Why become a member? ×

Sharing equipment? This is how some use their amps

mcnach

I went to our local Pirate Studios rehearsal rooms, and this is how I found the amplifier's controls:

IMG_20230224_200439367.jpg?dl=1

Maxed output, maxed bass EQ and maxed drive, and the 'shape' button engaged.

I would like to tell you all how that sounded, but the amp was dead and needed to get a replacement. The 410 sounded pretty anemic with the replacement amp head, I wonder if some speakers were blown and if that led to the damage on the first head... I told them what I found, what they do with the info is up to them.

• Haha 1

I play there regularly and I've noticed the bass amps sometimes have some very extreme EQ settings, when I first plug in.

I assumed that a cleaner had just given it a good scrub and had turned all the knobs in a random manner.

By the way, in room 7 the Ashdown 4x10 has an ever so slightly farty speaker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gjones said:

I play there regularly and I've noticed the bass amps sometimes have some very extreme EQ settings, when I first plug in.

I assumed that a cleaner had just given it a good scrub and had turned all the knobs in a random manner.

By the way, in room 7 the Ashdown 4x10 has an ever so slightly farty speaker.

That was room 10, by the way. Hopefully ok by now (this was 2 weeks ago).

The last hired rehearsal studio I went into had similarly weird settings left on the head, but fortunately it was an ancient Peavey Century that would only have delivered maybe 100 watts, so no damage done.

We've mostly been rehearsing with our own gear in a space the trombone player has, I stash a cab there and bring my own head, and it's so much nicer to use familiar stuff.

• Like 1

Yeh, pirates rooms have some clowns messing everything up.

We used to use the pre production room and literally nothing was ever right. Nothing was connected to what it was supposed to be, nothing worked apart from the odd pa top, and worse it gave some of us bad hearing issues.

We now use the smaller room and it's better.

Weirdly our drummer has to set up their drum kit every time (pro drummer) takes him about an hour to get everything right with the kit that's left in the room in a right state. Then magically 7 days later someone has come in and put it back to next to useless again!

I had the Pirate experience last week for the first time.  The bass amp sounded like a jam jar full of wasps. I set it flat and applied small tweaks to EQ over a few songs before finally settling for... a jam jar full of wasps. It was horrible.  I think you have 20 minutes from the booking start time to contact the mother ship to register a complaint so  I'll try that tomorrow.  Fortunately we'll be back in our regular studio from next week.  

I really don't like the little crAshdown bass amps in pirate. I seem to recall they have those detent pots. terrible. 

I once leant an old marshall JCM900 to a chap at a gig. Also had to tune his guitar for him before he played. Their drummer played so hard a pint of water vibrated off his drum monitor straight into me amp. Not ideal. 

3 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

I used Pirate studio in Glasgow once. Never again.

It`s just a place to go with your mate`s, get stoned out of yer brain and crank up some tunes.

Or maybe that`s just Glasgow!

Sounds exactly like what I'd be looking for.

It's that way here in dublin also. What else would one being doing in a studio?

Edited by lidl e

I posted something worse than this a few years ago, a graphic eq where every band was maxed or dropped to the lowest setting - absolutely all over the shop - and sounded like it. I got flamed for posting it, even though it was clearly, absolutely insane!

I just want to know, in what situation would an EQ like that ever make sense 🤣.

On 13/03/2023 at 10:54, mcnach said:

I would like to tell you all how that sounded

S'ok I can help with that. In a small rehearsal space?..... Hideous! Having said that us oldies have all been there in another life cranking the amp to make up for zero technique. Oh to be a teen again. Not.

• Like 1