Why become a member? ×

Your flanger experiences…

BassBeast

I always thought I hated flanger, cause I wrongly associated it with only being able to produce over the top metallic jet plane noises.

However a couple of years ago I unexpectedly got my Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger (a rebrand of the Arion SFL-1 one) back, after having borrowed it to a friend way back and forgetting all about it, originally having bought it used in a deal together with a Monarch chorus and phaser in the same series of pedals (also Arion rebrands) sometime around the mid 90's for pretty much peanuts, something like less than half of what just one of those pedals goes for used now for all 3 pedals together.

I figured I might as well try it and was surprised with how nice it actually sounded.

Capable of some really beautifully shimmering bubbling modulation with a subtle vocal like quality, or more abstract, but perhaps more saying about the character of this effect, akin to carbonated spring water.  

It's currently on my main board, placed in one of the effects loops of a Boss LS-2, and either blended with clean signal in about equal measures, giving the effect described above, at the same time subtle and very precent, like not blurring the original signal at all, as pronounced modulation effects otherwise can have a tendency to, or mixed with a phaser, placed in the other effect loop of the LS-2, giving a really pronounced and very psychedelic deep swirly swooshing effect with a somewhat quacking quality, and a somewhat mystical oriental vibe to it.

Actually this flanger has even become my absolute number one favorite modulation effect, and I actually think flanger works particularly well with bass.

And if I was only allowed to have one modulation effect this would be it.

This is how it looks, not my unit though, just a random Google image (and don't let the plastic housing fool you, it is proper Made in Japan quality, and the fact that mine still works flawlessly, despite being a pedal from the late 80's, and the fact that my unit has seen a fair share of abuse, ought to speak for it self. And as said sounding absolutely astonishing):

monarch-mfl-22-stereo-flanger-sn-230124.

I do plan on acquiring a Boss BF-2 clone, probably the TC Electronic Thunderstorm one, and an EHX Electric Mistress clone, probably the Mooer E-Lady, at some point, cause I also really like how those sound, but I still very much doubt either of those will knock the Monarch off my board.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

I love flanger on bass, just got to be careful to not have too much swirl as it can sound a bit out of tune.

For a really good album full of flanger, listen to Simple Minds - New Gold Dream. It was a huge part of Derek Forbes bass tone using his MXR Flanger pedal.

• Like 2

There are some good you tube videos dedicated to that question.   
I watched them. 
still a bit uncertain.   They do sound different.

soundwise: 

technically they cover the differences in this video.    But I feel, not all that well.

I hope this helps.   I’ve got both, and for me the flanger is more versatile and easier to dial in the sound you’re after.

• Thanks 1

EHX Electric Mistress. Took me ages to get a sound I liked that wasn't too over the top and didn't boost the bass excessively through the flange cycle (I have it on a slow rate). Then I got a one-off gig for an Eagles tribute and had to get a decent OTT flange sound for 'that bit' in Life in the Fast Lane. I ended up finding that sound in my MS60b.

I don't use flange often (I'm more of a phaser phan.... er fan) but the Electric Mistress sits on the board just in case.

• Like 1

Moog MF Flange is my favourite, just a slight volume drop tho not sure if it’s just perceived that way.

ADA pbf is also on my radar !

I also have Mooer E lady, not bad. Also have a DOD bass flanger that actually sounds better than the Moog with my Moog Minitaur synth .. flanger is my fav bass modulation effect.

Not sure if I want to take Moog on a (pub) gig tho lol …

• Like 1

I really like flangers on bass. I’m currently shifting between an ADA PBF Flanger and a Southampton Utility Knife. I know you’re on the lookout for the former (it took me a while to find but they periodically pop up around the £200-250 mark - good luck In snagging one too!) and it is good. It’s got quite range to it (which can make it a little challenging to dial-in) although, perhaps oddly, I often prefer it in guitar mode to bass mode. The Utility Knife is also excellent, having had design input from Josh Broughton from Broughton Audio, but is also unfortunately tricky to find.

I’ve also really liked using the Empress Nebulus, which gets into a similar place as the above but the form factor is a little less attractive, and the Jam Ripply Fall. The one that has got the most use though is the Boss. I think Justin Chancellor still uses a Boss flanger and I can’t think of anyone who uses it more effectively than him!

My favourite was always the Brown BOSS Bf2b, great range of usable sounds. Currently got a couple of nice Flangers set up on my Source Audio Gemini. The MXR Bass chorus deluxe has a fantastic Flanger setting, doesn't go as crazy as the Boss can, but a fantastic swirly sound. The EBS Unichorus flanger setting is very subtle and more like a chorus really but a great sound nonetheless.

I want the "Waiting for an Alibi" Tone pretty much 😁

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lee650 said:

The MXR Bass chorus deluxe has a fantastic Flanger setting, doesn't go as crazy as the Boss can, but a fantastic swirly sound…

I want the "Waiting for an Alibi" Tone pretty much 😁

I forgot about the MXR! I think that’s one of the best and better as a flanger than a chorus. It looks nice too.

Great song and great tone.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, admiralchew said:

I really like flangers on bass. I’m currently shifting between an ADA PBF Flanger and a Southampton Utility Knife. I know you’re on the lookout for the former (it took me a while to find but they periodically pop up around the £200-250 mark - good luck In snagging one too!) and it is good. It’s got quite range to it (which can make it a little challenging to dial-in) although, perhaps oddly, I often prefer it in guitar mode to bass mode. The Utility Knife is also excellent, having had design input from Josh Broughton from Broughton Audio, but is also unfortunately tricky to find.

I’ve also really liked using the Empress Nebulus, which gets into a similar place as the above but the form factor is a little less attractive, and the Jam Ripply Fall. The one that has got the most use though is the Boss. I think Justin Chancellor still uses a Boss flanger and I can’t think of anyone who uses it more effectively than him!

Would love to source a Southampton Utility Knife. Very hard to find…

My first pedal was NUX flanger but then I migrated to chorus. I just got myself a Fender Hammertone flanger this week as there are some great Siouxsie and the Banshees and Cure songs that use it. Chorus is still my main modulation but sometimes I just want the swirl and feedback only a flanger can get me. It seems like a pretty fine pedal too, plenty of tone sculpting available for my needs at least.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/02/2023 at 09:31, Pamparius said:

Has anyone experience with the past fx offerings?

pastfx.com

They are one of the few who put a volume control on almost all of their pedals.

I have the Past FX Elastic Mattress and recently bought the Reticon Flanger too.  

They both great, especially the Reticon, but I used to have an Electric Mistress Deluxe back in the early 80’s and I remember it with more fondness than I have for the Past FX pedals.   I may have a more discerning palette these days…  or be remembering the EHX with rose tinted headphones. 
I need the “Hot for Flanger” too though, for the sake of completeness.  Check out Leon Todd for the most insane review of that.  He nails the Eddie VH tone perfectly.

(although as a bassist and big Lizzy fan I’m mostly just going for the “Waiting for an alibi” tone, like you.)

BTW the other flanger that seemed good is the Alexander F.13 flanger.   It seems pretty well functioned.   There’s an older version.1 which can be got for around £120 on evilBay and a newer version.2 at £160ish.   I’d like to hear one, but like most of the ‘less-mainstream’ brands, nobody stocks them, …you just have to buy to try unfortunately.