Why become a member? ×

*ON HOLD* Ready to Regret this, baby on board... Ric 4003 Ruby Red - *SOLD*
£2100
Northampton / London / Drive / Post

Ander87

Well - Just learnt I'm gonna be a dad this year - I'm not a kid anymore and somehow I wanted this more than more basses (what's going on with me!?), so I've got to act up on it - I'm not desperate for the money but having about £8k worth of gear being only in one band with what's coming up is excessive. Ah, it was nice whilst it lasted.

Bringing you a 9lbs, fantastic condition Rickenbacker 4003 in Ruby Red, from 2017. The bass was bought from the Bass Gallery, and has since been upgraded to a Nordstrand Nordenbocker (original pickup included); the bass has also been treated to a Hipshot bridge instead of the original, which feels great.

IMPORTANT: This bass is now well settled and adjusted - full crowning and levelling / electronics / setup by Robbie Bowman, head luthier of Gordon Smith Guitars. I can guarantee this is as nice a Ric as you can find/play, since the wood (trapped under varnish in this odd design that fanboys call 'quirks') is now completely settled. I spent a good penny to have a great playing bass into a perfect example of Ric 4003. Binding solid, no sharp edges, no pickup bent as this is the structurally sound placement of the neck pickup, truss rod in perfect shape... No surprises - just a perfect playing Ric 4003.

It does play perfect and it's in great condition, with no wear/human/external blemishes since it left the factory.

Looking to get back what I've put into it - I encourage anyone to try it, but odds are you'll buy it if you do - you've been warned!

Not really looking for trades as I just want to clear some debt etc - I'd love a JMJ blue but argh, no, better not start there.

PS: I love this bass, so take it off my hands whilst you can otherwise I may withdraw - not desperate and I know my band will kill me when they know it's gone!

image.thumb.png.c1b8e051e493cf23b32f2dc865b52912.png

image.thumb.png.fd62ede105338551132a0e960913adb8.png

image.png.f1b5c3c554a1a28d020842eaf5d4c1c5.png

image.thumb.png.7a7e3182d7b821aa0b459b425f56f3ce.png

image.thumb.png.c415c3655070fb5f71de25b817585d2c.png

image.thumb.png.71e8b8195de614c6482ed3d2a89d43a0.png

image.thumb.png.e0e5846051be9b8bfbbe3f44b72e723b.png

image.thumb.png.032a207d2a6967ce30a0db97f19b8882.png

Edited by Ander87
  • Like 20

haha thank you Dave!! It really is a truly sensational beast! NYXL 45-105 are new from mid January when the bass was setup, also.

I think I will have to consider a JMJ to have on floor level for the creature as my 'non-push gift' :D 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ander87 said:

haha thank you Dave!! It really is a truly sensational beast! NYXL 45-105 are new from mid January when the bass was setup, also.

I think I will have to consider a JMJ to have on floor level for the creature as my 'non-push gift' :D 

I guess that’s another advantage of a roadworn bass. What’s one more knock? I wouldn’t let anyone anywhere near that Ricky! Mine are teenagers now but my bass is still in it’s hard case when not being played 

• Like 1

Haha thanks a lot, s/he’s coming in making trouble already! @Skybone believe me I want to keep her, you’ve been participant of my research and digging in to find the right 4003, and now that I’ve found it… ah, life!

Very mixed feelings about this sale!

• Like 1

Haha cheers Paul! The buggy will be sponsored by his/her dear grandparents but still some holes to cover…!

I picture kids like my trips to Costco. You come out and suddenly don’t even know how much you left at the till, but you numb yourself with a large pizza if you’re lucky. 

1 minute ago, Buddster said:

but just wanted to say I'm impressed with the Teletronix compressor in your rack.

haha I wish! This is from Southsea Sound, the studio where we’ve recorded our last EP…! I’ll pass your comments to Tim 😉 

Huge Congratulations on the news Ander, so pleased for you. Being Dad means Basses will occasionally need to get sold, but more will come. I still miss the Ken Smith I sold to pay Santa Claus for my eldest when she was 2  she's 14 now 🤪

It's a very lovely Bass, im sure the pain of selling will dull in time 😁, all my best to you young fella x

Edited by lee650
  • Thanks 1

Congrats Ander - my son is leaving uni this year so I’m preparing for the reverse 🤪.

As everyone has said, thinning the herd is a lovely problem to have as you prepare for the the new arrival. You can’t chose your family but you can chose your bass collection ….. and basses are easily replaced.

• Like 1

Thank you guys! Yes, basses come and go, the buggers stay forever 😂 

I am doubting myself everytime I play this bass trust me, it just plays absolutely perfect - I have to take my other two to Robbie since the work on this bass is making them jealous I think 🤣

Trust your families are great ❤️

• Haha 1

On 22/02/2023 at 09:08, Ander87 said:I think I will have to consider a JMJ to have on floor level for the creature as my 'non-push gift' :D 

I thought you had a JMJ? Or did you sell it? Sure there was one on the wall when I picked up the Sunn?

• Like 1