Why become a member? ×

Bass head with valve pre, what's good nowadays?

andydye

4 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

I'm surprised I haven't seen an Ashdown ABM mentioned yet! The valve drive on my ABM 600 warms things up nicely. Really flexible EQ too. It should pair nicely with your Barefaced 610 too. 

That's a rig I run and it's magnificent. Such a good amp, like really good and with the Barefaced 6x10 its mighty

• Like 1

21 hours ago, walshy said:

That's a rig I run and it's magnificent. Such a good amp, like really good and with the Barefaced 6x10 its mighty

Am playing the UK Blues fest in Skegness this coming weekend and I believe the house rig is an ashdown 600w so I'll get to meet one :)

Edited by andydye
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

I'm surprised I haven't seen an Ashdown ABM mentioned yet! The valve drive on my ABM 600 warms things up nicely. Really flexible EQ too. It should pair nicely with your Barefaced 610 too. 

I was going to say the same. I currently have an ABM-500 paired with a Barefaced Two10 and it sounds looooooooooooooovely. Hoping to upgrade to the ABM-600-EVO-IV in a few months when funds allow as the 500 is only on loan.

4 hours ago, andydye said:

We're on the introducing stage

Yes they had Ashdown amps on the introducing stage when I played there - tho at the punk weekender. It’s what switched me to Ashdown, I just loved the solidity of the sound it in combination with my Para Driver, there was the H-word to the sound.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes they had Ashdown amps on the introducing stage when I played there - tho at the punk weekender. It’s what switched me to Ashdown, I just loved the solidity of the sound it in combination with my Para Driver, there was the H-word to the sound.

But did it have girth?

• Haha 3

Love my GK Fusion S 800 head. It pair's great with the two10 (albeit a little overpowered) so I'm sure the one10 will work great.

It was perfect for warm smooth base tones to accompany some slightly folkier stuff. More recently I've been using it for some very aggressive snarly punky noise stuff and it's blown me away. The tube overdrive channel is great, I wrote it off a bit foolishly when i got the head but after getting to know it I'm fully sold.

I genuinely think you could get a solid tone for just about anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merton said:

This looks very cool indeed. Thankfully we’ll out of my price range and I’m very happy with my Trace head but… nice!

Tried to order one, well the Capo,  paid and waited 10 weeks for ‘next day delivery’ from an Italian distributor. Nothing and tracking was none existent. Waiting for my full refund. They do look good but I’ll not be trying to buy again 🤷‍♂️

Edited by walshy
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, walshy said:

Tried to order one, well the Capo,  paid and waited 10 weeks for ‘next day delivery’ from an Italian distributor. Nothing and tracking was none existent. Waiting for my full refund. They do look good but I’ll not be trying to buy again 🤷‍♂️

Do you mean you bought direct from their site?

34 minutes ago, walshy said:

Nope their Italian music store distributor as direct was a 4-6 week wait and these guys had one in stock, well allegedly 

Ahhh thats a shame. For what it's worth from speaking to others who ordered directly from JF it sounds like they were super helpful and instantly gave a refund for a discrepancy between their site and the reverb price so was a little surprised to hear anything negative.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

Ahhh thats a shame. For what it's worth from speaking to others who ordered directly from JF it sounds like they were super helpful and instantly gave a refund for a discrepancy between their site and the reverb price so was a little surprised to hear anything negative.

Yeah Im kinda gutted as I really wanted to give it a whirl. Hey ho, maybe I will wait for a 2nd hand one to appear

• Like 1