Why become a member? ×

Swapsies anybody???

TheGreek

Watching the "for sale" ads I can see that there are many of us who are downsizing or clearing out gear which we aren't using. I, for one, have far too much gear but that doesn't stop me from acquiring more. I also note that at the moment many members are selling to fund other purchases because seemingly money is tight. Between us all we must have enough parts for several builds which would be more cost effective if we could trade x for y in the marketplace. I'm looking for a gold bridge and gold tuners but have a chrome high mass Fender bridge and numerous chrome tuners that I would trade and others might want. Same with pedals which I'm sure are on peoples GAS list. 

I know that money is tight - the news tells me so - why can't we go back to the good old days where we could barter two fish for half a sheep?

I'm putting this out there to gauge whether there would be any interest in adding a "Swap/Trade" option to the Marketplace. 

• Like 10

Don’t people already do this by adding ‘FT’ to their ads? 
If a swap/trade board is added, does this mean you can’t add a sale price for those that wish to purchase? 

Edited by Bunion

A few years back I wanted to swap a Fender maple neck for a rosewood boarded one.  It did seem somewhat counterproductive to have to list it for sale (and add a price) when I didn't really want to sell it, just change it.

I'd say yes to a swap area, most definitely.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ped said:

Access to the Marketplatz is dependent on paying a fee for items over £50 hence having to add a ‘trade value’ (even if you want to swap). 

How about having access to a Swap section as a bonus to the Marketplace subscription ? I think a purely Swap section is a great idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The trades thread makes it clear:

image.thumb.png.87dbad547b9cf1109ddf52803c4f0107.png

However items are often advertised of little value which many of us may have, unwanted, in our parts drawer. Rather than pay money for such items why not buy or trade them a set of strings, etc - e.g. I want a standard Fender BBT style bridge - everybody has at least one - low value item - "you can have it for free" - to balance the Karma scales I'd prefer to trade them a set of strings, a gig bag (I must have at least 5 I don't use) or something similar. 

The forum rules exclude such transactions though.

I have loads of parts which somebody could use for a build. I want some parts for a new project - I can't reduce my parts drawer, instead I need to part with cash for parts that somebody else doesn't necessarily need/want but can't bring themselves to part with because "somebody's bound to want it at some point".

To me, it doesn't make sense to acquire more parts using my hard earned when somebody here has that item which they won't miss. 

Only takes an amendment to the Recycling and Items Wanted rules and we can turn items we don't want into items we do.

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Call me thick but what's to stop trade items being listed in the for sales?

It's a matter of semantics.  In my case I didn't want a direct sale, but I still had to list my item as being for sale (with a price).  

I don't really know how the sub-forums get set up, but honestly feel an I Got Swapsies area would see more activity than the backdoor selling in the what's it worth area.

• Like 1

It’s more about the software than the rules per se - if there was an area where swaps were allowed with no inputting of a price then it would need policing to make sure people don’t use it to trade basses etc which understandably requires a sub. So we’d need to put an upper limit on the value or something, which would put us back where we are now but with the value being declared so it’s free to post items under £50. 

I understand the issue of posting a value if you only want to swap but there’s not really a way around it - think of it as saying ‘I have £300 worth of bass pickups to swap’ and maybe out ‘for trade’ in the thread title?

If a 'Swapsies' area was open only to those that had already paid to use the 'For Sale' section, then I don't see the harm either way. 

Or... if possible, in addition to having to list a value, there could be an option that you need to select before you list your item for sale:

SALE ONLY

TRADE ONLY

SALE OR TRADE

There could then be a filter in the 'for sale' section where you can select ALL, SALE or TRADE and if selecting ALL you see everything, if selecting SALE you then only see items flagged as SALE ONLY or SALE OR TRADE and if you select TRADE you'd only see items flagged with TRADE ONLY or SALE OR TRADE.

That way you can see everything if you want, sale items if you want or trade items.

That'd get my vote. 

Edited by binky_bass

On 04/03/2023 at 20:47, TheGreek said:

why can't we go back to the good old days where we could barter two fish for half a sheep?

I'm putting this out there to gauge whether there would be any interest in adding a "Swap/Trade" option to the Marketplace. 

You are Keith Chegwin AICMFP!