Why become a member? ×

RIP Andy Rourke

toneknob

Even though I was never a fan of The Smiths, you could tell that Marr, Rourke & Joyce had real chemistry together, and his bass lines always stood out and made the songs better (until Moz opened his gob and then ruined it all).

• Like 1

Devastating news. Starting bass back in 2003, Andy Rourke was someone who really caught my ear with his phenomenal, moving, melodic parts. Nobody has any business playing bass that well in an 'indie' type band. Also, such a unique voice on the instrument - you could tell it was him within a couple of bars, which again is quite something in the indie/pop scene.

The double whammy of this, is that we really, now, won't ever see them reunite - not that it was ever likely, but I hoped deep down, like The Police and Pink Floyd with Rog, that the impossible might happen just once.

RIP Andy - thanks for the inspiring a young me to pick up the bass and keep at it.

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1

We play a few Smiths songs on occasion, and they're the ones I look forward to the most, because those lines are the song...59 is no age, but as someone said above, there is a light that never goes out...