ReeV0

Which would you choose?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose?

• Cort Modern 5
    • MTD KZ5
    • Yamaha TRBX505

Hi all,

Looking to buy my first 5-string. I've played them in the past but never owned one. My requirements are under 9lbs, 19mm string spacing and under £1000.

I've sort of narrowed it down to three contenders, so just looking for any opinions...

1) Cort GB Modern 5 - new, £1000
2) MTD KZ5 (fitted with Aguilar Big Singles) - used, £700
3) Yamaha TRBX505 - new, £450

Really struggling to decide on one as they all seem to tick the boxes.

The only one I have tried (and will be able to try) is the Yamaha, and it seemed... ok. Only tested it quietly in a shop so didn't get a great sense for the sound, but it seemed like nothing special, a bit bland. Was comfy to play though, even though it is 18mm rather than 19mm.

I like the look of the MTD and have heard great things about the asymmetric necks, but it has the factory preamp which apparently is subpar, and also not a big fan of single coil pups due to the amount of noise.

The Cort also has single coil pups (Nordys rather than Aggies) and the bass hasn't been out for very long. But all the reviews say it's fantastic (although slightly aware that all the reviews on Youtube seem to be sponsored by Cort). Just not a big fan of the two color schemes but it's not a dealbreaker.

Any advice from current owners would be amazing 🥰

Edited by ReeV0

KZ5 by a mile. I had the standard model with factory preamp and MTD P/Us.

If the quality of the B-string is your primary concern, the MTD is in another league to pretty much anything else - let alone your other choices. I found the standard Pre-amp nicely voiced - a lot of that biting MTD sound was present. I think people began this trend of swapping them out because it's the done thing to do with them, rather than just using their ears. The standard pickups I had (double coils though) were practically silent.

Good luck in your hunt!

Edited by 40hz

6 minutes ago, 40hz said:

KZ5 by a mile. I had the standard model with factory preamp and MTD P/Us.

If the quality of the B-string is your primary concern, the MTD is in another league to pretty much anything else - let alone your other choices. I found the standard Pre-amp nicely voiced - a lot of that biting MTD sound was present. I think people began this trend of swapping them out because it's the done thing to do with them, rather than just using their ears. The standard pickups I had (double coils though) were practically silent.

Good luck in your hunt!

Thanks for your input. I am actually leaning towards the MTD, but I used to play an Ibanez SR1205 with Nordstrand Big Singles, and when solo'ing one pickup, it was so noisy! Not sure how the Aguilars compare

I picked up a KZ6 this week, still getting used to it but it does have a real nice B string. The preamp is... fine? I'm still dialing it in.  Can't say I've noticed the asymmetric neck, but I'm very taken with the playability -- it's definitly the most "articulate" bass I've played, very responsive to your technique.

8 minutes ago, velvetkevorkian said:

The Cort looks nice but you're better sticking with the used market imo, that £1k bass swiftly becomes a <£600 bass whereas the MTD will likely hold its value even if you don't take to it.

This is the advice you are looking for. I am biased and love my MTD Kinsgton. But that aside, it has hit it's resale floor and it will be an easy way to get your money out again if 5 is not for you. I know we all dream that we will bond with THE ONE but the reality is that what we are looking for changes and not taking a huge 40% hit on money in an instrument is a very good thing.

Preamp yes or no? As soon as the drummer and guitarmageddon kick in, no one is going to be saying "dude, you tone was speaking to me. Your subtle lift at 2Khz let me see into your soul." More bass? Yes. More treble? Yes. Less of both? Yes. I am aware that this is a contentious opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I would get the used MTD, is that the one that's been floating around on FB for ages? A lot of bass for the money and less of a gamble although I suppose the new basses could be returned.

It was this one

https://reverb.com/item/64478379-mtd-kingston-z-5-bass?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=64478379

• Like 1

@ReeV0 - I'd really recommend buying second hand. You'll get either twice the bass for the same money, or the same bass for half the money. If you then decide you've made the wrong choice you can just sell the bass on, probably break even and buy something else! Ive been doing it for YEARS and still love playing a new bass which may or may not end up being kept! 

Loads of great second hand basses on here... Two good options mentioned above. Also worth looking at the Brubaker NBS1 5 string for sale (no affiliation to me). 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

@ReeV0 - I'd really recommend buying second hand. You'll get either twice the bass for the same money, or the same bass for half the money. If you then decide you've made the wrong choice you can just sell the bass on, probably break even and buy something else! Ive been doing it for YEARS and still love playing a new bass which may or may not end up being kept! 

Loads of great second hand basses on here... Two good options mentioned above. 

Thanks, I usually buy used but prices seem to have shot up, whereas places like Peach Guitars have very good new prices

4 minutes ago, ReeV0 said:

Thanks, I usually buy used but prices seem to have shot up, whereas places like Peach Guitars have very good new prices

Most sellers are open to negotiation. The ACG, STR and Brubaker would all be twice the asking price if bought new, if not more. There's a nice 5 string Overwater too which is probably £1500 at least less than the 'new' price. Gotsta buy what's right for you! For me, personally, a bit of negotiation with a keen seller often nets you a great deal! 

I've played the Yamaha TRBX 605, which essentially is the one you played with fancier wood. I did not get on with it at all. I ordered it in at PMT to try before I buy, thinking it would tick all the right boxes, but it didn't. I found the cheaper basses there, like the Sterling SUBs to be far better for playability and tone. I'd note that prices have gone a bit bonkers now so I don't know if the price differentials are the same.

It's clearly a marmite bass. When it was no longer reserved for me and PMT put it on the shelf, it was gone within two weeks.