Why become a member? ×

Bass straps - what you using ?

dmccombe7

1 hour ago, jacq said:

I am looking for a wide strap that is not very stiff. Also, I'd like to have a fluid length adjustment.

I have GruvGear Solo Neo and Minotaur straps.

Both are quality straps but quite stiff and it is a bit of PITA to adjust them (impossible while playing).

I am considering Comfort Strap or Mono Strap. Any other options that you can think of? 

Pinegrove and/or Italia Leather are the ones I use and fit your above requirements. Italian are up to 4" wide and really supple, good ability to adjust too.

https://italiastraps.com/collections/4-inch-wide

They have a constant BOGOF offer too. 

Edited by binky_bass

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

Pinegrove and/or Italia Leather are the ones I use and fit your above requirements. Italian are up to 4" wide and really supple, good ability to adjust too.

They both have the same type of adjustment as my Minotaur strap - an interwoven looping strap. Like this:

image.thumb.png.0d6b99f29353dfecbdbf962a30747c97.png

This is not easy (not as easy as I like it to be) to adjust and is definitely not a fluid/smooth adjustment.

My basses are ~4kg each. Standard P and standard J.

• Like 1

Harley Benton Wide Leather Padded Strap BK

Material: Suede

With 6 mm memory-foam velvet padding across the strap's entire length

Width: 85 mm (~3.4")

Length adjustable from 105 to 150 cm

Colour: Black

Made in Greece

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_wide_leather_padded_strap_bk.htm

image.thumb.png.4eb2a196675107412ab11e974af3f0ce.png

It's a great looking and amazingly comfortable strap, that makes even heavy basses and guitars comfortable to wear and play.

However the memory foam that, together with its width, makes this strap so comfortable to wear is not covered by any protective fabric or similar, but just, seemingly, somehow treated with something that makes the foam somewhat more resistant and durable, this, as I kind of feared, has made the foam sensible to sweat, which it to some degree will absorb (something I experienced while using it this hot summer), and when it dries up causing the foam to become slightly harder/less flexible and seemingly somewhat dryer, appearing like as if it might had become more porous and prone to break off. 

Now the foam has not actually deteriorated in any way, and it becoming slightly harder/less flexible has not actually affected the comfortability of the strap either, but I am kind of suspicious that, as the foam gradually gets exposed further to stuff like sweat over time, it will eventually.

I find this oversight a bit strange, but guess they do save a few bucks by not having the foam protected by an additional layer of fabric, and thereby being able to sell it a bit cheaper than they otherwise would, but honestly I would have been willing to pay that, I imagine fairly neglectable, extra price, for having had this otherwise pretty amazing strap made less prone to potentially deteriorating to the point of rendering it useless with time.

In any case, despite this, as with most Harley Benton products, it is pretty astonishing value for the money.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jacq said:

They both have the same type of adjustment as my Minotaur strap - an interwoven looping strap. Like this:

image.thumb.png.0d6b99f29353dfecbdbf962a30747c97.png

This is not easy (not as easy as I like it to be) to adjust and is definitely not a fluid/smooth adjustment.

My basses are ~4kg each. Standard P and standard J.

Get two with the BOGOF and set them to different lengths. 👍

No metal work within the adjustment mechanism on the strap means no scratches on the bass! 

No disagreement that they're not the easiest to adjust, but they sure are nice straps! 😁

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

Get two with the BOGOF and set them to different lengths. 👍

No metal work within the adjustment mechanism on the strap means no scratches on the bass! 

No disagreement that they're not the easiest to adjust, but they sure are nice straps! 😁

already have 2 straps with "non-easy" adjustment. I always find that the perfect setting would be somewhere between the factory-made holes. 

For that reason (plus the fact they are a bit stiff) they are not being used (for the lack of anything else I use a simple guitar strap).

Anyway, I ordered Kliq AirCell for the test.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, urbanx said:

Stand aside gents.... I win this one... 

Mine is a yellow fire hose that served at RAF Wittering for 25 years! 

305826229_10166424263730257_8489721574269280355_n.thumb.jpg.b4cd1b0057fa80c8f34021a2fdad4950.jpg

(Pictured with my Jag, but looks awesome on my new 'Tequila Sunrise' Meteora! 

400854408_10168039480350257_6428409924547636971_n.thumb.jpg.48c6f8c1ac99fcd962922c7cf1fb540f.jpg

That's pretty cool, though I am more interested in the bass, more specifically that amazing red finish, is it just that picture, or does its actual color really resemble that of the photo, and if so was that the stock color and what is the name of that finish?

Also what is it, a Squier/Fender Jaguar (judging from the controls), or something more exotic?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

I have a Lekato padded strap: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334402284873

s-l1600.jpg

Adjustable at both ends so you can position the pad just where you want it, and it's easy adjustment too. There's enough room inside the stitching around the strap button to punch out a 10mm hole for Schaller straplocks. And you can probably afford to buy four for the price of most of the other suggestions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

That's pretty cool, though I am more interested in the bass, more specifically that amazing red finish, is it just that picture, or does its actual color really resemble that of the photo, and if so was that the stock color and what is the name of that finish?

Also what is it, a Squier/Fender Jaguar (judging from the controls), or something more exotic?

Ah cheers! It's a 2007 Fender Jaguar Bass in Hot Rod Red. MIJ. It's pretty awesome. I've had it through maybe 200 rowdy gigs over the last decade. (I only switched to the Meteora this summer.) It's the stock finish, it's a well lit photo but I've not done anything to it. It also has a cool colour-coded red headstock. 

The only thing non-stock on it is the two Tipp-Ex dots you can see on the bass and treble wheels, it just allows me to see if they're centered (they're plain black anonymous wheels) 

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dazm66 said:

For the heavy basses this: KLIQ Music Gear AirCell Guitar Strap for Bass & Electric Guitar with 3" Wide Neoprene Pad and Adjustable Length. Super comfortable. 

https://www.kliqmusicgear.com/collections/guitar-straps/products/aircell-guitar-strap-for-bass-electric-guitar-adjustable-black-short

Yup, my choice too, got these on both my gigging basses 👌🏼