Why become a member? ×

Basses you regret not buying!

kevham

A lovely Modulus Quantum 5 with a natural quilted maple top and (fairly unusual on one of these) 19 mm string spacing at the bridge. I think it was @whynot who was selling it. I've come to love graphite necks, and I love the looks of the Quantum model. It had a Buy It Now price of 700 GBP, which was more than fair - cheap even. Someone else figured the same, because it resurfaced on eBay just days later for more than double. That one hurt! 

Most Warwick's... Mainly the Double Buck when they were German made and £800 new in 2006/7. 

Every 80s Aria that I see coming up....

Funny thing is I had a Warwick Streamer LX and didn't gel with it. I tried a Double Buck a few years back and the neck was basically an entire tree. I had an 80s Aria too and I think I got to it twenty years too late. But there's one on eBay right now....

3 hours ago, paul_5 said:

A fretless Wal for £700 in the early 2000s. 

Now that was a real bargain!

I tried a fretless Wal in 1989 - it was £999 but I couldn't play fretless so didn't go for it. Bought my Washburn Status instead (which I still have).

I wish that I'd bought BACK my Status Kingbass when it became available again but it was one of those periods where I was trying to downsize - WHAT WAS I THINKING!!! - seller sold to to somebody in Germany so chances of it coming back are not good. It was actually greener than the photo suggests.

Status Kingbass.jpg

Ah man, too many, too many…

Used to go to college above the old Bass Centre in Wapping. Some key low-price regrets:

1970’s Fender Telecaster bass

Lawsuit era Ibanez Rickenbacker copy

Japanese Marcus Miller Jazz Bass

Wal Mark 1

Sideline note of all those Akai Deep Impact pedals just after being discontinued but just pre-Muse…

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

I wish that I'd bought BACK my Status Kingbass when it became available again but it was one of those periods where I was trying to downsize - WHAT WAS I THINKING!!! - seller sold to to somebody in Germany so chances of it coming back are not good. It was actually greener than the photo suggests.

Status Kingbass.jpg

I wonder if that's the one @wombatboter now owns. Who is in fact Belgian, not German. Though I have no doubt he can put on a convincing German accent when pushed :lol:

FB_IMG_1675797128498.thumb.jpg.5ab7e6344efabe9aa2130c67b94f836b.jpg

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 2

After recording countless review videos for some of the nicest basses out in the wilds, I regret not buying many of them. I only have an empty wallet to save me from the weaknesses of GAS!! So, less of a case of didn't, more, couldn't.

I'd love to have bought: (off the top of my head, there are SO many!)

Overwater Progress IV 5 string Standard

Mayones BE (Though I wanted a BE5)

Mayones Viking 

Enfield Lionheart 4

PRS Kestrel 4

Fender USA '58.. if anyone can find a roasted Ash model.. YUM!

Everything by Dingwall, but the ABZ 6, one of the first basses I reviewed was amazing.

Vox Star bass (Aguilar version)

Roscoe Fretless 6

Spector 4 LT

Cort A5 Ultra 

A Maruszczyk fan fretted jazz bass. 

Soooo many!!! Just a few of my video reviews you can see HERE for a guitar mag and HERE for Bass Gear Magazine

There are hundreds more out there but will keep ya busy for a wee bit! Don't get me started on amplifiers, cabinets and pedals!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2023 at 11:46, kevham said:

Does anyone GAS after basses that they wish they had bought but didn't.

I've found myself wanting the Reverend Mercali that Merchant City Music had for a while a few years back.  I wonder where it is now?

reverend-mercalli-4-left-handed-bass-metallic-alpine_-roasted-maple-neck-front.jpg

Guess I bought it

Edited by Bass Punk

On 07/02/2023 at 11:46, kevham said:

Does anyone GAS after basses that they wish they had bought but didn't.

I've found myself wanting the Reverend Mercali that Merchant City Music had for a while a few years back.  I wonder where it is now?

reverend-mercalli-4-left-handed-bass-metallic-alpine_-roasted-maple-neck-front.jpg

B843FAF3-A3C7-4ED5-990F-3827A8633459.thumb.jpeg.f2d5359bd73c540abcceb677c1b932f2.jpegGuess I bought that one

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...