Why become a member? ×

Guitar Jack tightener

markbunney

Does anyone have any experience of using a jack tightener like the one pictured?

The nut on the jack socket of my Duff Mckagen jazz bass special works itself loose (to the point of falling off) after every practice or gig.

my boss wl20 transmitter is quite heavy as well which makes the problem worse.

I am worried that by keep tightening it by hand, I’ll eventually twist/break one of the wires or connections that are attached inside.

saw the jack tightener for sale and wondered if anyone had opinions before I got one

77266652-14C8-4D47-B5F0-5EDD6B6CF7B4.jpeg

I would think what you fear is exactly what is at risk at happening if tightening the jack nut just on one side without holding on to the jack socket on the other side, preventing it from twisting around as you turn.

Also if there is not already one using a shim with "teeth" on the inside side of the jack socket and then tightening properly should prevent the jack socket from loosening in the future.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

2 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I would think what you fear is exactly what is at risk at happening if tightening the jack nut just on one side without holding on to the jack socket on the other side, preventing it from twisting around as you turn.

Thanks. I have tried taking the backplate off as well, and holding the inside of the jack whilst I tighten the outside but it still came loose.

this device is I think meant to only tighten the nut whilst holding the rest of the jack tight

12 minutes ago, markbunney said:

Thanks. I have tried taking the backplate off as well, and holding the inside of the jack whilst I tighten the outside but it still came loose.

this device is I think meant to only tighten the nut whilst holding the rest of the jack tight

I think you missed my edit:

15 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

...Also if there is not already one using a shim with "teeth" on the inside side of the jack socket and then tightening properly should prevent the jack socket from loosening in the future.

Locking washer, as suggested in the above post, was what I actually meant.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Get a small bag of lock-washers.

Switchcraft jacks and CTS pots use washers with 3/8" (9.5mm ish) internal diameter.

Lock Washer (Star) for 3/8 Pots and Jacks (pack of 8) Lock Washer For 3/8 Pots and Jacks [STAR(B)] - £2.20 : Axecaster

Barrel jacks need 12mm internal diameter

Import (metric) jacks and pots are usually smaller.

Hosco do wee baggies in all the common sizes,imperial and metric...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markbunney said:

If you already did it by taking the plate off and it came loose, the tool will allow you to tighten it without removing the plate but it'll come loose again.

Best to address the loosening by using a locking washer, whichever method you use, and ensure it'll stay tight for the foreseeable.

• Like 1

I read the blurb too, and yes it does aim to be more than a spanner. It grips the inside so it doesn't twist while it turns the nut.

If it works I think it's a pretty useful tool. I'll consider getting one.

Although as others have said, there may be steps you can take to prevent loose nut in the first place.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I read the blurb too, and yes it does aim to be more than a spanner. It grips the inside so it doesn't twist while it turns the nut.

If it works I think it's a pretty useful tool. I'll consider getting one.

Although as others have said, there may be steps you can take to prevent loose nut in the first place.

Yeah, I like the idea of having one of those in my gig bag.

• Like 1

I had a similar issue with my Jack Casady, the tool in the OP was about as much use as a bucket of warm spit.

I then  got hold of the'Jack the Gripper' tool cheap and it worked very well. (I subsequently applied some threadlock and haven't had an issue since).

Edited by MrCrane
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, markbunney said:

Thanks all for the responses, am going to pick up some thread lock and give the a try 

There are many grades of thread lock. You want a gentle one like Loctite 222. Use with ventilation and don't inhale the fumes.

All these products contain a kind of dilute superglue that is tolerably toxic until you get too much exposure to it. Then it can cause mayhem in your immune system.

• Thanks 1

I agree with those suggesting a serrated washer and, if there’s room, a second nut.

However, if you choose to go down the thread-locker route, instead or as well, this is the stuff I use:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/zap-technology-z-42-thread-locker-14329

It takes a tiny blob of it to do the job.

Edited by KingBollock
  • Like 1