Why become a member? ×

If I Could Change Two Things About My Band

Bluewine

4 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

It's  work but fun work. I've always loved the idea of getting paid to have fun.

I not sure I ever have the same " work" feeling you'd get from a traditional  job.

Blue

My current band doesn't feel like any sort of work,  it's just all fun 

• Like 1

I’m really happy with my band mates; we get along, are happy to compromise and are generally on the same page.

We are 2 guitars, bass and drums, with one of the guitarists on vocals, standard stuff.  We would like to cover certain songs but can’t due to the original having keys or sax, for example, and we have trouble converting that to two guitars.  Sometimes our arrangements work, sometimes they don’t and we drop the song.

I’m nitpicking here, our set is 33 songs strong and we are adding more.

• Like 2

If I could change two things about my bands they would be:

Marches Hollow (stoner metal) - The seeming impossibility of getting us all together in the same place at the same time, and I'd stop the bass player (not me, I'm on guitar in that band) playing between songs, when we're trying to work out arrangements etc.

DJV (covers) - The seeming impossibility of getting us all together in the same place at the same time, and I'd stop the lead guitar player (not me, I'm on bass in that band) playing between songs, when we're trying to work out arrangements etc, at the same time as the singer is using his privileged position to tell us all very long-winded and boring stories through the PA.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I would bet a few folks here don't live in " find another band " territory . Areas where opportunities are limited.

Blue

Then it depends how important music is in relation to the other things in your life; and you either move to where to opportunities are less limited, suck it up and make the most of your current band situation, or pack in being in bands until one that you find comfortable being in comes along.

• Like 1

the  band I'm in is great, but I wish we went out now and then and got hammered followed by a curry (like in the old days). S'pose one can't have everything, so it's a good job the music is good...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would change the drummer to one who remembered the right tempo to count songs in and could play at less that 100% volume and not use his crash cymbal every 2 beats. I know he speaks highly of me too. I’d also drop the obsession with finding lesser know tracks from well known bands - we are a pub covers band, so we need to play what people know!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

If I could change two things about my bands they would be:

Marches Hollow (stoner metal) - The seeming impossibility of getting us all together in the same place at the same time, and I'd stop the bass player (not me, I'm on guitar in that band) playing between songs, when we're trying to work out arrangements etc.

DJV (covers) - The seeming impossibility of getting us all together in the same place at the same time, and I'd stop the lead guitar player (not me, I'm on bass in that band) playing between songs, when we're trying to work out arrangements etc, at the same time as the singer is using his privileged position to tell us all very long-winded and boring stories through the PA.

Sounds like , don't  engage him unless you have an escape plan. Lol

Blue

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MrDaveTheBass said:

1. I'd make the lead guitarist mute his amp whilst tuning up at gigs.

2. I'd make the rhythm guitarist mute his amp whilst tuning up at gigs.

This, except I'd remove 'whilst tuning up' from both statements. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Well we managed to change one thing about our band. Our lead guitarist or His Royal Highness as he was know, has fallen on his sword and buggered off. Sadly missed by no one and as an added bonus, we managed to find a great replacement within a couple of weeks.

Ya ba dab a feck*n doo!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1