Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fender American Vintage II 60's Precision.

Stub Mandrel

Ooooh! Talk about case candy. Even has a foam  mute strip for the bridge cover. And a hootenany button. Reverse tuners. Tug bar.

From the wonderful A Strings in Pontypridd who even made me tea and did a quick setup for me while I made a deal with old nick. And not only did they have it in stock, they jad the best shop price in the UK.

20230406_160116.thumb.jpg.d3824c40db967f525cc2ebd996a60a4e.jpg

20230406_160141.thumb.jpg.84343bc1d80e186b169b5385177e9bd5.jpg

You cannot be serious...

20230406_155021.thumb.jpg.bf0b0c99e2fd5ddcc94f8ae205c053dd.jpg

World's coolest wash bag?

20230406_161004.thumb.jpg.5965477d34948ca346191b23a2e2f651.jpg

• Like 34

I really didn't appreciate what it is until I spoke to the guys in the shop. The manager said I would break his heart by taking it away.

I sort of looked at the spec and thought 'ah they do make a p bass better than the Squier CV'. Didn't occur to me that it's up with the American Ultras and the next step up is custom shop.

The extras are outstanding, case is brilliant. But I'm going to have to strip the scratchplate to get the protective film off.

P basses are funny things - seem so simple and there is SO much chocie. I think the quip about the Squier CV range is fair, you can spend £300 on a P bass and get a good one, but you probably have to spend about this much to really see the difference (read Moollon/Olinto/Mike Lull)

Nice bass and I'm sure it'll do the job 😅

• Like 2

Cripes, the case sells for £279 on its own!

https://richtonemusic.co.uk/Fender-GG-Deluxe-Hardshell-Case-Precision-Bass-Brown/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw27mhBhC9ARIsAIFsETE8kSkduBNPZ1GJxsWpKEXeJ_iwZikFXVZ5irfkP2zQeVHKrtf8jHsaAn_jEALw_wcB

That's more than all but three of my basses cost!

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Haha 1

Congratulations, what a beauty. I bet you smile every time you open the case! 

I remember early 60s Precisions had the separate shielding plate, so Fender really has gone to some lengths to replicate the original design. 

• Like 1

I'd love to hear about the neck profile if you have time, as I'm considering one of these at some point in the future.  The only necks I have not been able to handle are the ones which are wide but shallow.  A bit of depth to the neck and I'm fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wintoid said:

I'd love to hear about the neck profile if you have time, as I'm considering one of these at some point in the future.  The only necks I have not been able to handle are the ones which are wide but shallow.  A bit of depth to the neck and I'm fine.

To me it feels shallower than I expected, considering it is described as 'deep C'.

I'd suggest a try out as I find these things hard to judge, especially as I adapt my playing style so I really only notice if something is really baseball-bat chunky.

I will probably take some scotchbrite to the back of the neck as it is very glossy.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Very nice, I assume it's the one you were asking about nitro /poly finish about? 

Looks luvly anyway.. Go on, put the ashtrays on, you know you want to... 😁

It's tempting... if only to see how well the mute works

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

If you do, there's a good template for fitting the bridge cover someone on Talkbass posted. It saved me some trepidation when I fitted the cover on my P Bass!

I did notice they don't supply one.

Nice looking bass. It's funny how P basses can be so different from one another. A strings is just up the road from me.... wish I'd popped in to at least just try this one out.

Ah well, I'm still smitten by my 60's Classic series MIM Pbass.

Enjoy 😀 

• Like 1