Why become a member? ×

What's in a name?

snorkie635

I was in a band called 'Fragile Earth' and it came to a planned end with one gig left to do. So we formed a fun band to do it with ex-members guesting and called it Frantic Smurf. I've used the name across social media ever since. Some time later, I found one of those little Smurf toys playing a bass guitar - hence the photo. (I know, you thought it was me. Sorry to disappoint). 😃

• Haha 1

It was 1996.  I wanted a hotmail address (pre-Microsoft).  I wanted a cool, relatively short one with NO number in it.  I scratched my head to think of something that no American would ever think of.  So I thought - local dialect.  Came up with neepheid - neep heid, lit. turnip/swede/rutabaga head ie. idiot, basically.  In Scotland there is a long and rich tradition of playful, food based insults - neep, tattie, dumplin' - all synonyms for idiot/imbecile.

Anyhoo, neepheid was indeed not taken so I snagged it and it has been my nom de guerre ever since.  Managed to keep it on most online platforms.  I use neepheid_prime when I've been beaten to it.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, neepheid said:

It was 1996.  I wanted a hotmail address (pre-Microsoft).  I wanted a cool, relatively short one with NO number in it.  I scratched my head to think of something that no American would ever think of.  So I thought - local dialect.  Came up with neepheid - neep heid, lit. turnip/swede/rutabaga head ie. idiot, basically.  In Scotland there is a long and rich tradition of playful, food based insults - neep, tattie, dumplin' - all synonyms for idiot/imbecile.

Anyhoo, neepheid was indeed not taken so I snagged it and it has been my nom de guerre ever since.  Managed to keep it on most online platforms.  I use neepheid_prime when I've been beaten to it.

It's a thing of beauty. Well done!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, miles'tone said:

You should offer a relicing service on here.

I am already there.....

"Do you have a bass guitar that is 58 years old, but lack the authentic longevity to play it?

Then you need the Memory Aging Service. With it, you can:

Forget whether you are playing the album or the live version of the song 

Struggle to recall if this band include all the key changes in Think!

Be totally oblivious that you fitted, and engaged a Drop D tuner 

You have an old bass - now you can play it like an old man"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bass_dinger said:

I am already there.....

"Do you have a bass guitar that is 58 years old, but lack the authentic longevity to play it?

Then you need the Memory Aging Service. With it, you can:

Forget whether you are playing the album or the live version of the song 

Struggle to recall if this band include all the key changes in Think!

Be totally oblivious that you fitted, and engaged a Drop D tuner 

You have an old bass - now you can play it like an old man"

😆 love it!

Appropriately, I've just sold my actual 58 year old bass and currently on the search for the right new one. 

Any chance this could work in reverse? Hoping my mental faculties might undergo a spot of 'tasteful restoration'?

Not holding my breath...

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 1

Way back when, I used to play World of Warcraft, and my guildies christened one of my characters Oopsamage (mage being a playable class in the game) as I was always falling off things, bumping into baddies and generally being a bit of a bumbling eejit, so on Joining basschat, Oopsdabassist seemed kinda fitting.

6 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

try telling that to some smart arsed copper when you get a tug in your battered BMW 3 series...

I had a tug in a 3 series when I was in my early teens.  Nobody was impressed and I was asked to leave the forecourt and never return.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Way back when, I used to play World of Warcraft, and my guildies christened one of my characters Oopsamage (mage being a playable class in the game) as I was always falling off things, bumping into baddies and generally being a bit of a bumbling eejit, so on Joining basschat, Oopsdabassist seemed kinda fitting.

WoW wouldn’t let me have KingBollock. So my main is called Slugsalter. But I do have several alts with names like Bollok, Bolloq and Bolloque. Which I didn’t think of until much later. I ain’t paying for a name change!

There’s another gaming chap online that has tried to usurp the KingBollock name. He goes by that name on YouTube, but I have the KingBollock channel. He did get the name on Steam, however, so I went with KingBollockTheOriginal. Wish I’d just gone with KingBollockOG…

I once asked him about it in the comments on one of his YouTube videos, and he told me that it was a nickname given to him by his mates… Yeah, right.

Not that I’m bitter at all…

After years of going by KingBollock on Epic Games, a couple of weeks ago they decided that I could no longer use the name. I changed it to KingBolloq. Not happy!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, KingBollock said:

WoW wouldn’t let me have KingBollock. So my main is called Slugsalter. But I do have several alts with names like Bollok, Bolloq and Bolloque. Which I didn’t think of until much later. I ain’t paying for a name change!

There’s another gaming chap online that has tried to usurp the KingBollock name. He goes by that name on YouTube, but I have the KingBollock channel. He did get the name on Steam, however, so I went with KingBollockTheOriginal. Wish I’d just gone with KingBollockOG…

I once asked him about it in the comments on one of his YouTube videos, and he told me that it was a nickname given to him by his mates… Yeah, right.

Not that I’m bitter at all…

After years of going by KingBollock on Epic Games, a couple of weeks ago they decided that I could no longer use the name. I changed it to KingBolloq. Not happy!

You should challenge Faux-KingBollock to a Bollock-off.... ⚔️

26 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

You should challenge Faux-KingBollock to a Bollock-off.... ⚔️

Now that I would win! I must sit on the damned things at least twice a day! And when my sciatica is playing up and they’re already sore… it brings tears to the eyes…

Edited by KingBollock
On, not in…
  • Haha 1

I used to work in a place that had a fella that was the absolute spit of Ned Flanders (The Simpsons), I mean he was more Ned Flanders than Ned Flanders. Anyway he was a bit useless and I used to help him out a lot, to the point I was known as his beach. This is the motor trade so banter rather than nastiness. 

My surname is Maunder and Ned's wife is called Maude so that became my name there. It stuck and I've used it online ever since. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bunion said:

I can’t not say it, it was ‘Snorky’ my ocd kicked in 😄

You're up against OCD and pedantry here, fella. Because not in the lyrics of the song, it wasnt!

Tra, la, la, la-la, la, la

One banana, two banana, three banana, four
Four bananas make a bunch and so do many more
Over hill and highway the banana buggies go
Coming on to bring you the Banana Splits show

Making up a mess of fun
Making up a mess of fun
Lots of fun for everyone