Why become a member? ×

Limelight Build Quality / QC?

Supernaut

12 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Thinking of getting a custom Limelight build but wanted to ask first about their build quality and any QC issues owners have had with their basses - thanks. 

Whatever you do, don't go for a reliced bridge. It was impossible to adjust the b***ard thing on the one I bought and believe me I tried everything.

I ended up having to replace it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Whatever you do, don't go for a reliced bridge. It was impossible to adjust the b***ard thing on the one I bought and believe me I tried everything.

I ended up having to replace it.

^^ Agree - this is the only issue I'm aware of. Last time I spoke to Mark he was aware of the problem, so maybe have a word with him to see if he's changed his approach.

• Like 1

I had the same thing happen to me with a bridge and vol/tone control grub screws. I think Mark has changed his process for producing relic’d hardware. So no longer an issue if you buy “new” from him. Pot-luck if a “second hand” Limelight though.

Overall, I find Limelight instruments a good balance between price/quality.

• Like 1

I had the same bridge issue on the one I had built for me in November/December 2021, and I thought the aging method had already changed then. 

Ended up replacing the whole thing with a Gotoh aged bridge.

What I found particularly disappointing is that when I raised the issue I was told it’s unfortunate it happened and I should take it to a local guitar store…

Other than this, the bass was very well built

Edited by vincbt
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, vincbt said:

I found particularly disappointing is that when I raised the issue I was told it’s unfortunate it happened and I should take it to a local guitar store…

Not really helping themselves there were they. I can understand that sending the whole bass back from France would be a bit of an ordeal, but why not just send out another bridge unit? Bonkers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vincbt said:

I had the same bridge issue on the one I had built for me in November/December 2021, and I thought the aging method had already changed then. 

Ended up replacing the whole thing with a Gotoh aged bridge.

What I found particularly disappointing is that when I raised the issue I was told it’s unfortunate it happened and I should take it to a local guitar store…

Other than this, the bass was very well built

Did you buy the bass new, and how long after delivery did you ask for help?

11 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Not really helping themselves there were they. I can understand that sending the whole bass back from France would be a bit of an ordeal, but why not just send out another bridge unit? Bonkers.

11 hours ago, Kev said:

Did you buy the bass new, and how long after delivery did you ask for help?

Bought it new yes, I asked for help about 4 months in when I broke two grub screws trying to adjust the action.

I was told they use different suppliers and different screw sizes so it wasn’t gonna be possible to send the right replacement screws

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, vincbt said:

Bought it new yes, I asked for help about 4 months in when I broke two grub screws trying to adjust the action.

I was told they use different suppliers and different screw sizes so it wasn’t gonna be possible to send the right replacement screws

Not good at all, I agree he should have sent you out a replacement bridge in that case, or taken the bass back for remedying.  Did he at least offer to pay for the suggested local shop's work to resolve?

3 minutes ago, Kev said:

Not good at all, I agree he should have sent you out a replacement bridge in that case, or taken the bass back for remedying.  Did he at least offer to pay for the suggested local shop's work to resolve?

Nope, he just asked me to keep him updated but to be fair I decided to move on and didn't follow up 

There is a thread about this by the way:

Personally I would rather have a Bravewood than a Limelight. I've worked on several of both. Actually no ive worked on 1 bravewood and only played another bravewood. But have worked on a couple of limelights.

And I just feel like the bravewoods feel better and have the better relic/patina. 

Not that I'm saying limelights are bad. 

But Bravewoods are a step up. But so is the price. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

A bit of a tangent but seeing as this is a Limelight thread and all…

Do they do a Mustang type bass? I’ve only ever seen P and J styles but wondered…

Good question, I’d be very interested in that too

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Twincam said:

But Bravewoods are a step up. But so is the price. 

This ^^^^^^^^

I’d personally rate Bravewood>> Nash>> Limelight.  I’ve had examples of each…………and I’m not even a relic lover!

7 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

This ^^^^^^^^

I’d personally rate Bravewood>> Nash>> Limelight.  I’ve had examples of each…………and I’m not even a relic lover!

Again that's just price order isn't it? 

If Bravewood & Nash are trying to take Fender Custom Shop business, I don't think Limelight are - they're gunning for the Mexican roadworn business. Not really a fair comparison I don't think. 

No idea if they do Mustangs or not, wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to do so though assuming parts are available. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lw. said:

If Bravewood & Nash are trying to take Fender Custom Shop business,

Frankly,  I think these are all niche “one-person” type operations. Not sure that’s entirely true for Nash, but I’d think FCS don’t have any worries on that score.

I've had a Limelight and I was disappointed. I was told it would be 12-16 weeks to make but took nearly a year. It was also made with the wrong neck so that needed re-doing. When it arrived, the new case I purchased with it was ripped so got offered a £15 refund. It also had huge earthing issue which made it unplayable and surprised me how this could of not been noticed before being shipped. Told to take it to a luthier to get fixed which ended up being a couple of visits. Was only about £30 for the first fix so I didn't bother claiming that back. Then more issues with the electrics cutting out so had all the pots replaced. Pickups also couldn't be height adjusted, they were just screwed into the wood of the body so I got that fixed as well. Once I'd spent about another hundred plus to get it playable it was quite a nice bass but it was borderline at one point on ripping out all the electrics and pickups and replacing them to get it playable. That was just my experience but I know others have had no issues.

Edited by Linus27
  • Sad 1

I've had a Limelight and a couple of Bravewood's (I still have one of them), but if I was seriously thinking about getting another FSO, I would have absolutely no hesitation in ordering from Jon Shuker.

You'd get exactly what you asked for down to the last detail, he's incredibly supportive in after sales and I reckon he's give any Fender Custom Shop instrument a run for it's money - and it would be cheaper.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I've had a Limelight and a couple of Bravewood's (I still have one of them), but if I was seriously thinking about getting another FSO, I would have absolutely no hesitation in ordering from Jon Shuker.

You'd get exactly what you asked for down to the last detail, he's incredibly supportive in after sales and I reckon he's give any Fender Custom Shop instrument a run for it's money - and it would be cheaper.

I nearly posted above but I've got two fretless necks made by Jon Shuker and they are fabulous, especially the maple one which is like a piece of art. Plus hesxan absolutely top guy. I can't rate him high enough.

• Like 1

Currently have two Limelights, both excellent, both exactly what I asked for down to the different neck treatment I prefer.  One was a 'normal' style that LL do; the other was (still is maybe) unique.  The only Limelight with a one-piece Alder body.  Both comfortably within 12 weeks.

Hardware relicing is much different now to the early examples and you can ask for what you like too.  I requested very lightly aged hardware which is exactly what I received.  All the screws are fine and turn without any difficulty.

I'd have another tomorrow.

I have two Limelights - my PJ is my absolute favourite bass (and I have had a lot). Lightweight, great setup / neck and exactly what I was looking for. 

I also have a 70's Jazz but I've not bonded with that as much due to its weight and the fact that I find the pickups a little hot for my personal taste.

Saying that, both basses are really well made and I found working with the team at Limelight a pleasure