Why become a member? ×

Amongst all the RIPs, let's not forget ...

Happy Jack

12 minutes ago, Owen said:

Interesting. For the first 3 mins-ish Will Lee is playing almost exclusively upstrokes. Is there anything I need to know about this that I have missed?

Interesting indeed.  I've tried to think of an audio/sonic reason re sustain/note decay etc and then considered that I sometimes play upstrokes; if I've done it I 'think' it is because I can't hear myself properly and I'm trying to get maximum attack and ring (inc on deadish strings).  Could it be he was too far down in the headphone mix of the full band but I'd think he's too switched on and would know he might be too loud on the recording if he did that... shall we message him?  :)  

Until recently, I’ve been predominantly a finger player. I’m now in a covers band that leans towards songs that need a bit of attack, so I started using a pick for all their stuff. I have no explanation as to why, but my brain just wants to start on an upstroke. Unless the riff dictates that it’s more difficult to do so (crossing strings/octaves etc), it’s usually an upstroke I’ll start on.

21 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Interesting indeed.  I've tried to think of an audio/sonic reason re sustain/note decay etc and then considered that I sometimes play upstrokes; if I've done it I 'think' it is because I can't hear myself properly and I'm trying to get maximum attack and ring (inc on deadish strings).  Could it be he was too far down in the headphone mix of the full band but I'd think he's too switched on and would know he might be too loud on the recording if he did that... shall we message him?  :)  

I'd suggest he just plays like that!  I use up strokes all the time, always have done since day one, no doubt it's "wrong" but it seems natural and works for me. 

I kind of doubt he's thought "oh I'll use up strokes" as an "effect" 

Just now, Waddo Soqable said:

I'd suggest he just plays like that!  I use up strokes all the time, always have done since day one, no doubt it's "wrong" but it seems natural and works for me. 

I kind of doubt he's thought "oh I'll use up strokes" as an "effect" 

He generally plays finger style and not on a Ric, so it could just be what feels natural on that instrument for that style/genre of music.  I defo use upstrokes exclusively at times but I've never analysed why and when... until Owen pointed this out.  :)

1 minute ago, warwickhunt said:

He generally plays finger style and not on a Ric, so it could just be what feels natural on that instrument for that style/genre of music.  I defo use upstrokes exclusively at times but I've never analysed why and when... until Owen pointed this out.  :)

If you're coming from being a finger player I guess the fingers are generally doing up strokes by their very nature so it'd make sense.

I've always been mainly a pick player so that's not why I evolved preferring up strokes. I've ever analysed any of this either but interesting anyway, I wonder how many others out there are upstroke - centric? 

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

If you're coming from being a finger player I guess the fingers are generally doing up strokes by their very nature so it'd make sense.

I've always been mainly a pick player so that's not why I evolved preferring up strokes. I've ever analysed any of this either but interesting anyway, I wonder how many others out there are upstroke - centric? 

Les Pattinson of Echo & the Bunnymen was an upstroke player, and a fine one at that.

One of Flea’s favourite bass players, apparently… 

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I think Steve Severin of Siouxsie & The Banshees used to (maybe still does) use up strokes all the time.

Spot on Lozz. See here (some cracking music, with the late great John McGeoch on guitar) 

22 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

... the music lives on, regardless. That was pretty much the point, wasn't it?

Beautiful ensemble playing but, given they are a Beatles tribute act, do they really need the charts ? 

42 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Do some people use downstrokes then?

I would have thought that the most notable example of a guy who only uses downstrokes is Cliff Williams of AC/DC, who has got it down to a fine art...!