound developement and especially in the studio were immense. It started with Bowie, Prog and The Carpenters who all set their very different templates for everything we have today.

• Like 1

Probably '76 to '86 for me, and born in '73 so not my teenage years. 

Just so much great stuff going on. British Punk, second wave of Ska, Mod and Northern Soul revival and the way they all had crossovers. The NY Punk scene centring around CBGB's. The emerging electronic music. New Wave, New Romantics, Post Punk. The beginning of Hip Hop and Rap. NWOBHM, early Thrash, Hair and Glam Metal. Good old early 80's pop music. 

Styles were changing so fast. Between mid seventies and mid eighties there were huge musical changes. Most mid eighties songs couldn't have even been dreamt of in the mid seventies. 

• Like 2

I'd narrow it right down to around 68 - 73. I love music either side of that but for me, everything was at its peak around that time - song writing, recording, production, performance. The absolute peak of modern popular music for me. 

• Like 4