Why become a member? ×

So what do you drive to transport your bass gear around?

Linus27

[quote name='RussFM' post='474235' date='Apr 28 2009, 02:39 PM']I just bought a Peugeot 308 1.6 HDi. Part of me wanted the CC version, and part of me wanted the SW version and an 8x10, but pretty happy with it anyway, I can get my 2x10, 3u rack case and the guitaristist's Gretch case in the boot, and my bass goes on the back seats. Probably would get an 8x10 in there with the seats down.

[/quote]

Is that a factory fitted sub in the back?

Used to have a Megane coupe and could fit my rig (see my the pic to the left) in the back and a bass on the back seats.

Changed recently to a Mazda RX8, great car to drive :) and the boot is quite spacious too but haven't put anytihng other than a couple of basses in cases in there so far. I reckon it would take the Superfly cabs easily, must go and try that this weekend.

I borrow my girlfriend's one of these:

Luckily all I've got to move is a bass, a 2U rack, a Schroeder 1212L and a pedal board.

Our guitarist and drummer take a whole 5-piece drumset, stands, cymbals, guitar, Marshall head and 2x12 in a single Peugeot 106. But if they ever had to brake hard they'd both be decapitated. They should be safe though, the brakes on the 106 are completely ****ed. :)

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='474097' date='Apr 28 2009, 12:04 PM']One of these:
[/quote]

An Aston Martin estate?
That's just wrong on SO many levels.

I don't drive. Never have, never will.
My attitude has always been "If you want me in your band you can bloody well come & pick me up".
I haven't been in a band for a while now....... :)

My own chariot is a 1995 Toyota Corolla hatch. Can just about get everything in with the back seats folded, it's old and battered and I don't give a hoot if it gets scratched or dented. Also it still has an actual engine and not a collection of plastic boxes filled with electronics, so it can be fixed by a mechanic and not a bloke with a laptop. Several of my mates have been driven to the brink of bankruptcy recently with the price of diagnostics and repairs on modern cars.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='474402' date='Apr 28 2009, 05:33 PM']My own chariot is a 1995 Toyota Corolla hatch. Can just about get everything in with the back seats folded, it's old and battered and I don't give a hoot if it gets scratched or dented. Also it still has an actual engine and not a collection of plastic boxes filled with electronics, so it can be fixed by a mechanic and not a bloke with a laptop. Several of my mates have been driven to the brink of bankruptcy recently with the price of diagnostics and repairs on modern cars.[/quote]
Had a '92 (white). Was one of my most reliable cars ever - never failed a MOT.
The downside of course was 0-60 in 16 IIRC. :)
I still see it bopping about town from time to time.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='474134' date='Apr 28 2009, 12:31 PM']That 5 cyl 2.4 diesel is a brilliant engine, but the Scirocco is so much cooler IMO[/quote]

I like them both as much looks wise, but I'm expecting that you'll see countless Sciroccos on the road fairly soon, hence putting a dampner on the coolness that it has just now. The C30 R design is a much rarer sight. Still don't know how I'll get my gear in tho! :)

Affectionately known as the Stretch Bogey or even the Torrey Canyon (wiki it if you're too young to remember) here is my 1990 Merc 230TE! 167 thousand miles on the clock, starts on the one!

[attachment=24498:26082008166.jpg]

Fits all my gear (listed below) in the back without moving the seats at all!
All my mates take the piss out of it but when there's some driving to be done guess who gets the call!

Here it is with a bit of the white stuff from earlier this year.

[attachment=24499:02022009328.jpg]

[quote name='barneyg42' post='474504' date='Apr 28 2009, 07:20 PM']Affectionately known as the Stretch Bogey or even the Torrey Canyon (wiki it if you're too young to remember) here is my 1990 Merc 230TE! 167 thousand miles on the clock, starts on the one![/quote]

Ah, the last true Mercedes, built before the accountants wrested control from the engineers. I bet it'll manage double that mileage.

I can't understand how people could not want to drive but then I've been obsessed with cars since before I could walk. If I sell enough speakers I hope to indulge in an S2000 (wondering about a shorter final drive?) at some point.

Tip for all keen drivers - experiment with different tyre pressures front and back. I can get my Type-S doing very nice balanced four wheel drifts around roundabouts with the front tyre pressures 1.5 psi higher than the back (and all a few psi higher than recommended). And one more tip - don't flick into corners too sharply when you have an untethered combo on the back seat, my old Peavey took out a window in my Nova at uni.

Alex

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='474570' date='Apr 28 2009, 08:48 PM']I've got a BMW X5. My wife has a BMW X3 which actually has more room inside. They also have consecutive number plates - I'm so embarrassed (it was her not me - honest).[/quote]

Which one of you is it that charges past on the M25 at 90 mph in the rain talking on the phone? :)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='474572' date='Apr 28 2009, 08:49 PM']Which one of you is it that charges past on the M25 at 90 mph in the rain talking on the phone? :rolleyes:

Alex[/quote]

That's *southerner* BMW drivers you're thinking about. We're in Scotland - it's different. It's for the mud, snow and the dogs in the back.

Ok... it'll be the wife of course :)

Ah, that's ok then.

Actually, it's not just southerners, have you ever been to Wilmslow? I was deriding a ML63 AMG with personalised number plate when I was last in that vicinity and then realised it was a close family friend driving it. And he also has a TVR Griffith 500 so that makes him ok in any car nut's book!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='474576' date='Apr 28 2009, 08:56 PM']Ah, that's ok then.

Actually, it's not just southerners, have you ever been to Wilmslow? I was deriding a ML63 AMG with personalised number plate when I was last in that vicinity and then realised it was a close family friend driving it. And he also has a TVR Griffith 500 so that makes him ok in any car nut's book!

Alex[/quote]

Yeh - I have a good friend who used to live on the Wirral so I know all about it. Actually he had a TVR as well but just one of those unreliable 80's wedge ones!