Why become a member? ×

Ideas on a bass that meets these spec's, ta.

Gardenerben

I keep returning to the thought, could I get down to one bass. Looking for some input on a bass that meets the spec's I think might get me there (or at least closer).

I get the 'go to a luthier angle they'll build anything you want', but in this scenario I want to play before I pay.

The Spec:

5 string

24 fret

18mm spacing at the bridge

45 to 47mm at the nut

Excellent access (including low notes up the dusty end)

Contours for belly and forearm

Top horn to 12th fret (or less).

34" or 35" 

4.2 Kg or less

Resonant.

I'm not looking for a 'versatile' bass, I dial my instruments to how they sound best to me and that's where they'll mostly stay. Once comfort/ergonomics are sorted my only concern is do I get off on the sound and feel (playing 99% fingerstyle, no effects).  Woods and PUP configs in my experience are so variable it makes sense to just try the bass rather than second guess how it's going to sound. Budget wise certainly sub 5 figures, balance is between cost and how far it gets to satisfying my bass needs.

Looking forward to your suggestions. Cheers

MTD ?

Here are some Kingston series (£1100-£1300) but the custom shop US are much greater quality, and under £10k for a very high spec model.

EDIT: My Super 5 has 19mm spacing

image.thumb.png.6eea9e31319a627211ad4faadd8937ee.png

image.thumb.png.ff2853d18b8325b461c1d62044b05b3c.png

Edited by Machines
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would a visit to Bass Direct be worthwhile to check out their inventory?

I know you said you want to play before you pay but I would still recommend you try out some Maruszczyk basses to determine whether you like them enough to warrant a custom build. I’ve played/owned numerous Foderas over the years and I would say the Maruszczyks I’ve played/owned are 85-95% plus of Fodera quality for approximately 10-20% of the cost.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Hi Ben, doesn't your Leduc MP 524 tick all the boxes, except the weight... ?

Hey Tony, yep the Leduc gets as close as any. It sets the bar very high in every regard, if it was 4Kg or less I'd be sorted.

To be fair to my ACG Salace that is a more comfortable bass to play seated.

11 minutes ago, thebassist said:

Would a visit to Bass Direct be worthwhile to check out their inventory?

I know you said you want to play before you pay but I would still recommend you try out some Maruszczyk basses to determine whether you like them enough to warrant a custom build. I’ve played/owned numerous Foderas over the years and I would say the Maruszczyks I’ve played/owned are 85-95% plus of Fodera quality for approximately 10-20% of the cost.

Aye, I'll no doubt be darkening their door again.

I did play a really good Maruszczyk 6'er at Bass Bros, 6's not my thing but it played so easily I was really surprised. Certainly another maker on the list though thanks.

Does feel like an element of pot luck on a custom build (I guess I tend to scrutinise a commission in a different way to something I've bought off the peg)  then there's taking the larger hit when moving a new instrument on....

Hello Ben. Don't know where you're based, but as 'The Bassist' suggests, a visit to a well-stocked retailer might prove useful. I've said before, that Overwater make some of the best basses out there, so a trip to Carlisle (maybe you live there🤔), would allow you to try some of their 'in-stock' models, so you wouldn't be buying 'blind'. Also, Warwick can give you 26 frets, but the weight of a Thumb might be a bit much. Good luck whatever happens.

• Thanks 1

Hi Ben,

There's this accessory, called the Hopf Dynarette, that will help a lot fighting the weight when playing seated only and also getting that 400+ years proven classical position.

Worth give it a go, I bought an Amazon copy the time I found the real deal, but don't make this mistake, the copies are real dire compared to the original Dynarette (which has two heights, the lower working perfectly for me for the classical position playing as I mainly play sixers, so bigger basses).

By the way, you have such higher standard basses, that it will be very hard to find your perfect bass...

• Like 2

On 29/04/2023 at 13:44, Gardenerben said:

Looking forward to your suggestions. Cheers

Peavey Grind ticks all your boxes.

image.png.da96e3fd1c43a7474df49eb73fd829b1.png

Control cavity on the back has ample space should you wish active EQ, pickup cavities accept EMG 45s.

Probably pick one up for £250 tops.

On 30/04/2023 at 20:15, kodiakblair said:

Peavey Grind ticks all your boxes.

image.png.da96e3fd1c43a7474df49eb73fd829b1.png

Control cavity on the back has ample space should you wish active EQ, pickup cavities accept EMG 45s.

Probably pick one up for £250 tops.

String spacing is much less than 18mm. Excellent basses otherwise.

4 hours ago, tauzero said:

String spacing is much less than 18mm. Excellent basses otherwise.

Bridge saddle blocks can moved on earlier models with mono saddles.

Later models shipped with Sung IL BB285 bridges, spacing on those is fixed at 18mm. 

6 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Bridge saddle blocks can moved on earlier models with mono saddles.

Later models shipped with Sung IL BB285 bridges, spacing on those is fixed at 18mm. 

But the mono saddle blocks need moving, and I'm not sure where the B and G strings would finish up towards the upper end of the fretboard. Out of the box, they're 16.5mm spacing (just checked my for sale advert from a year ago).

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

But the mono saddle blocks need moving

You don't move the actual unit, just the string height blocks.

There's not a great deal of sideway room in the slot, flat file to the block's edge solves that.

It's the method I used on my T-40 5 string conversion. Whole process takes about 30 minutes, that's including removing material from the bottom for lower action.

On 29/04/2023 at 13:44, Gardenerben said:

The Spec:

5 string

24 fret

18mm spacing at the bridge

45 to 47mm at the nut

Excellent access (including low notes up the dusty end)

Contours for belly and forearm

Top horn to 12th fret (or less).

34" or 35" 

4.2 Kg or less

The Gus G3 5-string meets every single one of those requirements.

Here are my two:

Passive with humbuckers

DSC01114.jpg

Active with single coils (with series/parallel switching)
DSC02144.jpg

• Like 3

Ibanez EHB series - 45mm at the nut and 18mm spacing. Wide flat neck with great access, feather light as well. Body is angled away at the top so very comfortable, mine is 3.15kg/6.9lb but tbh it actually feels lighter as there's no dive (headless so not surprising!) and it is so slim. Basically hangs at whatever position you put it in, the only lighter feeling bass I've owned is the Aria Sinsonido which is made from helium and foam.

Get the 15xx versions or budget for a pickup swap if going for one of the cheaper ones.