Why become a member? ×

“All original”

Burns-bass

49 minutes ago, fleabag said:

I know you're trying to be hilarious

No, not really.  I leave that to people like cannon and ball.

You having stated that items do not have a gender I was simply pointing out that it took but a picosecond to think of an item that does have a gender, albeit one arbitrarily assigned by its manufacturer. 

The hilarious bit, as inadvertent as it was, is disproving your statement so effortlessly.

12 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It's an expression of endearment, usually. I have several guitars, basses, drum kits etc... Only a couple of them get the term 'she'; those I hold most dear. One could say the same of pet animals, really. Goldfish and bats are 'it'; fluffy kittens and gun dogs are 'he/she'. It's not really a gender thing at all; when a friendly dog approaches a stranger, there will often result a 'Who's a good boy, then, eh..?' Whether a male or female dog matters little. It's of no consequence, really; just a matter of personal affectivity (or not...). My car, for instance, is 'it'; the old 403 ambulance I once had was definitely a 'she'; costly to run and capricious, but I was saddened to part with her. :friends:

Dad, if there was anyone around these parts that could possibly make me see the error of my ways it would be you, but I just can’t get with the programme, especially where basses/instruments are concerned!

And being a bleeding-heart, (non) tofu-munching, Guardian-reading, lily-livered liberal I can confirm that “he” raises the same levels of perplexity as “she”, so there’s no gender bias here, sir!

I’m slightly disappointed, mind, that you’d refer to your bat as ‘it’ and not its given name - Roger or Peter or Marianne etc. 

3 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

No, not really.  I leave that to people like cannon and ball.

You having stated that items do not have a gender I was simply pointing out that it took but a picosecond to think of an item that does have a gender, albeit one arbitrarily assigned by its manufacturer. 

The hilarious bit, as inadvertent as it was, is disproving your statement so effortlessly.

Just now, fleabag said:

Well done. You can have pedant of the year award

10 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

...I’m slightly disappointed, mind, that you’d refer to your bat as ‘it’ and not its given name - Roger or Peter or Marianne etc. 

What..? Must I go down in History as a surrogate Batman..? Must I, once again, declare to have never, ever, owned neither bat nor goldfish; these two species being quoted simply as examples of genderless sentient creatures, seldom, if ever, referred to as 'he' or 'she'..? I could have chosen mongooses, or pterodactyls (No, I have owned neither either..!).
This folly must stop, and right away. The rumour must be nipped in the bud, scotched, squashed and quashed before what little of any reputation hanging onto me by a thin and soundly-worn thread be forever stained with this untruth. I refer to bats, goldfish, mongooses and pterodactyls equally as 'it', and am not a Goth..!
I trust I have made myself clear..! My legal team will deal with any further aspersions of the sort. That is all. ¬¬

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

What..? Must I go down in History as a surrogate Batman..? Must I, once again, declare to have never, ever, owned neither bat nor goldfish; these two species being quoted simply as examples of genderless sentient creatures, seldom, if ever, referred to as 'he' or 'she'..? I could have chosen mongooses, or pterodactyls (No, I have owned neither either..!).
This folly must stop, and right away. The rumour must be nipped in the bud, scotched, squashed and quashed before what little of any reputation hanging onto me by a thin and soundly-worn thread be forever stained with this untruth. I refer to bats, goldfish, mongooses and pterodactyls equally as 'it', and am not a Goth..!
I trust I have made myself clear..! My legal team will deal with any further aspersions of the sort. That is all. ¬¬

Protests a little too muche I thinke.... 

• Haha 1

This thread has set a new bar* level for getting so far off of the original topic, so fast. Whether that is a high or low bar* is for your own cogitation.

*PSI conversion unavailable at this present time.

19 minutes ago, ezbass said:

This thread has set a new bar* level for getting so far off of the original topic, so fast. Whether that is a high or low bar* is for your own cogitation.

*PSI conversion unavailable at this present time.

Is that an all original bar you’re using?! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

This is the man who says he isn't a pedant...

I  rests my case, m'lud.

Hmm... Not sure where this idea comes from; many posts over the last decade or so would rather point to the opposite. I did, once, five years ago, hint at such in a sarcastic manner; does that count..? :/