Why become a member? ×

Preamp pedal in to effects return

SteveXFR

I've never been 100% happy with my Orange Terror 500 mk1. Its plenty loud but turning up the gain sounds really wooley and I want plenty of gain. Yesterday I tried my Two Notes Le Bass straight in to the effects return which I believe bypasses the Orange preamp and just uses it's power section. It sounds much better but could it cause any harm? I had to run the master volume a bit higher but I guess that's just because I'm missing the preamp gain.

1 hour ago, pbasspecial said:

To be fair, I changed the preamp valve on my old OBT. Really easy to do. 10 min job. 1 min to change the valve, 9 mins to unscrew it. 
If I can do it, anyone can 😂

I had the amp repaired last year after the power section blew up. While he was in there he checked the preamp and was of the opinion that the valves were fine. He said it just sounds how a mk1 Terror sounds. 

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

He said it just sounds how a mk1 Terror sounds. 

Yes, but the Mk I Terror needs to sound how YOU think it should sound, and the originals had issues. Don't ask me how I know.

Changing the preamp valve is a genuinely simple job and it opens a whole new rabbit hole for you to fall down. 🤑

Not surprisingly for a nearly 12-year-old thread the useful and informative photos are long-gone, but the text will still tell you all you need to know:

And no, I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA where those seals came from. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ah well, now we're "dancing about architecture", aren't we? 😉

I had three OTBs at different times, with an interesting assortment of preamp valves in them. I don't think the word woolly ever crossed my mind, so I'm not about to make great claims for what re-valving can achieve.

Hell, for all I know you're playing a 50s Gibson through it with an enormous mudbucker!

34" scale Precision tuned down SIX steps and you think it's the AMP that's woolly?

Are you using the BEAD strings from a 5-set? I've done that myself and it works of course, up to a point, but IMHO there are few 34" scale basses that can properly deliver a low B, let alone a low A#.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Yes, but the Mk I Terror needs to sound how YOU think it should sound, and the originals had issues. Don't ask me how I know.

Changing the preamp valve is a genuinely simple job and it opens a whole new rabbit hole for you to fall down. 🤑

Not surprisingly for a nearly 12-year-old thread the useful and informative photos are long-gone, but the text will still tell you all you need to know:

And no, I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA where those seals came from. 😂

It's always a good idea to replace the seals while you've got the amp stripped down. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Are you using the BEAD strings from a 5-set? I've done that myself and it works of course, up to a point, but IMHO there are few 34" scale basses that can properly deliver a low B, let alone a low A#.

Four string sets B E A D are available. I use a set on my Warwick Streamer. They work well.

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Nope, just a simple Mexican P bass but tuned down to A#

You need a j pickup in there.

Detuned precisions all sound woolly or downright flubby. It’s just the nature of the pickup and notes that low.

There’s a reason why there’s hardly any 5 string basses with just a P pickup, and it’s woolly flub.

The answer is a Jazz or a PJ bass.

I’ve got a cheap 32 scale PJ that is often in Drop A and there’s no flub.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Detuned precisions all sound woolly or downright flubby. It’s just the nature of the pickup and notes that low.

There’s a reason why there’s hardly any 5 string basses with just a P pickup, and it’s woolly flub.

I used to use a Stingray 5 string and didn't find that any better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Personally I'd go with a humbucker, preferably with the option to split the coils. Best of both worlds. 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I've never been 100% happy with my Orange Terror 500 mk1. Its plenty loud but turning up the gain sounds really wooley and I want plenty of gain. Yesterday I tried my Two Notes Le Bass straight in to the effects return which I believe bypasses the Orange preamp and just uses it's power section. It sounds much better but could it cause any harm? I had to run the master volume a bit higher but I guess that's just because I'm missing the preamp gain.

All good.

I use the effect return to bypass the tone stack and front end of the amp , I run a multi tube pre so l get a warm tube sound with some serious slam behind it. 
Downtuning a Pbass that far might cancel that though.

• Like 2